• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...r-smash-bros-creator-to-drop-story-mode-.aspx

This is a good read. But I have to say, I do not like Sakurai's reasoning. Entire games get uploaded to the Internet. Should we stop making games? Movies? Music? Fun? Heck no. :/

Why u link to gameinformer and not original article? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Seriously though, that sucks. Cutscenes were the best part of the SSE. Not to say the gameplay was bad, that was awesome too, but not having the mode at all because some people manage to spoil it for themselves? We heard in the past that there was to still be a campaign, not like the SSE however, whatever that means. Has Sakurai changed his mind entirely? God forbid we return to Melee's "Adventure" Mode style. Fair enough to say that not having a story mode allows for a greater focus on the multiplayer. Even if weaker than the SSE in terms of lacking the CG, it still would be nice to have, right?

If Snake returns, who wants a Snake Eater 3D map for the 3DS?

I do.

But isn't the retail release of New Super Luigi U going to be on August 25th?

Uh, yeah. Those were two separate statements. I was cracking a crappy joke of how they could celebrate the Year of Luigi on the last day of the year, and then suggesting New Super Luigi U as a different timeframe.

Regardless, I don't expect there to be a pattern in Sakurai's reveals. We've already passed the date of the retail NSLU game being released in Japan anyway, which Sakurai certainly favours judging by the fact he showed Olimar the day of the release of Pikmin 3 there.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I like SSE! I'm so mad he would do such a thing. So what if we've seen them? Many won't see it, and you can't just scrap hours of gameplay over a leak! (insert angry stuttering) It makes no sense!

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Thought Sakurai's most recent update on Miiverse was worth sharing.

Pic of the day.
This island looks familiar!

zlCfzRE_lL09LA8agg

Some might recognize it from Pilotwings on Super Nintendo.

[video=youtube;0DdZ63cadRs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DdZ63cadRs[/video]

PilotwingsMapLesson03.png
Despite there being a few other Pilotwings games, the retro SNES game was chosen of them to be here in the Wii U Smash Brothers. It's a safe bet that this will be a stage, even though the screen above is the only thing we've seen of it. Will a platform float around ala Skyloft, or will characters battle on the 16-bit landscape? I still hope for a Wuhu Island stage, which has been in a multitude of Nintendo games recently, including Pilotwings Resort on 3DS and Wii Fit (nudge nudge). Nevertheless, this is really cool to see. Just as Brawl had stages based on arcade games seen in their original style, perhaps we're to see more 16-bit stages in SSB4.

Guess I'll post this here too.

Sakurai not including Wii Fit Trainer/Villager in new Smash Bros. just to surprise people - Nintendo Everything

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is from Krazy's link, but Sakurai said:
“The Wii Fit Trainer and the villager from Animal Crossing, there may be some people out there being like, ‘Okay, great, now you’re going out on a limb, you’re trying to do something strange or unusual, but there’s really no meaning behind it, you’re just doing it for…’ I don’t want to say shock value, per se, but just to surprise people. And that’s really not the case. I think these are very unique characters and they lend themselves well to the Smash Bros. family because they bring things we don’t already see.”

Yeah, what don't we already see in Smash Bros? Ridiculous looks and/or scenarios? Sorry but we've had that since day one! :mad:

Salem

SICK
This is from Krazy's link, but Sakurai said:

Yeah, what don't we already see in Smash Bros? Ridiculous looks and/or scenarios? Sorry but we've had that since day one! :mad:
I think he meant those characters were unexpected even in the context of Smash Bros. because those characters didn't come from action games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Clearly you don't understand Sakurai's reasoning either. Read it over again before putting in your 2 cents. He never said he's not having a story mode because it's uploaded to the internet, but because it's no longer a reward in the game if you can view them online, meaning it can't be created for its original intention. I still don't know if I agree with his choice but it has nothing to do with uploading stuff for free, but rather that the act of uploading removed the reward.

...you DO realize that is true of everything that requires input, right? Do not tell me what I do and do not understand. It goes without saying that if you get something which requires input to get output for free, you are not being 'rewarded' as you put in no effort (hence it being free). That is Sakurai's way of saying "if people don't have to work for it, then why should we include it?", in other words he's saying that people shouldn't be able to get output without input and thanks to the people who ARE getting output without input, there will be no output regarding an adventure/story mode.

If we're going by this original intention/reward baloney, then there is no 'reward' for playing a game if you get it for free; there is no 'reward' for a movie if you get spoiled; there is no 'reward' for food if you've already had it before. Should we stop making games, movies, and food; we can get these things for free (or again), and effectively erase their 'original intention'.

And no, don't give me a ratio of youtube views to people who actually played the mode. There's no accurate way to gauge that. I viewed all of the cutscenes on YouTube long before I ever got Brawl for myself. But I still played through SSE and had damn fun doing so. How do you know the people who viewed the cutscenes on YT didn't do the same?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Revealed just now in the Nintendo Direct.

[video=youtube;8glogVnbAnQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8glogVnbAnQ[/video]

Aaaawwwww yyyyeeeeaaaaahhh

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
So they didn't say if he'll be a secret character like before or a starter.

Nope. I assume he'll remain unlockable for the sake of tradition.

Check out Luigi's page on the Dojo now! Those are some damn hilarious screens. xD

main.png

Sakurai's Miiverse post on the subject.

A REAL pic of the day--Luigi joins the battle! In prior games, we've never introduced Luigi before release, but why not? This is the "Year of Luigi," after all.

zlCfzRFGW58AfrgKBr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom