• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Future Zelda Games Feature More Exploration?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
The Zelda games of past offered the player not only immense dungeons to explore, but also side dungeons and cool hidden caves chock full of neat items. Modern Zelda games seem to have turned its focus more on the main dungeons and temples. Whenever I play a modern Zelda game, it feels a little like I've been cheated. So should future Zelda games feature more exploration features?

:kirby:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. Exploration is one of the weakest aspects of the series. Zelda has tried and tried, but it's just not cut out for it. Hell, it was the exploration that made my first run of Wind Waker a living hell. I nearly couldn't beat the game because of how bored the exploration made me.

Big Octo

=^)
I personally believe so. I absolutely love exploration in games, and I personally haven't been satisfied with the amount put in in recent Zelda games. Give us more, Nintendo.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Exploration was the whole point of Zelda in the beginning. You started with nothing and didn't acquire a sword unless you thought to check out the cave.
You didn't get anywhere in the first Zelda unless you explored and experimented. Zelda was meant for exploration, not a linear progression.

ALttP and MM are the best games in regards to exploration, Both feature an overworld that is brimming with secrets just begging to be found.
The majority of dungeons in ALttP can be completed in any order, which is the one thing it has on MM.

SS is the worst offender at not having enough secrets to be found. The overworld was small and linear with very few optional areas or acloves; and the sky was barren and empty, the islands either had just a minigame or at most a couple goddess chests, there was very little reason to be in the sky at all aside from the bazaar and story events.

What I want from Zelda in regards to exploration is an open world that is brimming with secrets.
I want to feel like there is a reason to cut every blade of grass because there might be something concealed.
I want caves that are twisty and windy with forks and dead ends that sometimes are really a tunnel between areas.
I want to feel like part of the world not just along for the ride. I want the secrets to be fun and clever and not just put in to appease a few fans.

Definitely. I've always preferred games that let me discover their worlds by myself rather than having everything presented to me in a linear fashion. If I wanted to go from point A to point B, without doing anything of variance in between, I'd watch a movie instead.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Exploration is not going in a straight line, looking at the scenery. Exploration is going through a land unknown and finding the very secrets of it. For more information on what I'm talking about, look at Guild Wars 2. THAT is the epitome of exploration.

Naturally, my answer is YES, the future Zelda should feature more exploration. Both compulsory by way of the quest (since w eknow Link is going to be a generic "coming of age" hero as he usually is), and for the hidden yummies.

Ragadash

Composer of the Sea's
Oh my gosh yes, exploring Hyrule, after just coming out of the little Kokri village in OoT was the best part, seeing the lakes and rivers, and deserts that I would soon be fighting in was great. The exploring in WW made for a real experience, but the world was too little, two small of islands. Consider Spirit tracks, a game with the least exploration. The only places you can go are fixed stations, and even then they are all small. Link is normally a child, seeing a huge world before a child's eyes shows you how big the world really is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom