• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

That One Show Everyone Loves But You Hated

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Breaking Bad

A unique premise to be sure, but there isn't anything to do with it. As such, the plot gets nowhere in absolutely no hurry what-so-ever and the series conclusion is inevitable and exactly what you would expect.

Acceptable acting and characters that are at best and only at times mildly interesting. Quirky characters like Saul and Jessie and the brother in law are no saving grace.

But good GOD it's so BOR-ING!! Nothing ever happens. Only a few seasons build up to some shocking scene that happens late season that everyone sees coming and that could have just as easily been reached in half the time and that's with just half the padding.

Also South Park, Family Guy, American Dad and all those other "edgy" teen toons that spout profanity and bash on current events to make teens think they're being clever and contrarian. These shows are lame, dumb, and superficial- and in highschool I got sick of having to hear every dudebro regurgitate every line from the latest episode before every class. Seriously, by final bell I had already heard the latest episode in its entirety a dozen times over.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Futurama
Family Guy
Pretty much every reality TV show or sitcom
The Walking Dead
Law & Order
Pretty much any crime show (except NCIS, love that one)
Everything on Freeform (I only watch that channel for movies)

I hate a lot of TV. I only watch the USA network for NCIS and Comedy Central for shows like Key & Peele and the occasional Tosh.0 or South Park but I'm not too big on those two these days. I like the older South Parks, and Tosh's best episode was the kid-friendly one with no "offensive" jokes.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I never liked Fraiser, or Cheers, but theyre a bit too American for me. Though i do like Kelsey Grammar.

On the flip side; I like Gotham, dont know anyone else that does.
Gotham S1 put most people off the show, but I was one of the ones that stuck through to the greatness that was S2.

I live under a rock so I don't know what shows everyone loves. Though. I have a friend who loves that Fox series, Lucifer, and won't stop ****ing make jokes about it directed at me and that show's entire premise pisses me off so much. I can't stand it.

I don't care for most reality shows, either. Oh yeah, and Glee. That was a terrible show.

Misty

Ronin
Also South Park, Family Guy, American Dad and all those other "edgy" teen toons that spout profanity and bash on current events to make teens think they're being clever and contrarian. These shows are lame, dumb, and superficial- and in highschool I got sick of having to hear every dudebro regurgitate every line from the latest episode before every class. Seriously, by final bell I had already heard the latest episode in its entirety a dozen times over.

I mean, I totally agree with you about the latter two, but South Park....I dunno, it sorta sounds like you hate it for its fanbase...which tbf, I totally understand, but I feel like when you get right down to it, South Park is often really thoughtful, sincere, and clever about that which it lampoons, considers, or makes the episode about. Take for example the episodes about homelessness...instead of it just having it be some sorta "haha homelessness and this is all the fault of republicans", they were funny while touching on the subtle fact that curing homelessness often isn't as simple as giving more money, because that just attracts the homeless without really solving the problem so you end up making things worse while having had the best of intentions. They have a lot of episodes of that caliber and I don't think that is lame, dumb, or edgelordish. I also think it is unfair to reduce them to that or put them in the ranks of Family Guy and ilk. They were, in many ways, the first of their kind and took on the standards of a day. They might be edgelords, but they defined edginess in television. I'm not saying you have to like them, but I do think...I dunno, respect? That sounds dumb, but something like it is due and that reducing them isn't terribly fair.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I live under a rock so I don't know what shows everyone loves. Though. I have a friend who loves that Fox series, Lucifer, and won't stop ****ing make jokes about it directed at me and that show's entire premise pisses me off so much. I can't stand it.

I don't care for most reality shows, either.
Ooh, that's another good one for me. I know the show is extremely controversial, having The Devil being the protagonist, but I enjoy it. My agnosticism may help with that fact, I admit.

Ooh, that's another good one for me. I know the show is extremely controversial, having The Devil being the protagonist, but I enjoy it. My agnosticism may help with that fact, I admit.
Religion has nothing to do with it for me. It's just a really obnoxious (the guy cast as Lucifer is really ****ing annoying too) show with a terrible story. It's literally deviantART fanfiction quality writing. There have been a surplus of "religiously controversial" shows lately; that's irrelevant really.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Religion has nothing to do with it for me. It's just a really obnoxious (the guy cast as Lucifer is really ****ing annoying too) show with a terrible story. It's literally deviantART fanfiction qulity writing. There have been a surplus of "religiously controversial" shows lately; that's irrelevant really.
And that's why I enjoy Ellis as Lucifer. I admit the writing is imperfect, but I care less about the writing and more about the characters, so makes sense how we're on different sides of the show.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Gotham S1 put most people off the show, but I was one of the ones that stuck through to the greatness that was S2.

Their loss.

Comic book fans are a particularly ... discerning bunch. From what I hear a lot of them have written Gotham off because of "Muh Lore!" or "That's not how they did it in the comics omigosh Firefly is not a gurl BUUUUUrrrrrrrrn!"

But seriously, S1 was kinda slow-ish and didn't have much pay off, but compared to other shows Gotham's first season was riveting. I will just straight up not watch a show that fails to get me in its first episode.

I mean, ... [all the things]

Yeah, SP kinda kicked off the teen pandering edge lord genre family guy and all the other knock offs jumped in on. But SP itself is really just Simpsons cranked up to 11 and with hardly any subtly. Still, I gotta give it credit for pretty much trashing on everything in equal measure and never holding back. Also Ima child who gets a titter out of potty mouths so I can't help but crack it up any time Eric says literally anything. I just don't hold SP in any high regard.

Breaking Bad

A unique premise to be sure, but there isn't anything to do with it. As such, the plot gets nowhere in absolutely no hurry what-so-ever and the series conclusion is inevitable and exactly what you would expect.

Aside from showing the slow but gradual evolution of a normal family man to someone who turns to selling drugs when he gets cancer to guarantee a future for his family to turning into a drug kingpin with the ambition to rule his own drug empire, which is a complete 180 from when the show began? As well as showing the destruction of the loving relationships around him, with some of the most well developed characters in the history of TV? With some of the most believable, emotional acting ever on TV?

Also, ''quirky'' characters aren't objectively bad just because you don't like them.

But good GOD it's so BOR-ING!! Nothing ever happens. Only a few seasons build up to some shocking scene that happens late season that everyone sees coming and that could have just as easily been reached in half the time and that's with just half the padding.

It's not an action heavy series, it's a drama heavy series. Plenty'' happens'' once you empathize with the characters. Also, while some of it is admittedly inevitable, it's more about the journey than the destination; the buildup is half the excitement, with the way they react when they find out the man that they loved turned out to be the drug lord they've heard about. Hank was more or less Walt's best friend, comforting him when he thought that him and Skyler were having marital problems, to taking part in celebrations with him, to even good naturedly snarking at him. Watching his face of realization when he puts it together, and letting Walter know that he's figured it out and exploding was amazing.

It's damn near perfect. It's in my top two favourite shows of all time.

Reactions: Dio

Feverish

Source of stink
I mean, I totally agree with you about the latter two, but South Park....I dunno, it sorta sounds like you hate it for its fanbase...which tbf, I totally understand, but I feel like when you get right down to it, South Park is often really thoughtful, sincere, and clever about that which it lampoons, considers, or makes the episode about. Take for example the episodes about homelessness...instead of it just having it be some sorta "haha homelessness and this is all the fault of republicans", they were funny while touching on the subtle fact that curing homelessness often isn't as simple as giving more money, because that just attracts the homeless without really solving the problem so you end up making things worse while having had the best of intentions. They have a lot of episodes of that caliber and I don't think that is lame, dumb, or edgelordish. I also think it is unfair to reduce them to that or put them in the ranks of Family Guy and ilk. They were, in many ways, the first of their kind and took on the standards of a day. They might be edgelords, but they defined edginess in television. I'm not saying you have to like them, but I do think...I dunno, respect? That sounds dumb, but something like it is due and that reducing them isn't terribly fair.
There was also the time soon after 9/11 where the episode making fun of terrorists and Osama aired. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the first to make fun of it at the time. It was kind of a pick-me-up for people and brought some humor back into what was a frightful time

I don't watch much TV, and from the shows I happen to see, most of them disinterest me. A particular type that annoys me are Reality TV. I just don't really see how that classifies as entertainment. Idk if shows like The Bachelor are shown outside Australia, but it is INCREDIBLY stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom