• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Zelda have Voice Actors?

Hmm. Obviously Link shouldn't be talking.

But it did seem awkward to me to watch everyone in Twilight Princess move their mouths so accurately but no sound come out.

I think its a mistake to assume the voice acting will be bad today. This isn't the 90s anymore, many games today are being released with realistic, skilled voice acting. Look at PC games like Bioshock, Half-life 2 or the Elder Scrolls.

If Nintendo hired a professional VA casting agent, they could give Hyrule a great set of voices. I think that would work to the benefit of the next Zelda.
I think they'd be able to do it right, too.

But my problem is not that I think it'll be bad voice acting, I just don't think voice acting would fit Zelda. I wouldn't want it even if they got the best voices ever and they totally fit the characters.

kpllk

The future pro yoyoer
No. It would ruin the silent Zelda tradition. But maybe thay should make sound in some of them for the blind people.

I would personally hate it Zelda had voice actors. I actually like reading "pages of text". Moreover, I think that when you play a game, at least ones in the style of Zelda, you start to develop certain ideas about characters, like their personality, speech patters, etc. I think giving them voice actors would ruin this.
Especially, since most of the time the voice is pretty bad and sounds forced. I think this would make Zelda seem less fluid.
The only time I wouldn't mind, is, like Linkman said, for secondary characters. Even then though, I would probably be hypercritical about the voice acting and rather resent it.

Mario was destroyed period in my opinion whenever they gave him a voice. To me, one who believes Zelda to be a "type" of RPG, the silent-text type fits the game.

Whenever I play Super Mario World on my GBA, I cringe almost every time Mario gets a power up and says "Just what I needed!" Its just not right... I mean, maybe thats NOT what I needed. Just maybe thats exactly what I DID NOT need. Now I gotta press select, wait for the other power up to float its way down, risk losing it if an enemy comes that I have to avoid. I would hate to cringe up through an entire Zelda game.

Last edited:
Z

zeldatwilight55

CD i

Now, to prove why I think they shouldn't add voices, maybe no one has heard but there was a game of zelda by sony. They were known as CD-i games but were a complete failure partually because they used voices but mostly because of the quality and graphics.

Now, to prove why I think they shouldn't add voices, maybe no one has heard but there was a game of zelda by sony. They were known as CD-i games but were a complete failure partually because they used voices but mostly because of the quality and graphics.

Indeed, that made them worse.And some of the CD-I Zelda's used actual actors and actresses. Personally, I consider the CD-I games to be an abomination.

I actually read an article about this somewhere with one of Nintendo's grand puhbas who make Loz, he said that they wanted the player to feel more in control of Link, and scince your voice wouldn't sound like the 2 star actor they would hire to do his voice, ...:hmm: ....I lost it but I don't think they should make voices, ecspecially not for Link!!

kpllk

The future pro yoyoer
I think that they should make two versions of every game. One version should have vioce acting and the other shouldn't.

I think that they should make two versions of every game. One version should have vioce acting and the other shouldn't.

I think they should make one version of every game, one with no voice acting and ...thats it. jk thats actually a pretty good ideia, but from a production standpoint, it would cost too much.

A

almoststarskate

This is so stupid of me, but how do you post a thread?

Stella3000

Starlight
No. As a few have said, most will probably think that the voice actors suck, which means that they probably won't buy it anyway. I'm not a fan of voice acting, I love to read anyway, and it keeps things simple.

I only like voice acting if it is done right. Like others have pointed out though, it usually sucks when done for games.

As far as having voice acting in the LoZ....even if done right I would not like it as much as what they are doing now. I love reading too, and keeping the game simple (as far as characters talking goes) has become one of the things it is loved for. I believe that Nintendo would lose a lot of its LoZ fans if they started doing voice acting all of a sudden.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
I actually read an article about this somewhere with one of Nintendo's grand puhbas who make Loz, he said that they wanted the player to feel more in control of Link, and scince your voice wouldn't sound like the 2 star actor they would hire to do his voice, ...:hmm:

Sure, Link shouldn't speek, I think everone agrees on that, but I think the NPC should have vioice actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom