• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's Visual Style is What This Holiday Needs (and Modern Gaming As Well)

I am not exactly sure if this should go somewhere else, but because it deals with SS I will post it here. Hope you guys read all this an comment. :)

This generation of gaming has been notable for a high focus in graphics. Many games that try to stand out usually do so by using their graphics an attention point. This holiday season has many new and relevant releases form many popular franchises including Zelda. Most notably is that besides some games like Mario and other games intended for younger audiences most games are notably very realistic in terms of their presentation. Games like TES and many other releases for this holiday all have in common cutting edge presentation and realistic graphics. This generation has been remarkably abounded of games that focus too much on realistic graphics. This usually means that they stray a lot from actual reality, with bland colours and brownish undertones.

Nintendo’s console has been particularly lacking of this games because the Wii simply lacks enough horsepower to run the graphic engines of these games (the multiplatform games). Which basically means that developers have to find creative ways to design exclusives in a way that the edges do not seem rough or just avoid the console altogether. When Skyward Sword was announced I was expecting a very realistic world. Monster Hunter has already shown us what the Wii can do and I was expecting Nintendo to push their console this way. Then the game was shown at E3 2010 and it was way beyond what I was imagining. A blend of cel-shaded animation and the realistic design of Twilight Princess that was inspired by Cézanne’s work of impressionism. I was not very happy. Not because I hate the artstyle, it is just not what I was expecting. I thought Nintendo would create a colourful but somewhat realistic game (like TP).

SS release is very close and now that the game will finally be released I just cannot help to notice that SS noticeably stands out among the other triple A big releases of the Holiday. While other games slide between “realistic and colourful” to “realistically opaque” SS is outright whimsical, lively and cartoon like in appearance. Is definitely a mature tale but the world it presents is by no means trying to approach reality but instead expresses its world in a lively picturesque manner. As I have been saying, this console generation has significantly focused on graphics. And as lovely as some graphics seem in some other games they are just more of the same.

Games in the Wii, although scarce, the few great games that are there are noticeably more beautiful and stunning artistically wise. Check the likes of Super Mario Galaxy with its gorgeous caricature world, Epic Mickey’s somber and surreal land, Metroid’s alien, charming, colourful planets or Red Steel’s 2 blend of Western and Japanese artstyle; to name a few. All this games had to be designed to take advantages of the weakest console in the market. Yet they are strikingly beautiful and gorgeous in their own rights. They approach the graphics artistically because that is how they can overcome the weaknesses of the console. This si something developers of other consoles rarely do. (I am not saying some haven´t but not many have done it.) In fact the focus desperately in making their graphics realistic to the extreme. Is this bad? Not really but they never really recreate reality. Most games this generation are bland, lack creativity and life. They have so much horsepower but they waste it and have yet to create stunning graphics that rely on art not on polygon count. That is a very big problem and I am glad the Wii is underpowered because that means developer have to rely on their artistic presentation. With time I warmed myself to SS graphics. The world looks gorgeous and the game itself is indeed looking fantastic. And although graphics do not matter much, although I do think they are important like other aspects of the game, art does.

SS captures the imagination of the player through a lively, colourful world. It is a captivating world that engages through the art presentation that motivates imagination from the player. That is why I think is so important that Nintendo releases SS with this visual style. Because is bringing something that the industry rarely gives these days. Zelda is now standing out even more and in a good way because it demonstrates that graphics are more than just nice effects but a way to captivate through creativity and art. That is now a rarity. And that is why I am glad Zelda is standing out in this way.

Last edited:

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
I actually think SS looks better than other games today. The other games try too hard to look realistic but don't really work. Skyward Sword looks perfect the way it is because it doesn't try to be realistic.

most games today, no matter how hard they try, don't look realistic at all. Some games like Battlefield 3 come close, but at the end of the day there's no artistic creativity involved whatsoever. I think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask look better than many modern "next-gen" games. And Skyward Sword is probably the best looking game I've ever seen and ever will see for a long time. Here's to hoping Nintendo never gives up their tradition of art over realism

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
These so called realistic titles like COD and Battlefield actually don't have nice graphics, the textures are nasty and there is not much diversity with colour. Games can still have a realistic kind of look and still be pretty, bulletstorm is a great example. It has vibrant colour but has very detailed textures. That is the direction games should go. That has a lively colourful world. A game that actually captures a realistic look and actually looks good is Dead island. It uses colours we would see in the real world and does not make it look washed out and bland like COD. Have a look and see for yourself. If a game wants to look realistic, that is how it should be done.
dead-island.jpg

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
most games today, no matter how hard they try, don't look realistic at all. Some games like Battlefield 3 come close, but at the end of the day there's no artistic creativity involved whatsoever. I think Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask look better than many modern "next-gen" games. And Skyward Sword is probably the best looking game I've ever seen and ever will see for a long time. Here's to hoping Nintendo never gives up their tradition of art over realism

Yup! Exactly how I feel. Modern games try too hard to be realistic, but never get there - sometimes the animations don't look realistic, sometimes the shadings, sometimes the textures don't look right. Today's tech is JUST NOT STRONG ENOUGH! They won't be able to make a realistic enough game until at least two generations of consoles in the future (approx. 10 years). For Skyward Sword, they don't try to be realistic, and they are awesome at making graphics because of that. Even with the Wii's hardware weakness, SS still looks much better than games on the PS3 and 360. Proves Nintendo is much better at making games than they are, even with weaker hardware.
There's also the fact that Skyward Sword's graphics are timeless. They will still look great even 5, 10, 20 years into the future. Let's take a comparison of Zelda games for example. Ocarina of Time sorta tried to be somewhat realistic. It was basically the TP-style try at realism of that time. The hardware can't do the graphics that well. It looked great at the time, but by today's standards, it doesn't look good at all. Compare that to Wind Waker graphics. It was cell-shading, looked great at the time, and looks great now. (shows you people who insulted the "kiddy" graphics :cool:) Now don't harp on me about the fact that WW was released later than OoT because look at aLttP. A Link to the Past had awesome graphics at the time (heck, that rain was an awesome way to start a game), and the graphics, by today's standards, still look good. If you didn't know it was release that long ago, you would probably guess that the game was made today with flash or java. Also, take the most recent release (before SS), Twilight Princess. TP was their next try at realism and it worked quite well, but by now, it's starting to age. There's no doubt that it's graphics don't look good compared to today's games (I mean this generation, TP was really a Gamecube game). I mean I love it, but it won't be that great if you look back on it in 5 years, just as OoT doesn't look great today.
Another thing to note is that SS stand out. It's really the only game with that kind of graphics, and will be famed today and remembered tomorrow for its graphics. If you look at the other games releasing this year, they all look the same. I'd be honest, if you give me a screenshot of a game being released this November, I probably won't be able to tell it apart from another game being released for the holiday season (unless the actual character is like in your face in the picture, I'm not stupid :mad: )

So, in conclusion, SS is gonna be the game with the best graphics, EVER! (I didn't expect this post to be this long)

These so called realistic titles like COD and Battlefield actually don't have nice graphics, the textures are nasty and there is not much diversity with colour. Games can still have a realistic kind of look and still be pretty, bulletstorm is a great example. It has vibrant colour but has very detailed textures. That is the direction games should go. That has a lively colourful world. A game that actually captures a realistic look and actually looks good is Dead island. It uses colours we would see in the real world and does not make it look washed out and bland like COD. Have a look and see for yourself. If a game wants to look realistic, that is how it should be done.
View attachment 19355

Wait, so you'd rather have these graphics than Skyward Sword's graphics? Please read my writing above if you say yes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
M

Murasaki

While I agree with your point, not every game has the ability to use the color palate Skyward sword can, or Nintendo games for that matter. You can go from a lush green forest to the sky and then to a Volcano in minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom