• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Speedrun" Vs. Pacing Yourself

Linksister82

Setterwind
I never do speedruns of any game. I always play games quite slowly, and this is especially true for RPGs. If a guide says the recommended level is 15 for a boss, I'll go to 20 or higher. :p

That's the best way. I do the same when it comes to RPGs where ya gotta level up like Final Fantasy XII

I don't like speed runs myself.

I like to immerse myself in the gaming world and thus I take my time to do everything. Heck even after the one-millionth time I read all the text/dialogue. Even the Kapora Gaborea in OoT :P (No, I'm not a masochist!)

I know a lot of people see games as a big challenge, as something to conquer. For me games are an escape from reality; so speed-runs and even 3 heart type challenges don't matter as much to me because challenge isn't the primary reason I play something. Obviously I want enough challenge so I don't breeze through it, but that's all I require.

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
I prefer to just take it slow and do my own thing. If you go through the game quickly it won't be any fun. Butt if you just take it slow pace you can find different secrets and such. I am not a fan of speed runs either. It just does not seem very fun to me. Some times I like to go kinda fast on some game, BUT NOT Zelda games. Maybe a game like Mario, I like to go fast on.

Linksister82

Setterwind
I've never found the particular appeal in speedrunning therefore I almost always play at a pace that suits me. There is one exception to the rule, however and that is Super Mario Bros. I live to best my time in that game.

Since I've been playing Super Mario Bros since I was little, I don't really take my time in those anymore. I have a bad habit of taking the warp pipes though LOL

MW7

I've never found the particular appeal in speedrunning therefore I almost always play at a pace that suits me. There is one exception to the rule, however and that is Super Mario Bros. I live to best my time in that game.

Your post made me realize that the only games I speedrun are Zelda games and occasionally other games that I know extremely well such as Super Mario 64. I guess it's just that I play Zelda games so much that I have to find novel ways to play or it's no fun at all for me. Oddly enough it's possible to immerse yourself further in a game by cutting down to the bare minimum and playing fast. Literally today I learned something new about Majora's Mask just because I tried to do the 3 day challenge and failed. In the 3 day challenge you're supposed to get to Romani before 6 pm on the first day, and I missed that deadline. However this made me realize that maybe I could still help Romani without talking to her during the day so I ended up completing all of the quests for the ranch including Cremia's. Then on the next cycle I talked to Romani which got me Epona's Song, and oddly enough this caused me to finish Romani's entry in the Bombers' Notebook by doing the first step last. So by trying to play fast I learned something about the logic of the game. Of course Romani would still try to save the ranch even if Link doesn't offer to help in advance, and if he happens to show up unannounced to help fight, why wouldn't she give you the same reward.

I'm not saying everyone should do speedruns, but I thought this was a cool little tidbit to share about how speedrunning brought me some of the advantages of fully enjoying a game that people that pace themselves enjoy. Clearly some people just get the fun sucked out of a game by speedrunning and I understand that.

Linksister82

Setterwind
Your post made me realize that the only games I speedrun are Zelda games and occasionally other games that I know extremely well such as Super Mario 64. I guess it's just that I play Zelda games so much that I have to find novel ways to play or it's no fun at all for me. Oddly enough it's possible to immerse yourself further in a game by cutting down to the bare minimum and playing fast. Literally today I learned something new about Majora's Mask just because I tried to do the 3 day challenge and failed. In the 3 day challenge you're supposed to get to Romani before 6 pm on the first day, and I missed that deadline. However this made me realize that maybe I could still help Romani without talking to her during the day so I ended up completing all of the quests for the ranch including Cremia's. Then on the next cycle I talked to Romani which got me Epona's Song, and oddly enough this caused me to finish Romani's entry in the Bombers' Notebook by doing the first step last. So by trying to play fast I learned something about the logic of the game. Of course Romani would still try to save the ranch even if Link doesn't offer to help in advance, and if he happens to show up unannounced to help fight, why wouldn't she give you the same reward.

I'm not saying everyone should do speedruns, but I thought this was a cool little tidbit to share about how speedrunning brought me some of the advantages of fully enjoying a game that people that pace themselves enjoy. Clearly some people just get the fun sucked out of a game by speedrunning and I understand that.

That's cool that you figured that out. Don't you love it when you stumble upon things that surprise you like that? :)

Some of my favorite parts of video games are the storylines. Even if the game does not have a great story I always try to immerse myself in it as much as I can. I find myself playing through games fairly quick, but mostly because I accidentally ignore all of the sidequests. A lot of games that put an emphasis on sidequests I end up not enjoying until I am more aware of what is going on/force myself to take my time and explore. Speedruns are something I rarely ever try to do, despite my love of flying through a game.

Dan

I much prefer exploring the game and finding everything object etc. In games such as Spyro I will always complete 100% of the level at a time.
Games that I do find appeal in speed running has to be sonic the hedgehog. Trying to get the lowest time can always be fun.

I never do speedruns of any game. I always play games quite slowly, and this is especially true for RPGs. If a guide says the recommended level is 15 for a boss, I'll go to 20 or higher. :p

FTW.
I am so on board with this train of thought. A good RPG will temporarily melt my brain.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I really don't see the enjoyment in doing speedruns. That is the one gaming style I can never really understand. I can understand people who try to 100% a game, because it's about exploration and completing quests, tasks... but running through a game from beginning to end without stopping to actually enjoy the game - I just don't get it. I mean, theoretically I can understand the competition aspect of the speed run, but I don't understand doing that in games with indepth storylines. So yeah, I pace myself when I play, that's how I get the most enjoyment from a game.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Ugh, I hate when people speed run through their first playthrough of a game. That just shows how much they appreciate it. I like to be able to explore every bit of a game I really enjoy, and do and find everything the game has to offer. That way, I'm getting what I paid for, a complete experience. Especially if I really like the game, I want to be able to absorb every last piece of it. Until I've done all I can, then I play at whatever pace I want to.

I don't usually speed run, unless the game requires me to, but it does go by faster my third time around. Because by then, I would already know the game well enough to just blast through it. While still being able to get the complete experience.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
The first run through I really try to get a good feel of the game, try not to do many sidequests. The second time trough I try to 100%. then I try speed running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom