• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Future Antagonists Be Fought Multiple Times?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It could be seen that way if it was just a sudden change, I suppose. Like if you see a character and they're just toying with you, then suddenly they are furious the next time you see them. A more full development would show that transition, not just the two emotional states.

It... does. Each encounter, Ghirahim gets more and more frustrated with Link. I don't see how you could say otherwise. It happens directly in the game.

I actually like the example brought up about Pokemon rival battles. While he/she wasn't the main antagonist, the two of you squared of several times, and I actually enjoyed that. Perhaps Zelda could be trying something new and interesting if it decided to have multiple, albeit secondary antagonists/rivals.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It... does. Each encounter, Ghirahim gets more and more frustrated with Link. I don't see how you could say otherwise. It happens directly in the game.

I'm not saying in direct relation to Ghirahim, I'm just saying that in general, if a character makes a sudden and complete change in personality, that can be seen as minimal development.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
"Minimal"? How is going from toying with someone to being so furious with him that you will stop at nothing to kill him minimal development?

That's not character development. That's just a harder boss battle. Trying to fight your hardest in someone who might actually kill you is no development. It's common sense. And like Cfrock said, Ghirahim never slowly begins to acknowledge Link's power. He just gets annoyed and decides to kill/stall him.

Getting ticked off at someone for going out of their way to stop you from achieving your goals isn't development. It's common sense. And actually, no, he doesn't get more frustrated until the end.

Skyview Temple: He teases Link and says he's in a bad mood and needs to torture him.

Earth Temple: See above. Except this time he uses a monster to do it.

Ancient Cistern: He's bored and more or less does it for the lulz.

Fire Sanctuary: See Skyview Temple. He decides he will kill Link for not revealing where to find Zelda. He's not openly frustrated and merely teases him.

Final Battle: He's finally ticked off.

New Link

Link's Reincarnation
Well, I didn't like not having a monster that you burrow with and fight in the Fire Snctuary, I would like if he popped up in dungeons, out of dungeons, and just always trying to stop you.

That's not character development. That's just a harder boss battle. Trying to fight your hardest in someone who might actually kill you is no development. It's common sense. And like Cfrock said, Ghirahim never slowly begins to acknowledge Link's power. He just gets annoyed and decides to kill/stall him.

Getting ticked off at someone for going out of their way to stop you from achieving your goals isn't development. It's common sense. And actually, no, he doesn't get more frustrated until the end.

I firmly disagree. I think that Ghirahim is deeply irritated with the "boy" from the beginning. I feel that his disdain with Link was deepening throughout the journey and, dialogue aside, the fact that his attacks become stonger each time they meet shows that Ghirahim's confidence (and patience) gradually declines.

Well, I didn't like not having a monster that you burrow with and fight in the Fire Snctuary, I would like if he popped up in dungeons, out of dungeons, and just always trying to stop you.

I agree. Molarach is one of the most annoying bosses ever.

Generally, seeing the main antagonist appear several times gives the game a sense of flow and unity. It's like a brilliant piece of literature. Though I feel that way about most Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom