• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

I did find it interested that, back when the initial announcement and trailer were released, Link was still obviously sporting a Twilight Princess look. I had thought that, because of the strange design tendencies of the series that tend to fluctuate, each main Link in Smash Bros would always be based off the latest incarnation of Link. But with Zelda's confirmation, it's blatantly obvious that it's also her TP look, even though that game is well over being the latest Zelda title released.

Perhaps they just like the brown hair more? Or it could just be that SS style wasn't fitting to make it as the prime representation of the Zelda series in their eyes, and Toon Link in there to appease other players who think differently.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
True but then again Sakurai loves to troll with us. It's not that I dislike Pac-Man, I just don't seem in the the character role of a fighting game. I'm sorry if I make you upset. :eek:

Plenty of characters in the Smash franchise aren't fit to be fighters... yet, they find a way. It's called creativity. I would understand that feeling more if the image had him without limbs.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Though I can agree for the most part, SS Zelda was more of a damsel in distress than anything, while TP Zelda took action for the most part (i.e. healing Midna and riding horseback with Link/shooting light arrows). Hence why they may have leaned towards using TP Zelda's design over SS's.

What do you mean 'for the most part'? She spent half of the game sitting in a tower looking sad. The other half, she was, for lack of better words, basically dead. A noble sacrifice as it may have been for her to heal Midna, it hardly establishes her as a fighter. SS Zelda spent most of the game (Off-screen, mind you) narrowly escaping Ghirahim's clutches and travelling from place-to-place to fulfill her role as Spirit Maiden. In the end, however, she still needed to be rescued. As far as being a damsel in distress, I'd say they're fairly on par with each other.

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed that they decided to go with TP Zelda's design. Sure, she's pretty, but I wanted to see SS Zelda in her place. But who knows? Maybe they'll include a pallet-swap with her SS outfit. Maybe they'll do the same with Link too, by giving us a pallet-swap with his puffy pants and shorter hat? I don't see why not, seeing as they did it with Wario--a character who's not nearly as popular as the two of them--in brawl.

I don't see why not, seeing as they did it with Wario--a character who's not nearly as popular as the two of them--in brawl.

Only problem I see with that is the fact that the Wario Ware series is completely separate from the Wario that was established in the Mario franchise. Completely different setting, a completely different full cast of characters, and a completely different style of gameplay. Wario is a mainstay in both the Mario and Wario Ware games, so it makes sense that he would have a costume to represent himself in each of those worlds. It's not as clear-cut in the Zelda series, because there's no huge spin-off titles that have come from it that also feature the Link character. Add to the mix the fact that Toon Link already exists to represent the other extreme of the Zelda graphic styles, and I just wouldn't be surprised if SS Link and Zelda were left out.

It's a new system, and I could be wrong though. I do personally prefer the TP design in both aspects, as it makes them look more adult and mature, a better design for fighting (if the option is available, of course. "Adult and mature" Mario would be stupid, and there's no precedent for it.) in my humble opinion.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
So we have Zelda but no Sheik. Why? I love Sheik

Not shocking, honestly. We've never had Zelda and Sheik revealed at the same time before, and we're also yet to see Zero Suit Samus despite the amount of time we've known about her armoured self. Seeing her use Zero Laser and cut out just before it ends was a big tease, as if it hasn't been decided whether that will be the transformation method or not.

Last edited:

Keeseman

Smash is Life
ZELDA YES! Great Christmas present from Sakurai. She looks stunning. :)

Also, this:

screen-2.jpg

Honestly, if this were a move, I wouldn't mind. But as Krazy said, it could be an assist trophy, which I wouldn't mind. I'm pretty sure it is Zelda's Phantom from ST, though, as the shield design is the one from that game. That said, it could still go either way. It would likely be difficult to program as a move (most likely side-:cool:, so I'm expecting it to be an assist trophy.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Monday, 23rd December
zlCfzRRuuQcrDsv_yt

Rosalina's got height! She is seriously tall! However, she boasts an anti-gravity effect, so she's very light.
Probably as tall as Bowser, I'd love to see that height comparison. Tall and light are not the best traits to have together, though it is understandable due to Rosalina's potential in other areas.

Tuesday, 24th December
zlCfzRSC4jgUPEH21O

Happy Holidays! Here's a new 3DS stage--Rainbow Road! It can't be explained in one picture, but it's going to be a cruise-type stage.
Right on the money from the Rosalina trailer. A "cruise" relates it to Mute City and Port Town Aero Dive stages of old, presumably with karts as seen in the Mario Circuit stage of Brawl. Shy Guys or not, it looks damn sweet.

Wednesday, 25th December
zlCfzRSRQAslaFAzLC

Yellow characters.
Starfy was an assist trophy in Brawl, and his presence here seemingly announces his return to that role. It's too bad Yellow Devil missed out on the photo...

Thursday, 26th December
zlCfzRSevj8f2iLDIn

To celebrate the launch of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in Japan, Zelda joins the battle!! It's great to see so many female characters this time around.
There are no signs of Sheik yet, though Zelda has plenty of screens to boast new poses. See below.

Friday, 27th December
zlCfzRSzWNo6dbnzF1

The pic of the day that runs Monday through Friday will be on break starting Dec. 27. I'll be back on Jan. 6, so I hope everyone has a happy new year!!
Take a well deserved break, Sakurai. 29 weeks without a missed day, I'm positive 2014 will impress in more ways than one.

Zelda has the typical 9 Wii U screens and 1 3DS screen on her side, some more than noteworthy.

Salem

SICK
Monday, 23rd December
Probably as tall as Bowser, I'd love to see that height comparison. Tall and light are not the best traits to have together, though it is understandable due to Rosalina's potential in other areas.
Yeah, that didn't help Mewtwo in Melee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom