• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should a Zelda Movie Be Made?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NO! NO! NO! *she cried out passionately*

A Zelda movie based on a game would have people like me screaming about how much they changed and how non-canonical it is. If it isn't based on a game, then fans will have trouble accepting it as canon, and if it isn't then fans will lose interest. There's no market in it--The Legend of Zelda is a video game. Not a novel(though the mangas are all right). Not a play. Not a movie!

Clank

Hmm
It is like the cartoon, then definitely, as those were great. I was kind-of sad to see that they only made so few...

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Did I mention no?

Lolololol! The first time I heard of a potential movie I totally freaked out, as well! I still agree with you, but some people I know think it would be a good idea (don't ask). I think that if they made a Zelda movie, it would determine the character's personality, and therefore pretty much ruin the game for most people (including me). However if they did end up making a movie, I would go see it, simply because it's Zelda. But I do hope that they keep Zelda just the way it is, and don't expand it and ruin it - they're doing that for a lot of things lately, and it's just stupid.

It is like the cartoon, then definitely, as those were great. I was kind-of sad to see that they only made so few...

I agree - if it were a life-action film it would probably suck. Like that april-fools Zelda movie trailer on YouTube? Omg, I think I vomited in my mouth when I saw the cast. Lol. When it comes to Zelda, no celebrity can match them.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes please. I'd love to see a Zelda movie. Granted this theoretical movie would most likely be a generic type, so why not base it on a generic plot (i.e Ocarina of Time's)?

I am not understanding the arguments against a Zelda movie, though. :I

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
Yes please. I'd love to see a Zelda movie. Granted this theoretical movie would most likely be a generic type, so why not base it on a generic plot (i.e Ocarina of Time's)?

I am not understanding the arguments against a Zelda movie, though. :I

I side on both sides; I think that if there was a movie it would be great in itself, but then I'm also afraid they might change a few things - even the smallest things in Zelda add so much. That's the only reason I can see why they wouldn't/shouldn't make a movie.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I side on both sides; I think that if there was a movie it would be great in itself, but then I'm also afraid they might change a few things - even the smallest things in Zelda add so much. That's the only reason I can see why they wouldn't/shouldn't make a movie.

Mhm, right, but I do believe a Zelda movie would automatically be non-canon. This doesn't mean everything goes - it just gives the filmwriters some more creative freedom! :)

Although, I can kind of side with you on the change bit, assuming they get portrayals absolutely wrong (unless it was intentional), or have ridiculous names for classical enemies (e.g calling a Leever a Lanmola or something).

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I was a victim of the LoZ Movie April Fools joke about 4 or 5 years back when i seen that trailer. My buddys all got together, hyped me up showed me the trailer, then i seen the April 1st release date at the end, took a second, and got Mad. I thought the trailer looked cool.

as far as it actually being done, i dont think i would mind. Im a fan of CRAPPY movies anyways, and as long as they got a bunch of Nobody actors, i would be fine. Heres the thing about a Cast. If you put Actors in there that we already know, we will fight against it saying it dont fit. But if there is a cast of actors who still have yet to make something of themselves i think we would be more excepting.

Movies based on games have been done Wrong and Right? It all depends on how they go about it. If they dont take themselves to Serious and if they get a cast of people no one knows and cant argue that they dont fit the role because they have never seen them in anything before, i truly think it can work. I would go see it, and im sure i would like it, even if its a B Class Movie. I think the Resident Evil Movies turned out to make a lot of money, and it has nothing to do with the game, the acting kinda sucks, but they got the hot chick from The Fifth Element to play Alice and we get to watch that hot chick beat the hell out of zombies and other mutants once a year. Are they good "Movies"? not really! But are they fun to watch? yes, yes they are!

I know a lot of people are attached to LoZ and dont want anyone touching it, but i look at it this way. What can it hurt? Its not like a Crappy movie is going to ruin the games! Will it give the LoZ name a bad rep on the outside... maybe, but use Zelda fans really shouldnt be worried about it, cuz if they make the movie, its really Only for us, we will like it or we wont, then we will return to the games and get back to our normal nerdy Lives!

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I know a lot of people are attached to LoZ and dont want anyone touching it, but i look at it this way. What can it hurt? Its not like a Crappy movie is going to ruin the games! Will it give the LoZ name a bad rep on the outside... maybe, but use Zelda fans really shouldnt be worried about it, cuz if they make the movie, its really Only for us, we will like it or we wont, then we will return to the games and get back to our normal nerdy Lives!

Smart paragraph right here ^ ^. Now that I think about it, if you're a Zelda fan, you will either like it or hate it. Doesn't matter because you're already a fan and nothing really is going to change that (unless you're extremely gullible). Like I said in another comment on this thread, the movie in it-self would probably be pretty okay, so if you've never played Zelda, it will just seem like yet another mediocre movie.

I'm opposed to the concept of a Zelda movie because I don't see how the essence of the franchise can be conveyed in a short several hour frame. At best, it would offer a brief glimpse into Link's life, show some snippets of his journey to save Hyrule, and focus on some type of confrontation with Ganondorf which is hardly representative of the series.

The Legend of Zelda was designed as a videogame. The details present could only be outlined through an interactive experience. While Zelda has never offered as much decisions as say, Mass Effect, player choice drives the experience. Skyward Sword cemented that direction with customization options including the upgrade system.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Effect, player choice drives the experience

Hah, not at all. I mean, sure, the player was able to do certain sidequests whenever they so pleased (bar MM), but player choice has an incredibly insignificant role in the series, especially in Skyward Sword where the upgrades are not only meaningless, but incredibly hard to get without grinding! Ahah, tell me again that player choice is relevant mate! As I see it, it couldn't do anything at all to be an effective last-bastion for the saving-the-series-from-a-movie brigade. :I

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Hah, not at all. I mean, sure, the player was able to do certain sidequests whenever they so pleased (bar MM), but player choice has an incredibly insignificant role in the series, especially in Skyward Sword where the upgrades are not only meaningless, but incredibly hard to get without grinding! Ahah, tell me again that player choice is relevant mate! As I see it, it couldn't do anything at all to be an effective last-bastion for the saving-the-series-from-a-movie brigade. :I

I wouldn't say especially Skyward Sword. You had one sidequest where you could change the outcome. Insignificant? Yes. But it doesn't even exist in the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom