• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword is Like a Mirror?

chris112

ゼルダファンの伝説!
Hey guys. I've been noticing that in Skyward Sword, Link is using the sword in his right hand when he is left handed. Does this mean that everything in Skyward Sword is kind of like a mirror or something like that?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Actually, they developed this Zelda title under the decision of making Link right-handed -- at least for his sword. The reason is because most people are right-handed, and since this game is based heavily around Wii Motion Plus controls, it would be weird for you to swing your right hand and have Link swing with his left. It wouldn't be good for gameplay purposes.

He still does other things left-handed, though, like using his Bow. :)

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
They probably structured the game so that it isn't mirrored. The only reason Twilight Princess was mirrored was that they took the original and mirrored it so that it fit right-handed people, rather than have awkward gameplay (as most are right handed) or having to remake it so that only Link's hand changed, and not the world. But this one would have been created from Link being right handed. (Also, what would it mirror?)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I remember Aonuma stating once that it would have taken twice as long for SS's release if they mirrored the gameplay...or more correctly, made an option for Link to use his left hand as well as his right. This sucks for lefties, or ambidextrous people who favor their left hand.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I remember Aonuma stating once that it would have taken twice as long for SS's release if they mirrored the gameplay...or more correctly, made an option for Link to use his left hand as well as his right. This sucks for lefties, or ambidextrous people who favor their left hand.

Twice as long? Huh. I figured it would have just taken at the most another year, as it's just a mirror effect. TP Wii took less than a year to be developed, and it was a freaking port, meaning the controls were different.

Last edited:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Twice as long? Huh. I figured it would have just taken at the most another year, as it's just a mirror effect. TP Wii took less than a year to be developed, and it was a freaking port, meaning the controls were different.
If it was from the beginning, they probably would have wanted to not mirror everything else, just the controls/hand he's using.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well actually, all links are different so they don't all have to be left handed. I don't think the game will be mirrored at all.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
However, we have a slight problem with the handed-ness of Link. What i you're left handed? I personally am ambidextrous, so it doesn't matter to me, but will there be an option to switch Link's hand?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
However, we have a slight problem with the handed-ness of Link. What i you're left handed? I personally am ambidextrous, so it doesn't matter to me, but will there be an option to switch Link's hand?
There will not be an option to do that. This has been said by Nintendo, so link will only be right handed in this game. However there is nothing to stop a player from holding the wii mote in their left hand. the actions will still be the same, slash left and link will slash left, whether you hold the wii mote in your left or your right hand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom