• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

But everyone else surely knows what FF is but are not too familiar with the characters in FF. For the average person when they think of FF, they do not think of Cloud. I know I do not.

I'd have to greatly disagree. I can't speak for yourself of course, but I severely doubt that any other character in FF comes close to Cloud's popularity and ability to be recognized (the closest you could probably get in modern day is Lightning, but that's only because she's been forced on fans through multiple unnecessary sequels and is the most recent main character). I say this because FFVII has done what no other main entry could do, and that's become a franchise in and of itself - it has prequels, sequels, and even a full-fledged movie that's some of the most gorgeous 3D animation I've ever seen. Cloud is a central figure in each and every one of these, being a key character and undoubtedly being the main character of the franchise. No other FF game or character even comes close to the amount of attention and marketing that FFVII and Cloud have received (even the Kingdom Hearts series has featured more FFVII characters than any other FF game), so it's difficult to claim he's not the most recognizable of the bunch.

But even then, that wasn't really my point. My point was that any gamer or person who claims to be a big fan of video games could definitely tell you that the character was Cloud if you showed them a picture (I feel like not everyone could tell you who Zidane from FFIX or Bartz from FFV were from a picture). This is just like how I think anyone who is a fan of video games could recognize Master Chief and Solid Snake quite easily as well, which is why I put them together. Your average Joe who's not a fan of video games probably couldn't tell you who any of the three were (The closest he'd get would probably the "the Halo guy".)

I severely doubt that any other character in FF comes close to Cloud's popularity and ability to be recognized
I agree with you totally there. This just means he is the most popular FF character. This does not mean every gamer will know who he is though.

My point was that any gamer or person who claims to be a big fan of video games could definitely tell you that the character was Cloud if you showed them a picture
Not every gamer has played the FF games. Or seen the movie. You could be big into many other game IPs and not the FF IP, or not even played any FF games. For example you could be a primarily sa Nintendo console gamer and never played a main story FF game. But that's just one example of many. When Cloud was announced on the direct I had to google him up to refresh my memory. Once refreshed I remembered who he was, but there was no instant character recognition for me. Master Chief and Snake are much more iconic characters in my opinion.

Your average Joe who's not a fan of video games probably couldn't tell you who any of the three were (The closest he'd get would probably the "the Halo guy".)
I agree totally here. But at least they would be able to associate the character with the game. Your average Joe would look at Cloud and not have any clue where he is from.

To me Cloud is not an icon of gaming. He's just has a very large fanbase which Nintendo and Sakurai capitalised on.

To me Cloud is not an icon of gaming. He's just has a very large fanbase which Nintendo and Sakurai capitalised on.

I think most of our disagreements concerning popularity are just too subjective to really have any true merit (there's no true gauge of popularity except internet polls, which are full of inaccuracies and problems, and it's impossible to truly gauge "average Joe" popularity). I just think the most important thing is that Final Fantasy is undoubtedly one of the premiere gaming series of all time, dating back to the revolutionary original on the NES. It makes sense to me that, if a representative was to come from that series for Smash, it would be Cloud.

I just think the most important thing is that Final Fantasy is undoubtedly one of the premiere gaming series of all time, dating back to the revolutionary original on the NES. It makes sense to me that, if a representative was to come from that series for Smash, it would be Cloud.
For this I agree with you totally. It's one of the more popular gaming series. People do buy Playstations specifically to play FF games. The series does sell consoles. The statistics do not lie. I do also agree with you that a FF character for SSB4 had to be Cloud. He's the most recognisable FF character.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i've been mainly a nintendo person for most of my life up until 2013 and have never touched a final fantasy game...prior to a month ago (ff6)
but if i were to see this trailer in my middle school/early high school mentality (where i pretty much primarily played nintendo),i would surely tell you that guy was cloud strife from final fantasy 7 [well you know,had the ff7 logo and his name not shown up]
im probably one of the few exceptions,but it does go to show the popularity of the character; had they shown any other character from final fantasy,i doubt i'd be able to point out who it was as easily

Time to get on the hype train one final time.

smash-bros-presentation1.jpg

Krazy4Krash

Staff member

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom