• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Some Thoughts I Have on the Spirit of the Skyward Sword

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
This has to do with mainly the entity that is supposed to accompany Link in some way throughout the game, and the resemblance to the design of the shields. Zordiana or Adelle, is the spirit of the Skyward Sword. My first thought is that this is an origin story since it has been said the Skyward Sword will become the Master Sword. However, the entity resembles a few things I’d like to point out.
adelle.jpg

If you look closely at the girl, you notice she doesn’t have arms, instead, she has a cloak type thing. This leads me to believe her cloak thing, is actually wings.Also, when you look at her legs, they kind of look bird like when you look closely at the pattern. What else has important wing symbols on it?
the-minish-cap-zelda.jpg

Now we all know about the mysterious bird symbol on the shield, but what’s weird about the Minish Cap one is that it looks like it’s in a more humanoid form. Some people think that Minish Cap is first in the timeline, and isn’t Skyward Sword supposed to be the oldest tale so far? “ The tiny Picori appeared from the sky, bring the hero of men a sword and a golden light” Yes, I know the entity doesn’t have horns, but it still bears some similarity.

Hero's_Shield_(The_Wind_Waker).png

Now that one is from Wind Waker and it looks a bit strange, yes it’s a humanoid form, but it doesn’t look anything like the entity from the head up.
link6.jpg

However in this one, the head bears resemblance in the shape, but the body is completely wrong.

Since I think Skyward Sword is an origins story, I think it might bring about the origins of the symbol on the shield in some way. Now, I think I might be a little stretching here, but what do you think?

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
This has been speculated a lot, and yes, I believe this theory. The title symbol for skyward sword also has that symbol behind it, so it will probably be explained in this game.

Djinn

and Tonic
I just hope that Nintendo addresses the similarities between the spirit of the sword and the fairy queen from WW.

images

The image on the shield I have made many theories of in the past. The image on the Wind Waker shield was especially interesting since it was not in the traditional shape. The humanoid shape and horns were very different. At first I thought it was the Thunderbird, the last guardian of the triforce of courage in AoL

07b-thunderbird.png
Hero%27s_Shield_(The_Wind_Waker).png

After TP came out I thought the bird crest might be a reference to Eldin

600px-Eldin.png

However Eldin is the caretaker of the region near Death Mountain and not Hyrule Castletown. It would make more sense for the Hylian crest to have something similar to Lanayru's shape on it if they were copying the light spirits. So those were out too. But I have not thought of the spirit's cape thing to be anything more than just something made to make her resemble the hilt of the master sword. Never thought about her having wings though. I do hope SS will clear this one up as well.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The symbol may look anthropomorphic on MC's shield, but more recent intent nullifies this divergent design, returning to the more birdlike symbol seen in OoT.
Hylian_Shield_(Twilight_Princess).png
0.jpg

TP's and SS's Hylian Shields look more like the traditionaly Royal Crest. If they are trying to retcon the bird then they would have continued the trend in TP. If the anthropomorphic design is supposed to be closer in appearance to the object it is supposed to represent, then the similarity should be even more striking on SS's shield design. The fact that MC and SS share the same director (Fujibayashi) would be all the more reason to keep that continuity, yet it is still not shown.

Essentially, I think the shield in SS is the most canon version, barring differences obviously related to timeline placement. We've been shown that
this shield is available very early in the game, granted that may have been only for the demo; it could be replaced by a different shield in the final game and we only get the Hylian shield later.
I'm not convinced that the design could have inspired by the feminine figure. It's not blue, for one thing.

If this was in the theory section, I would also debate MC's placement and its backstory's relationship to SS. Let me know if you want me to move it there to invite more of this type of discussion. Not having to conceal spoilers would also ease the conversation I think.

Djinn

and Tonic
Very true, and another thing to remember is that WW's design scheme broke a lot of standard conventions. The master sword was completely different, only really keeping the original color. Ganondorf looked nothing like he did in OoT or TP. The same is said for the Deku Tree, Hyrule Castle, even the basic designs of the characters themselves. Everything was different for the new artstyle. So the character on the WW shield could very well be the same thing that appears in the OoT shield but in the totally different artstyle.

Another thing to think about is the title screens beginning with OoT, each one has some item symbolic of the game shown among the lettering. Instead of the basic logo by itself.

Here we are shown the completed Fused Shadow
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess_logo.jpg

The Spirit Train
ZeldaSpiritTracks_Logo.jpg

The Master Sword
The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Ocarina_of_Time_(logo).png

The Four Sword and Ezlo
500px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_The_Minish_Cap_(logo).png

The King of Red Lions
TWW_logo.png

RVL_ZeldaSS_logo_E3.png

Behind the logo is the same bird. Going by past evidence it is assumed we will see some explanation on what this is as it very likely important to the story off the game. Since each time there is a pic behind the title logo, the game will introduce and explain just what those are pics of. And how they are important to the story.

One thing I'd like to point out though, is that it's very much possible that the E3 2009 artwork
is just placeholder, and that the Spirit wil look different in the final game, especially after seeing the style 'change' in the game
(even though they never said the graphics would be realistic).

Caeda

Keyblade Master
One thing I'd like to point out though, is that it's very much possible that the E3 2009 artwork
is just placeholder, and that the Spirit wil look different in the final game, especially after seeing the style 'change' in the game
(even though they never said the graphics would be realistic).

He has a point there. It is entirally possible that that's just a placeholder.

However, this does sound entirally possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom