• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda stay Medieval or more Steampunk?

Which Genre should the series follow?

• Steampunk Grit (Time period Ex: 1800s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Medieval Fantasy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Sorry, but I'm more for the medieval setting. It was one of the reasons why I was drawn to the Zelda series. I've always been fascinated by the medieval period and love it when games, stories, etc., are placed in that era. I love playing Zelda since it's placed in that time zone and it makes me feel as if I'm getting a glimpse of what life was like back during those times (well minus the magic, triforce, goddesses, gorons, fairies, zoras, etc.).

But that doesn't mean I don't like steampunk. That to me is interesting as well, but I'm more partial to the medieval themes being in Zelda. It may be the nostalgia on my part, but that's just how I feel about it. In my opinion, medieval seems to fit in better with the Zelda series better than steampunk. But that doesn't mean that I would totally reject a Zelda game that has that theme in it. Sure I might be a little upset and what not, but I'd still play it since it's Zelda and just to see how it turns out. And who knows, it might actually turn out to be an awesome game, it's all in according to how the developers made it to fit in with the series.

But all in all, I'm still for the medieval theme being in Zelda over the steampunk.

Steampunk would suck, especially when you pull out the mastersword to fight somebody and they shoot you with a musket. The NPCs would really be talking about how weird his outfit is while they are all wearing suits and top hats. Medievil all the way.

Austin

Austin
Steampunk would suck, especially when you pull out the mastersword to fight somebody and they shoot you with a musket. The NPCs would really be talking about how weird his outfit is while they are all wearing suits and top hats. Medievil all the way.
Link's weapons and clothes would likely change with the setting.

J

Jlemon21

I'm for the medieval setting, granted the series seems to be stuck their, Nintendo could really change stuff up a bit if they wanted to. Put a 1800's look imo isn't the way to go.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Personally I'm like Knowlee - the medieval setting is part of what attracts me. I enjoy all Zeldas, but my favorite settings tend to be the more traditional ones. It's not the only thing that makes the game for me, though. Also, despite some researching, I'm still a bit confused about what steampunk is and what elements would work best in the series. I did read an article about some parts of the series that were already similar to it (like the Goron Mines) and so I'm not opposed to the idea and I think it could do a lot to make a game it appeared in stand out. For example, I went to wikipedia to read up on the genre and came across this picture (see here for source):

Aerial_house3.jpg

That house looks pretty neat to me and seems to fit the whimsical elements of the series well. It'd be fun to be in a more traditional area of the game and just stumble upon that in our quest, especially if it were more than just a place to meet a character and we could actually explore it. A possible scenario is that it might be the lab of a scientist who was had made technological advances that no one was taking seriously at the time being - which could then provide back story for some of the later elements in the series (like the train).

In short, I probably prefer medieval for the basis of the game, but I don't mind widely branching out from it. We have a lot of reused areas and dungeon themes and I would personally like a balance of the old and the new.

I could live with a scenario in which an upcoming game had one of those Atlantis-like lost civilizations, far more advanced than any nation in Hyrule's present. And when Link travels there, everything is powered by huge steam engines? It'd be just one corner of the game, one temple with ties to the background story. But it'd allow for something that'd feel out of place in the rest of the game.

That sounds pretty cool as well, actually.

Magical Medieval Fantasy.

I can't stand Spirit Tracks. Spirit Tracks ruined the Adult Timeline for me. Keep vehicles, such as trains, out of Zelda in my opinion.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Mmm I think a Steampunk Zelda could be kinda interesting. Worked out for Fable (Xbox) pretty well when they released new games in the series. I would like to play such a game. Some fanmade artwork of this looks awesome!

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
This thread was necromanced.

Anyways, I think a combination of the two would be FABULOUS. I mean, Final Fantasy III had a steampunk/medieval fantasy combo and it was amazing. I feel like this is something that could be done with Gerudo nose Densetsu Zeruda no Densetsu.

Fig

The Altruist
When it comes to the Zelda franchise, I really admire the concept of a medieval genre. It really allows the franchise to keep on adding new game mechanics and features across the years. Not to mention the lore behind the land of Hyrule and the fascinating backstory behind the numerous characters that we were able to know and love as the series continue to grow. I would personally like to keep the franchise as it is right now being based upon medieval, however, I would also love to see what what can the Zelda franchise can create following a steampunk-based design. I think Zelda can pull it off and even though Spirit Tracks was somewhat leaning towards that design it was a new and fresh take on the series.

Anyways, I think a combination of the two would be FABULOUS. I mean, Final Fantasy III had a steampunk/medieval fantasy combo and it was amazing. I feel like this is something that could be done with Gerudo nose Densetsu Zeruda no Densetsu.

Perhaps that is what I would like to see in the distant future of the Zelda franchise. It really is a great risk to not follow an idea or concept that formulated the franchise the way it is right now. I'm not sure how others would feel about this, but I think it would be great to see such an interesting take on for the series. Considering how well Zelda usually do throughout the years, if an upcoming Zelda title was based on the design/concept of steampunk, it wouldn't really destroy the series and could easily recover if such a loss were to occur.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I simply find the more steampunk-y games more fascinating. Perhaps it's just my love for all things mechanical, but I derive more joy from settings with a heavy focus on engineering and mechanics than standard medieval settings. Besides, it's not like the two can't coexist in a steampunk setting (just look at Bioshock Infinite for an example), but the medieval setting is too limited and, well, boring for my taste.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I wouldn't mind more steampunk ideas in the games. The only thing I don't want to see is the appearance of guns in the series. Once a gun is in play, Link's sword will become useless. A sword is one of the biggest staples of the series. I only want to see something similar to Spirit Tracks, only slightly more advanced (if they were to use steampunk).

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I wouldn't mind more steampunk ideas in the games. The only thing I don't want to see is the appearance of guns in the series. Once a gun is in play, Link's sword will become useless. A sword is one of the biggest staples of the series. I only want to see something similar to Spirit Tracks, only slightly more advanced (if they were to use steampunk).

Guns for the enemies wouldn't be terrible if the game had the Steampunk setting. It's not like it's one shot-one kill in the Zelda games. Link can take arrows, swords, hammers, he can be burned and frozen, bitten, stamped on, pushed, and much more. He will survive taking a bullet :P.

He should not get a gun himself however, I agree with you on that. But some kind of mechanic Master Sword would be badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom