• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tears of the Kingdom Teba question

So why do you think Teba got the short end of the stick? He didn't get to become a sage, but the other 3 did. The other 3 meaning Sidon, Riju, and Yunobo. BOTW followed the formula that the 4 of them were part of, but now Teba is the odd one out, replaced by Tulin. Why is this? It doesn't bother me that much, but I did find it odd that Teba was the only one that was sidelined

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Personally, I think it's an age dynamic thing. I suspect that someone on the writing team thought it would read better with younger audiences if one of the sages were a kid. It feels out of place and I don't get it, but I think that was the logic.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In my opinion I think Teba is the oldest one out of all 4. He already had a wife and kid in BotW while the others were basically still in their youth. Plus it could be that he couldn't do his task as a Sage properly with a family back home. On the otherhand, Darunia turned out to be a sage and also had a kid. It's indeed odd. I like Tulin and he's cool but I also wouldn't mind if Teba played a much bigger part because he's cool too!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I actually have a theory about this. This supports AoC as canon for me.

The reason why Tulin awakened as the Sage instead of Teba is because Teba has never been shown to have the same power over wind that Revali had. In BotW, he revered Revali and always wanted to achieve the same heights, but he was never shown to actually be able to perform Revali's Gale. Meanwhile, in the AoC DLC we see Tulin is actually able to use Revali's Gale even as a child. He also senses the flow of the wind to lead the adults out of Korok Forest safely. This is not something he was ever even remotely hinted at being able to do in BotW. AoC is what introduced the concept of Tulin having power of wind, and it was carried into TotK. It also tracks with his inital attitude when you first meet him. Tulin had a huge ego about his power because he was the only one who could use it, and when he went back in time for AoC's events the great Master Revali himself praised his talents. Naturally, he'd get a big head about it once he grew into his power. I think it also tracks with Teba, the gruff loner who wanted to fight Medoh by himself, turning into a capable village elder and cooperative leader that stresses the importance of working together. He gained that experience leading armies in AoC and brought that with him into TotK.

When you think about it solely from BotW's perspective it does seem a bit odd, but when you consider AoC, it makes perfect sense. Thats how I feel, anyway.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I actually have a theory about this. This supports AoC as canon for me.

The reason why Tulin awakened as the Sage instead of Teba is because Teba has never been shown to have the same power over wind that Revali had. In BotW, he revered Revali and always wanted to achieve the same heights, but he was never shown to actually be able to perform Revali's Gale. Meanwhile, in the AoC DLC we see Tulin is actually able to use Revali's Gale even as a child. He also senses the flow of the wind to lead the adults out of Korok Forest safely. This is not something he was ever even remotely hinted at being able to do in BotW. AoC is what introduced the concept of Tulin having power of wind, and it was carried into TotK. It also tracks with his inital attitude when you first meet him. Tulin had a huge ego about his power because he was the only one who could use it, and when he went back in time for AoC's events the great Master Revali himself praised his talents. Naturally, he'd get a big head about it once he grew into his power. I think it also tracks with Teba, the gruff loner who wanted to fight Medoh by himself, turning into a capable village elder and cooperative leader that stresses the importance of working together. He gained that experience leading armies in AoC and brought that with him into TotK.

When you think about it solely from BotW's perspective it does seem a bit odd, but when you consider AoC, it makes perfect sense. Thats how I feel, anyway.
This!! Perfect explanation and I think it’s spot on!

I think it also tracks with Teba, the gruff loner who wanted to fight Medoh by himself, turning into a capable village elder and cooperative leader that stresses the importance of working together. He gained that experience leading armies in AoC and brought that with him into TotK.
Love this so much, nobody references AoC in TotK which makes sense, but it does seem like Link and his companions are much closer friends than if they had just had one adventure together.
Personally, I think it's an age dynamic thing. I suspect that someone on the writing team thought it would read better with younger audiences if one of the sages were a kid. It feels out of place and I don't get it, but I think that was the logic.
I think it's this, but also having a much larger Teba flying around next to you would take up too much screen space. And he got injured in BotW so maybe he doesn't fly super well. And maybe the Rito sage descends through Saki and not Teba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom