• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword V Skyrim

Skyrim V Skyward Sword

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skyrim

• Both are Equally Good

• Dont Really care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought Skyrim was an extremely boring game. Now I heard that the other Elder Scrolls games were better, but if they are exactly like Skyrim, then I really don't plan on playing the other games. The whole game consists of side quests really. Now I am a huge fan of side quests since they can add more depth to the game, however in Skyrim, they were just extremely boring and forgettable. Also the combat didn't impress me at all. It consists of swinging then backing up, then swing again and backing up and repeat. The glitches were really annoying but there is one glitch that drives me insane. So I got in trouble and I agreed to stay in jail. I served my time in jail and they released me, but they still tried to kill me. I let them kill hoping that they will stop trying to kill me, but after that they were still attacking. It was a freaking cycle and an annoying one too. Even if you like Skyrim, tell me this. When you complete the main quest, completed all of the side quests, buy all of the weapons, ect, are you going to replay the whole entire game again? Are you actually going to do a second play through of a game that takes up too much time? There really isn't anything else to do after you beat the entire game. The story doesn't help, the characters don't help, there is absolutely nothing else to do after you somehow beat Skyrim 100%. Even if I liked Skyrim, I honestly would not play through this game again. Overall, Skyrim is an extremely flawed RPG. I remember when this game came out, people were calling it one of the best RPGs ever made even though the game wasn't even a month old yet. If I were to compare this game to Skyword Sword, it would be simple.
Skyward Sword has a better story, better characters, better combat, better dungeons, more interesting items, better soundtrack, an overworld that doesn't waste your time, one glitch that can break the game that I never ran into, cooler secretes, ect. I probably made someone angry, but please respect my opinion. I don't hate Skyrim. I just think its extremely overrated and it was overhyped like crazy.

Obviously Skyward Sword. Here's the difference:
Skyward Sword is an amazing game.
Skyrim is a horrible game that fails to entertain for a moment.
I could go onto a huge tyrade over why Skyrim is overated and annoying, but frankly I don't feel like doing it right now.

I thought Skyrim was an extremely boring game. Now I heard that the other Elder Scrolls games were better, but if they are exactly like Skyrim, then I really don't plan on playing the other games.

It's actually the other way around. Skyrim is much different than previous Elder Scrolls games. In terms of which one is best, it's usually a split between Morrowind or Skyrim with some fans of Oblivion.

The whole game consists of side quests really. Now I am a huge fan of side quests since they can add more depth to the game, however in Skyrim, they were just extremely boring and forgettable.

The whole game consists of sidequests? There are six main quests that take place during the game. This includes the main storyline, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, the Civil War questline, and the Bard's College if you really want count that as a main quest. Then you have, what, fourteen Daedric Quests? These quests add a ton of lore to the game making constant references to the previous installments, so there in no way forgettable or boring. All of these Daedric Quests (and main quests) offer significant, high level rewards, which is exactly what sidequests should do. Other than the Daedric Quests and Main Quests, there are several miscellanious quests for you to choose from, making the whole world feel alive and diverse. Skyward Sword's quests were simple and unrewarding. The best thing you got from them was "a deeper connection with the people in Skyloft." That hardly beats the rewards in Skyrim.

Also the combat didn't impress me at all. It consists of swinging then backing up, then swing again and backing up and repeat.
The combat was simple compared to other game, including Skyward Sword. However, it was tremendously better than all of the previous Elder Scrolls, most noticeably in the kill-cam cinematics and the offensive/defensive magic. The favorites system was a nice touch as well making combat feel more smooth and less interuptive. They are moving in the right direction.

The glitches were really annoying but there is one glitch that drives me insane. So I got in trouble and I agreed to stay in jail. I served my time in jail and they released me, but they still tried to kill me. I let them kill hoping that they will stop trying to kill me, but after that they were still attacking. It was a freaking cycle and an annoying one too.

Glithces are a problem in this game. I've never experienced anything too drastic, but I've heard plenty of horror stories. No game is perfect, and this is simply one of its flaws. Skyward Sword is no exception either. Do I need to remind you of the game breaking glitch found near the end of Skyward Sword?

Even if you like Skyrim, tell me this. When you complete the main quest, completed all of the side quests, buy all of the weapons, ect, are you going to replay the whole entire game again? Are you actually going to do a second play through of a game that takes up too much time? There really isn't anything else to do after you beat the entire game. The story doesn't help, the characters don't help, there is absolutely nothing else to do after you somehow beat Skyrim 100%. Even if I liked Skyrim, I honestly would not play through this game again.

First off, you can't just simply "buy all the weapons." It requires several hours of playtime to get your skills high enough to create the best weapons, or do all the sidequests neccesary to achieve the best weapons in the game. This goes along with my next point. To complete Skyrim 100% would take hundreds of hours. There are still people playing this game that have yet to do everything there is to do in Skyrim, and its been half a year since its release. How long did it take to beat Skyward Sword? one, maybe two weeks? The whole point of completing a game 100% is so that there is nothing else to do. Skyward Sword was terrible with this. Atleast in Skyrim you could continuously fight dragons, raid troll camps, do mercinary missions, etc., no matter how long you've played the game. Skyward Sword had absoloutley no replayability. With Skyrim, you shouldn't even have to worry about replayability, you should worry that you'll have enough time in your life to beat the game 100%.

Overall, Skyrim is an extremely flawed RPG. I remember when this game came out, people were calling it one of the best RPGs ever made even though the game wasn't even a month old yet. If I were to compare this game to Skyword Sword, it would be simple.
Skyward Sword has a better story, better characters, better combat, better dungeons, more interesting items, better soundtrack, an overworld that doesn't waste your time, one glitch that can break the game that I never ran into, cooler secretes, ect. I probably made someone angry, but please respect my opinion. I don't hate Skyrim. I just think its extremely overrated and it was overhyped like crazy.

Better Story - Oh, you mean the simplistic basic "hero saves princess" story that has been used in over half the games now? With Skyrim you have multiple story lines that offer deep, interesting lore. I spent hours reading dialouge trees and books that gave Skyrim a complex story that Skyward Sword never had.

Better Characters - I agree, although I wouldn't call Skyward Sword's characters fabulous either. There were a few memorable ones, but nothing to impressibe.

Better Combat - I also agree.

Better Dungeons - I agree, but please take into account the number of dungeons in each game. Skyward Sword had a few, Skyrim had probably over one-hundred. It's hard to make each dungeon unique when you have so many of them. The dungeon design was better in Skyward Sword, although I think the rewards after each dungeon was much more impressive in Skyrim.

More Interesting Items - I completley disagree. Skyward Sword had a basic upgrade system that had no variability or customization. Skyrim offered a host of enchantments for their items, an upgrade system, included special quest items, etc. The weaponry and items in Skyrim put Skyward Swords (8?) items to shame.

Better Soundtrack - Skyrims opening themse trumps every single song in that game put together. This is a very subjective criteria.

Overworld - The overworld was expanisve and filled with things to do. A beautiful scenery, places to explore, enemeys to vanquish, etc. If the overworld really bothered you than the game gave you an option to take a carriage or fast-travel. Compared to Skyward Swords baron, naked, ugly sky and tedious surface, Skyrim wins hands-down.

Glitches - A glitch is a glitch. Skyward Sword had one, and you have to fault it for that. I will admit though, that Skyrim had way more glitches than Skyward Sword and it was a serious downfall for the game.

Cooler Secrets - lol? u serious? Please tell me three cool secrets you found in Skyward Sword. When you can finally think of three, I'll tell you one-hundred in Skyrim.

It's obvious that I like Skyrim better than Skyward Sword. But this does not change my earlier opinion on this topic. These games can not be compared, whatsoever.

I really enjoy both games, but SS takes the cake for me. I just like the Zelda style better than the Elder Scrolls style.

I'll put this in a few categories

Visuals

I would Say Skyrim has the better Visuals, while Skyward Sword looks gorgeous, I was a bit stunned when I saw some of the scenery in Skyrim. It was a really close battle though.

Gameplay
Easily Skyward Sword. The combat for Skyrim was clunky and felt even worse in third person mode which is what I usually prefer to play in.

Characters

Skyward Sword. While Skyrim had voice acting the characters were to artificial and bland. Aside from the main characters they had no emotion or personalities unlike SS.

Story

Skyrim. I thought it was a really nice twist with some of the things that they put

Overworld

a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this but I likes SS's better. The sky might be barren, but it felt more lively and not as bland as Skyrim's

Items

I loved Skyward Sword's items more. I mean The Beetle, the whip, and the bow were great. And it was awesome to use them all the time. Which unlike Skyrim were basically cluttering around your arsenal.

Glitches

Skyrim had the worse glitches to me. I never had this game breaking glitch in SS but Skyrim usually froze at the worst times and the loading was really long.

Abilites

well I would give Skyrim this because Link only had the running and the swimming while in Skyrim there was the magic, and the Shouts. I feel as if there should be a return of Magic in Zelda games.

All in all Skyward Sword was better for me, but that doesn't mean that Skyward Sword can't learn a thing or two. I feel as if both games can learn from each other and in the next installment become even better.

Tom

You're kidding right? It's unfair to put a game such as SS against Skyrim. One is short, easy and very simple, while the other is massive, complicated and very challenging at times. They are totally apart from each other and good at their own genres. Overall, though, obviously Skyrim. I see it as a mature, well-developed Zelda. One day I wish Zelda could be anything more mature like this. As of recently, it seems to be going to the clash of ******** Wii family-games, and I'm afraid Zelda will one day turn into a kid's game, and I mean the complete opposite of masterpieces such as Majora's Mask.

You're kidding right? It's unfair to put a game such as SS against Skyrim. One is short, easy and very simple, while the other is massive, complicated and very challenging at times. They are totally apart from each other and good at their own genres. Overall, though, obviously Skyrim. I see it as a mature, well-developed Zelda. One day I wish Zelda could be anything more mature like this. As of recently, it seems to be going to the clash of ******** Wii family-games, and I'm afraid Zelda will one day turn into a kid's game, and I mean the complete opposite of masterpieces such as Majora's Mask.

Care to explain why you think Zelda is turning into a kids game?

Pretty much everything that TRLahti said two posts above me is correct.

First off, I never understood why people try to compare two games that shouldn't even be compared in the first place. These games are complete polar opposites, different developers, different consoles, concepts, etc.

With that being said, even if you were to state reasons why Skyward Sword was a better game, the OP has pretty bad reasons IMO. First off, saying that IGN gave Skyrim a 9.5 and SS a 10 is the worst way to defend an argument. Every single critical review of a game is biased, no matter how much or big the bias, it has bias.

Also, nothing in this world is perfect. So therefore no game deserves a perfect score. Skyrim gets glitchy at times, and SS motion controls are somewhat buggy as well. Those are two facts which I can think of off the top of my head that make Skyward Sword and Skyrim not perfect.

Last but not least, saying that Skyward Sword won best Wii game, best Zelda game, etc. isn't that hard of a challenge to overcome. TBH there aren't that many good Wii games, and the last few Zelda games IMO were pretty pathetic. If you want to say that SS is better than Skyrim because it won those awards, I can simply say that Skyrim is better than Skyward Sword because it won video game of the year for 2011. Both arguments are flawed, but atleast with video game of the year SS had a chance to win that.

Not to mention that asking this question is pointless because your asking it on a Zelda forum lol? You're obviously going to see the majority say SS, but like I said before, the two can't be compared. Each game is completley different, therefore it requires different criteria to be judged.

Last thing, this post isn't ment to bash anybody lol. I'm just stating my opinion on why these two games can't be compared :).

You can also say that SS is better because it was the game that made the Zelda series the first series ever to be inducted into the video game hall of fame.

Obviously Skyward Sword. Here's the difference:
Skyward Sword is an amazing game.
Skyrim is a horrible game that fails to entertain for a moment.
I could go onto a huge tyrade over why Skyrim is overated and annoying, but frankly I don't feel like doing it right now.
Then your argument is kind of invalid, I demand a *tirade*.

Tom

I don't really see how you can compare these two games. They don't have much in common.

Exactly.

Care to explain why you think Zelda is turning into a kids game?

It's my humble opinion. All the colors, characters and shapes have changed. Everything feels different, the atmosphere changed drastically on this past few years, on Zelda games. While Wind Waker was a rather stylish game, I feel like Skyward Sword kind of exaggerated on the colorful looks, and -especially- even enemies look utterly ******** on the new game and engine (and the motion controls, that just basically murder the experience for me). Wii is not a Zelda console, IMO. The last one I truly enjoyed was TP, originally meant for GC. It's only what I think. I want more puzzles, more difficulty, more challenges. Definitely do not want a family game.

I personally think that Skyward Sword is better especially in the gameplay department. In Skyrim swordplay I just found to be so boring all you do is mash one button over and over again. Most of the combat in Skyrim has little strategy to defeat an enemy. Skyward Sword is completely different. All enemies require strategy to defeat, and each one is tons of fun to beat around with the Wii Mote Plus. So Skyward Sword definitley wins in Gameplay if you ask me.

Both games are exeptional in their own way. Here is my view: Skyrim is incredible in the fact that the graphics are absolutely breathtaking and many times I just stop to take in the view. The combat is also amazing and epic, and I love being able to switch between first and third person camera angles. There are countless fun quests to do in Skyrim, and it's hard to get bored, as there are always new things to do. It's a very broad game. It also has voiceacting for everyone except your character. The only thing I would change is make YOUR character have a voice as well, like in Dragon Age 2.
Now, Skyward Sword has Skyrim beat in the area of storyline. Zelda games always have such a deep and interesting plot. This game in particular made you particularly attached to the characters, even the more minor ones. The desire to help Link rescue Zelda was enough motivation to complete the game. I also found the new motion controls very entertaining.
However, I would like to see at least one Legend of Zelda game in the future that has graphics like Skyrim's. I think that would be absolutely incredible to see!!! I would also like to see voicacting added to the characters, even if Link remained mute.
Anyway, my point is that they are both great games in different ways.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I'm not an Elder Scrolls fan, but I still can't say this poll is very fair. It's on a Zelda fan site. Of course Skyward Sword will win.

I still haven't played Skyrim – I intend to buy it soon, but I haven't really had the chance. I think, though, that even I did play Skyrim, I'd stilly prefer Skyward Sword. Skyrim isn't my kind of game; I'm not into the dark and violent fantasy genre. I'd prefer something more lighthearted like Zelda.

Even so, I'm not going to vote, since I haven't played both. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom