• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSB4: the Little Things

SSB4 will be at e3 in some form, more than likely a couple of screen shots that give nothing away.
We know that the 3DS and the WiiU versions will link, that there will be a level system of sorts, balance is the primary focus and thus the roster wont be increasing all too much in character count...

But what about the smaller things?
What would you like SSB4 to include that many may feel to be unimportant in the grander scheme of things?

Things such as costumes or colour changes?
Character taunts?
New items?
Get rid of the trip mechanic?

Which small things do you think attention should be given to in SSB4?

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Holy bejesus, this thread. Where did this disappear off to so quickly? DGN members, I am disappoint...

Anyway, considering all that people typically think about is characters, almost every other aspect can be called a part of the "little things". In a series so broad, what's there to say? More of everything. This is a blunt answer, however, as this is the route that Melee and Brawl (especially Brawl) took. SSB4 is said to be one to further enhance the series and give it even more depth. Adding more content does not equal more depth. Granted, in the instances of both Melee and Brawl, even the mere larger volume helped in improving over their respective predecessors, but if this is to continue happening even further in the future, the series will be at risk of becoming stale. Though with such scarce releases, that's not a very likely possibility.

Sakurai said:
In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed.

This is the quote to stand by. With a new direction comes new features, more depth and more of these so called "little things". After all, the latest games have had some powerfully deep detail. Looking forward, but I need to stop rambling.

The only things to come to my mind in terms of specific changes to the main multiplayer gameplay is more versatile colour scheme options and a change of the pratfall mechanic. The pratfall could be toggled on/off, changed in execution or removed entirely, I honestly don't care. The colour schemes is where SSB4 needs to pick up slack and get creative. Costumes, model changes and an even greater amount of alternate colours. One thing I personally want to see (though it isn't needed at all) is a black team, in addition to the blue, red and green teams seen prior. So many characters have a freaking kick-*** black/white/grey/dark/whatever colour scheme. I'd love to see this happen.

2i907ds.png

Come on. Come oooooooooooon.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
With each game being less balanced than the last, I don't believe him for a second. Anyway, no tripping, stronger heavy character damage, and more reliance on B attacks would be fun.

Izagar

Working on a webcomic. :D
Well all I know is that possibly Lucario will replaced by the new Mewtwo forme:

mewtwo_new_form.png

Other than that, in terms of mechanics, please remove the tripping and please make it more like Brawl + Hacks. That was extremely fun to bash my ex-boyfriend in Brawl by having Demise (Ganondorf Model Hack) fight Colette (Peach Model Hack from Tales of Symphonia). xD

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
-Return to Melee physics and overall be a faster game,
-REMOVE tripping or at least make it as an option for "Special Brawl/melee/SSB4'sfightname"
-If final smashes or otherwise some super move returns, make it less of a rush to hit the smash ball and give us instead a super meter like fighting games around the world have had since Arcade days.
-Fix the AI so that LV9 is really tough like in Brawl but also employs more advanced tactics. I'm surprised to see a LV9 CPU start edgehogging honestly.
-GIVE US BACK the match bonuses from Melee such as NO R 4 U and Power Shielder or w/e it was called. I love racking up points but I don't want them generalized; I loved doing special things like Run, Don't Walk and Impervious. To see them erased from Brawl was a truly sad thing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Time to go against the grain, yay. :dry:

Whatever happens, DON'T return to Melee's physics. I wouldn't mind a slider of some sort in the options menu that speeds up and slows down the flow of the combat, but returning to Melee's overly-fast and borderline broken physics would be a terrible mistake. There's no reason characters like Fox should fall faster than the speed of sound because they're light. That's just stupid. Brawl's physics are where it's at.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Well, I DON'T want to see adventure mode return to how it was in Melee. Let's keep it cinematic. This time Nintendo should incorporate the separate Nintendo worlds, instead of having some bland, unoriginal map.

Some items should definitely be scrapped. The smoke ball, banana peel, Mr. Saturn... they're all pretty obscure and pointless. And PLEASE, Nintendo, get rid of that flower stalk you whack people with. And since the curry makes the Fire Flower obsolete, Nintendo needs to choose one or the other.

And though this may not count as a little change, I hate seeing clone characters. Lucario, Toon Link(who should be replaced by Ghirahim)... you gotta go.

I'd also like to see some new stage ideas. Honestly, Brawl didn't have any spectacular stages that would stand out as a major design improvement over Melee.

The exception: Rumble Falls Vs. Ice Climber Stage

DarkestLink

While I'm all for less clones...why would they replace Toon Link with a small time character they'd struggle to make moves for? Honestly, they're more likely to put Fi in if anything.

Whatever happens, DON'T return to Melee's physics. I wouldn't mind a slider of some sort in the options menu that speeds up and slows down the flow of the combat, but returning to Melee's overly-fast and borderline broken physics would be a terrible mistake. There's no reason characters like Fox should fall faster than the speed of sound because they're light. That's just stupid. Brawl's physics are where it's at.

Haha, this is why I love you man! You always "go against the grain" but you manage to so beautifully articulate your arguments that hardly anyone questions you!

That being said, I would prefer if Brawl returned to Melee's physics. It personally felt better. Also, as Lord Carlisle said, no more clone characters. I would also prefer a more balanced combat system. Honestly, characters like Jigglypuff and Pichu are not working anymore.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
While I'm all for less clones...why would they replace Toon Link with a small time character they'd struggle to make moves for? Honestly, they're more likely to put Fi in if anything.

Are you joking? I honestly can't tell. Ghirahim would already have his moveset spelled out for him, what with the variety of attacks he used in the battles with him. Not to mention he's a popular character candidate. I'd say he's at least LIKELY to get in the game.

...And I don't have any idea about what kind of moveset Fi could have, nor have I ever heard anyone state that they'd like to see her in the game.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
What's with all the wanting of Melee's physics? You guys have got it all backwards. Melee refined SSB64, Brawl refined Melee, and now SSB4 will refine Brawl. This is called progress. It's okay to desire a tad more speed or combo ability, but damn, requesting old physics? I will gladly accept mechanics refined from Brawl than a copy-paste job just to please my muscle memory.

That being said, I would prefer if Brawl returned to Melee's physics. It personally felt better.

Or have been playing it for much longer. Just used to it, perhaps?

Some items should definitely be scrapped. The smoke ball, banana peel, Mr. Saturn... they're all pretty obscure and pointless. And PLEASE, Nintendo, get rid of that flower stalk you whack people with. And since the curry makes the Fire Flower obsolete, Nintendo needs to choose one or the other.

Smoke Ball? Sure. The others? I reckon they should stay. The Banana Peel and *Lip's Stick* have no reason to be removed. What's wrong with those? I find them both really funny... Slipping all around with a flower on ya head. :xd: Mr. Saturn is a freaking boss at breaking shields, far from "pointless".

Honestly, I feel the Fire Flower and Superspicy Curry are different enough. SSC is a non-stop burst from the characters front for a hefty amount of time and disables the ability to walk, dash only. FF can be picked up, held and thrown, and can be activated as desired, not as constant as the SSC. The Superspicy Curry is also a status effect, which allows for the Special Brawl option not otherwise possible with a held item, and gives all characters a rather hilarious idle animation.

Fire Flower needs a nerf, though. So do the Fan and Ray Gun. That's all I can say about that.

This "Newtwo" could increase Mewtwo's chances of return. I still feel for Zoroark, but with the potential of Newtwo as a costume for Mewtwo? Just throwing it out there. Nevertheless, I don't have hopes for a returning Lucario. There is one thing I have said before, though, and I will say it again.

Lucario for a Pokeball Pokemon with Aura Storm as his attack. :D

Ghirahim? No freaking thanks. No more Zelda characters. What we have is perfect. Shiek is a bit of a push, but I certainly give her a pass considering she and Zelda are technically the same person. The roster is packed enough as it is. The Zelda series is the last one to have any more characters put in, let alone as weak a one as Ghirahim. People requesting him are acting like fanboys more flamboyant than he is.

Toon Link is definitely worth keeping around, especially with more luigification. Young Link as a costume for TL is something I love the thought of. It could be pulled off rather easily, what with their identical status and features.

DarkestLink

Are you joking? I honestly can't tell. Ghirahim would already have his moveset spelled out for him, what with the variety of attacks he used in the battles with him. Not to mention he's a popular character candidate. I'd say he's at least LIKELY to get in the game.

...And I don't have any idea about what kind of moveset Fi could have, nor have I ever heard anyone state that they'd like to see her in the game.

Well Fi is a much bigger character, but I digress. We have Sword attacks for our A attacks...throwing daggers like sheik could be one B attack...and that's it.

Shikenshu

Hero of CEGEP

Can you tell me how Melee physics were broken?

Also, Melee wasn't that fast, before Brawl, Melee had a normal speed, Melee is not fast, but brawl is super slow. Melee didn't have tripping, metaknight and a broken ledge game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom