• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword As the End of the Franchise

I just thought of something.
SS is the first game in the timeline. it is very likely that the game will answer all the unanswered questions and revile the full timeline.
if that is the case, it will be the end of the franchise/
What do you think?

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Dont worry as long as Nintendo continues to thrive, games like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid will never die....They said that Metroid Prime 3 would be the last Metroid game but then they released Other M...Have no fear my friend, have no fear....

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Dont worry as long as Nintendo continues to thrive, games like Zelda, Mario, and Metroid will never die....They said that Metroid Prime 3 would be the last Metroid game but then they released Other M...Have no fear my friend, have no fear....

Not the last Metroid game but the last Prime game.

Also, this isn't very likely. Why would they reveal a fake timeline that doesn't exist in Skyward Sword if it's known to be the very first game? It will most likely show connections here and there and show some origin but not reveal something that Nintendo uses just to get more hype for their games like a timeline that was never intended. And its surely not the last game.

I think it will answer some questions, but I doubt all. Zelda doesn't seem very concerned at all with timeline, and whenever they do reference other Zelda games (like MM's references to OoT, WW's references to OoT, PH's references to Wind Waker, etc.) they keep it very subtle. Phantom Hourglass probably references the Wind Waker story the most directly I've seen. Majora's Mask takes place after Ocarina, but they give little information in the game to imply that. They just barely hint that Link is looking for Navi (the friend), it's not like the Happy Mask Salesman said "Ah, the boy from Hyrule!" when he talked to Link. The largest reference in the game is when Skull Kid said Link was like the boy from the woods (can't remember exactly how he said it). Even that wasn't exactly a total deductive giveaway.

I don't think Skyward Sword will be much different.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think the only way for it to ever end a franchise is for a title to sell so horribly that it buries any chances at a future sequel. And any developers would shy away from ever attempting to revive a failed franchise. But Zelda has been such a top selling franchise for so long it might take a few bad games to come even close to that. Even then, a few bad reviewed games has not stopped the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise at all.

I do not believe that the developers are at all concerned with ending a timeline and by extension the series by answering mystery questions in the game's story. There are already a few Zelda games, such as the oracles or FSA, that do not fit into any timeline at all but they are still fun to play. And nintendo does not appear to be nearly as concerned as the fans are with making all the little ends meet perfectly. They are more interested in making the games and then adding the extra flavor in the story later. Even after that all these games are moving backward, so what if we know who the interlopers are or where the master sword came from. They can always do what everyone else does, move forward. Perhaps someone else could try stealing the triforce for themselves, it is a tempting item for any would be conqueror, while Hyrule is within a fantasy world so there could be many other adventures to be had outside of the same old Ganon kidnapped princess routine. ST introduced a demon race that existed before the Hylians, the Twili have shown that there are other tribes that are not as friendly as those found in Hyrule, and MC and FSA have shown that magical items found in Hyrule can corrupt others towards villainy. In a setting like Hyrule I do not see how the story could ever possibly end.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Trust me when I say this; Nintendo is a thriving company and Zelda is one of their major flagships. They'll stop when they've either a) gone out of business or b) when the games start to bomb consistently.

I think the fact is that Nintendo is now trying to make more questions show up in Zelda games, they are probably deliberately making more of a timeline so that way they can keep having more stories available and we will continue to question again and again. Then we shall keep buying in order to ask more questions.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Phantom Hourglass probably references the Wind Waker story the most directly I've seen.

Um... I think that might be because PH is the continuation of WW. Y'know, since it is the direct sequel to WW. Not to be rude or anything, but I think that's how it should normally work.

On topic, I highly doubt that SS will mark the end of the Zelda series. That would leave too many heartbroken fans, and also create a fairly large pitfall in Nintendo's revenue. Besides, I feel like Nintendo has too much fun making the Zelda games to quit.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
All these people have done a good job of explaining why Zelda isn't finished. I'll just address the specific argument presented here about SS completing the story. When asked where in the timeline it was, Aonuma specifically avoided using the word "first" because that would prevent him from making any future game take place before that. By that statement alone, he is planning on making more games.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
All these people have done a good job of explaining why Zelda isn't finished. I'll just address the specific argument presented here about SS completing the story. When asked where in the timeline it was, Aonuma specifically avoided using the word "first" because that would prevent him from making any future game take place before that. By that statement alone, he is planning on making more games.

I agree. Nintendo and Zelda and thriving, so there would be no reason to stop the franchise now. Unless SS bombed and was a terrible game (highly doubted) or they couldn't come op with any mor game ideas (impossible!) Zelda games should still be produced for a while yet. There is no need to worry.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
If all of the questions are answered about the timeline, that doesn't mean that the franchise will end. At all.
Why? Nintendo, and all video games most video games in general, don't care that much about the order of things as far as timelines go. It makes no difference. It's not like it's Nintendo's goal to "close the timeline" at all. I don't think they really care that much about it at all.

I don't expect Zelda to go anywhere in the coming years.

I can never see Nintendo stopping making Zelda games.
Only it will happen is if Nintendo quit making games and go bankrupt.

But i remember reading in a magazine that Nintendo said they where most likely not going to make any Metroid game after Mp3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom