• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Recieves Game of the Year Award from Edge Magazine

Majora's Cat

How about that
This is very reassuring. Skyward Sword definitely deserves it, even the Skyrim is the more technically impressive game. The Game of the Year award for 2011 should normally whittle down to Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Arkham City, Drake's Deception and Portal 2. The fact that SS, like previous Zelda titles, is receiving quite a few Game of the Year awards symbolizes that Zelda can still compete with games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles.

In fact, I would be rather disheartened if SS wasn't commonly nominated for GOTY this year. This honor is often bestowed upon major Zelda releases, and for Skyward Sword not to receive the honor would be like a huge blow to the stomach (and also a wake-up call for Nintendo to produce more powerful consoles). Overall, SS is an unparalleled experience that cannot be missed. I feel that is has the greatest variety in sidequests and upgrades than in any other Zelda game, and everything is refined. Some gameplay elements were omitted from Skyward Sword, but this was all so that the game can play in a simple and effective manner.

Congratulations, Nintendo. Another successful installment in the Zelda franchise is Game of the Year. May the legacy of this iconic series live on for another twenty-five years.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Good for SS. I don't see why it wouldn't and definitely don't see why it SHOULDN'T win at least one GoTY award.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I was wondering when Skyward Sword would receive an overall Game of the Year award. This is good, because it helps show that SS and Skyrim are pretty much equal to each other. (Which is crazy. Two games in one year that are better than Ocarina of Time. Wow...)

Awesome. Good to see Skyward Sword performing well. :D

The Game of the Year award for 2011 should normally whittle down to Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Arkham City, Drake's Deception and Portal 2.
In my humble opinion, without having played all of those games (I've only played Skyward Sword), I think Skyward Sword and Portal 2 are probably my main, serious nominations for game of the year. I guess Skyrim is supposed to be incredibly good, but it doesn't exactly look mindblowingly impressive in terms of ingenuity; doesn't really look like a fresh experience to me, which I think Skyward Sword was and Portal 2 looks like it was. I might be overplaying that aspect, though, and I guess I'd have to play Skyrim to judge the raw quality of its construction. Bottom line is I think Portal 2 deserves more consideration for this than it's getting, and Skyrim kinda looks like it's getting slightly more than it deserves.

In fact, I would be rather disheartened if SS wasn't commonly nominated for GOTY this year. This honor is often bestowed upon major Zelda releases, and for Skyward Sword not to receive the honor would be like a huge blow to the stomach (and also a wake-up call for Nintendo to produce more powerful consoles).
Nintendo is already making a more technically impressive console, though, with the Wii U. They're already moving in this direction, so regardless of how Skyward Sword performs, that's where things are moving for the Zelda series. That said, I think the amount of people who are 100% serious and absolutely focused on good graphics are actually in a smaller minority than they're made out to be, and I think a lot of gamers can appreciate good games, regardless of the graphics, and the Zelda series clearly manages to circumvent the graphical issue with style, anyway.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
This makes me very happy. I was vey disappointed when Skyward Sword was not nominated for game of the year. It deserves it more than Skyrim. Not saying Skyrim's bad, Skyrim is amazing in visuals and gameplay. But Skyward Sword had an amazing story, art style, and amazing Wii motion plus gameplay. It's good to see Skyward Sword is getting the praise it deserves.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Nintendo is already making a more technically impressive console, though, with the Wii U. They're already moving in this direction, so regardless of how Skyward Sword performs, that's where things are moving for the Zelda series. That said, I think the amount of people who are 100% serious and absolutely focused on good graphics are actually in a smaller minority than they're made out to be, and I think a lot of gamers can appreciate good games, regardless of the graphics, and the Zelda series clearly manages to circumvent the graphical issue with style, anyway.

Despite the upcoming release of the Wii U, Sony and Microsoft are already jumping ahead with their new consoles, which will probably sport even more beautiful graphics than the 360 and PS3. I think that Nintendo worked wonders with the visuals of Skyward Sword with the impressionist style, but the game's style still comes second to genuinely prettier graphics. Although I really want to see what the Wii U has in store for us, I'm sure that the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be able to top the new Wii's visuals, once again putting Nintendo on the underdeveloped side of the visual spectrum.

Despite the upcoming release of the Wii U, Sony and Microsoft are already jumping ahead with their new consoles, which will probably sport even more beautiful graphics than the 360 and PS3. I think that Nintendo worked wonders with the visuals of Skyward Sword with the impressionist style, but the game's style still comes second to genuinely prettier graphics. Although I really want to see what the Wii U has in store for us, I'm sure that the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be able to top the new Wii's visuals, once again putting Nintendo on the underdeveloped side of the visual spectrum.
I'm sorry, but I disagree with the bolded statement. I can't get behind that notion at all. If we're talking purely the technical power, then yeah, you're right. Skyward Sword is on the Wii, and the Wii is simply not capable of what the 360 and PS3 can do. But I do not agree that more intensely realistic graphics are automatically "more beautiful" than stylized graphics, because like it or not, realism is a style too. It's not objectively better, it's just different. It's true that realistic graphics require more effort and power to pull off, but that still doesn't make them superior because more effort and challenge doesn't automatically equal a superior thing.

Yes it's true that the next Microsoft and Sony consoles are certain to be more graphically powerful than the current consoles, and in all probability, Nintendo still won't match them exactly (although that's still uncertain and is an assumption), but that doesn't mean much, especially towards Nintendo's future success. Nintendo dominated with the Wii this generation, and with the DS even more so, despite having the least graphically impressive consoles this generation. And despite Skyward Sword falling behind graphically, it's still done exceedingly well (as Zelda games always do), and has still been praised for its visuals; not very many people have anything negative to say about Skyward Sword's graphics.

And regardless, Nintendo is, as I said, moving in the direction you're discussing, so whatever concerns you have are being counteracted. And considering that they've been doing fine this generation even just completely ignoring the graphics issue implies that they'll do even better if they approach it at all, even if only in a minor way.

G

GuruGuru

Finally some love (from gaming critics at least) for Skyward Sword. I'm genuinely glad that SS got at least one overall GOTY award.

I could talk about SS deserving it more then any other game, but we are in a Zelda Forum so I think my opinions might be a little bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom