• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resident Evil 6 Discussion Thread (Keep Everything About RE6 Here)

Kirino

Tatakae
Resident Evil 6 comes out tommorow. Some of the reviews are pretty bad. It only has a 70/100 on Metacritic out of 39 reviews. Not that any of them will really affect my view on the game since I loved the demo.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Here are a bunch of reviews:
Review: Resident Evil 6 -Destructoid (negative)
Resident Evil 6 - PlayStation 3 - IGN (decent)
Incredible Co-op With A Few Kinks - Resident Evil 6 - Xbox 360 - www.GameInformer.com
Resident Evil 6 Review - GameSpot.com
Resident Evil 6 Review | GamesRadar

Overall the reaction to RE6 seems mixed, with the most negative reviews having qualms with story pacing, the camera (the camera isn't even that bad; if you suck at the game of course you'll have problems...this is natural), bad level design, etc. But the biggest qualm I can see, and this is personal opinion, is that RE6 isn't anything like classic RE therefore it is bad. The reviewers don't state it outright, but I've been around the RE block. I've hated on RE5 for being different from old RE. I've been there, done that, done it more times than I can count really. I know their tactics. Just because it isn't the same as old RE doesn't mean it is a bad video game. A terrible Resident Evil, maybe, but not a terrible video game on itself. I'm certain I'll enjoy the game, even if there are many noticeable kinks in its armor.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I'm torn about Resident Evil 6. It was my seventh or so most anticipated game of the year and these mixed reviews have left me cynical. At least I didn't preorder the title, eliminating the commitment facotr from the equation. Having watched IGN's thorough review, however, I understand the gripes surrounding the game. Resident Evil 6 is a grand survival horror and action game but it fails to pace these elements accordingly in order to create a fluid whole. My first impression upon seeing the unveiling in January, however, was,"Wow, this is the best action game I've seen in years," and on that front the goriness of this latest installment appears to deliver.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Resident Evil 6 is a grand survival horror

No, RE6 is not a survival horror game. Capcom themselves has said that RE6 was an intentional departure from the genre in favor for an action approach; this is to grab more fans as the action genre very clearly is larger than survival horror. By and large I'd say this is a bad design choice for Capcom -- most of us old RE fans loved the tight quarters and really abhor the action approach -- but a company does what it must to make money. But again, I have to say, RE6 isn't a survival horror game. It's action.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I've hated on RE5 for being different from old RE. I've been there, done that, done it more times than I can count really. I know their tactics. Just because it isn't the same as old RE doesn't mean it is a bad video game. A terrible Resident Evil, maybe, but not a terrible video game on itself. I'm certain I'll enjoy the game, even if there are many noticeable kinks in its armor.

One thing I never understood was how the critics lauded Resident Evil 4 and lambasted Resident Evil 5 when everything 5 was accused of doing to move the franchise away from its roots had already been done by 4.

The sooner the gaming press get its head around the fact that Resident Evil changed with number 4 the better, I say. Resident Evil 5 is not a bad Resident Evil game because 4 changed what Resident Evil was. Resident Evil does not mean today what it meant 10 years ago and that is because 4 was embraced with such open arms.

People forget that Resident Evil sales were stagnating because critics and players alike were tired of the same old formula of tank-track control and fixed cameras. If the series had stayed that way, Capcom would have been forced to drop it. Instead they decided to reinvent the series and since then they've been fighting nostalgia and nothing more.

I think it's unfair and that it taints one of gaming's truly excellent franchises in the eys of many.

Kirino

Tatakae
Out of about 300 user reviews, 250 are negative. I see tons of zeroes, and pretty much all of them say it's not survival horror anymore or just say it sucks without giving any reason. Also, the Xbox 360 version is rated at 68% while the PS3 version is rated 77%. Wonder why.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
pretty much all of them say it's not survival horror anymore

This is exactly my point. Resident Evil 4 did away with survival horror but no one said a bad word about it. Yet when 5 and 6 follow 4's example everyone complains. I just do not understand it.

Eurogamer even went so far as to cite the game's impressive length as a negative point. Seriously, for the last five years they, and a great deal of the gaming public, have constantly moaned about how short games are these days; campaigns which last only 6-10 hours in AAA titles have become standard. At last a game comes along which has the audacity to provide a lot of content and substance for your money and the torches & pitchforks come out.

Resident Evil as a franchise can't do right for doing wrong these days and, honestly, it's because people are idiots. Criticise the games all you want, but criticise then for legitimate reasons. Don't tell me Resi 5 is bad because you liked Resi 2 more. Don't tell me Resi 6 is bad because it was more than 12 hours of gameplay with a robust after-game. Don't tell me Capcom suck because they've taken the time to listen to the fans and have put a lot of effort into making a game that they hope appeals to people who don't know what they want.

If you have been a fan of Resident Evil since 4, then you'll like 6. It's that simple. If you're one of these people who just wants another 'classic', slow paced, static camera, tank-track Resi, then go play one. Just don't call Resi 6 bad because it's not what your nostalgia wanted.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This is exactly my point. Resident Evil 4 did away with survival horror but no one said a bad word about it. Yet when 5 and 6 follow 4's example everyone complains. I just do not understand it.

Eurogamer even went so far as to cite the game's impressive length as a negative point. Seriously, for the last five years they, and a great deal of the gaming public, have constantly moaned about how short games are these days; campaigns which last only 6-10 hours in AAA titles have become standard. At last a game comes along which has the audacity to provide a lot of content and substance for your money and the torches & pitchforks come out.

Resident Evil as a franchise can't do right for doing wrong these days and, honestly, it's because people are idiots. Criticise the games all you want, but criticise then for legitimate reasons. Don't tell me Resi 5 is bad because you liked Resi 2 more. Don't tell me Resi 6 is bad because it was more than 12 hours of gameplay with a robust after-game. Don't tell me Capcom suck because they've taken the time to listen to the fans and have put a lot of effort into making a game that they hope appeals to people who don't know what they want.

If you have been a fan of Resident Evil since 4, then you'll like 6. It's that simple. If you're one of these people who just wants another 'classic', slow paced, static camera, tank-track Resi, then go play one. Just don't call Resi 6 bad because it's not what your nostalgia wanted.

Seriously, sometimes it just seems like reviewers are unfair when it comes to Resident Evil. I just don't see the logic in Call of Duty getting high scores on a yearly basis, while Resident Evil is being criticized for being something it hasn't been for 7 years now. It's like the reviewers rate it according to their personal thoughts on Resident Evil as a series and nostalgia, rather than what it is as a game. And this is coming from someone who prefers the original Resident Evil games.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's a case of Resident Evil 4 still having relatively good design, although even it becomes repetitive 1/3 of the way in, making it a heavily overrated title. 5 did not have very good design at all. It had a decent opening, but after that it suffered the same fate of 4, only at a much larger scale. 6 is just a cluster****. There's no nice way to put it. It's a jumbled mess of different ideas that don't know how to work together cohesively. It feels like Capcom has just thrown as many possible things as they could at the wall in hopes that they would stick. A development company like them should know better than that. I mean, even the controls -- the LAST thing I expected to have issues with -- are somewhat iffy. They're not inaccurate, but they feel floaty and awkward to handle.

There's simply nothing good about this game. I hate to say that, but that's just how it is. If you don't agree, okay. There's nothing I can do about that. But I firmly believe that this is the worst Resident Evil game to date, and that's not like saying this is the worst Zelda game to date. RE has delt with numerous bad titles. Zelda hasn't dealt with one (aside from the CD-i's). After Revelations, I had high hopes for the series. My faith was restored in the once beloved survival/horror franchise when it was just about to be sapped dry. 6 has come along and dashed all remaining hope inside of me. I've given up on the series as of now. Unless Capcom can make a ridiculous comeback from this, the Resident Evil franchise is going to die a slow and painful death.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There's simply nothing good about this game. I hate to say that, but that's just how it is. If you don't agree, okay. There's nothing I can do about that. But I firmly believe that this is the worst Resident Evil game to date, and that's not like saying this is the worst Zelda game to date. RE has delt with numerous bad titles. Zelda hasn't dealt with one (aside from the CD-i's). After Revelations, I had high hopes for the series. My faith was restored in the once beloved survival/horror franchise when it was just about to be sapped dry. 6 has come along and dashed all remaining hope inside of me. I've given up on the series as of now. Unless Capcom can make a ridiculous comeback from this, the Resident Evil franchise is going to die a slow and painful death.

You were a fool to think the series was going to continue along the path of Revelations. Also, I highly doubt Resident Evil is going to die. Just look at Sonic...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You were a fool to think the series was going to continue along the path of Revelations.

After a major improvement like that? Not really. There was plenty of reason to believe Capcom had learned from their mistakes. I was still wary that they might screw up again, but I had every right to have my faith restored.

Also, let's not hurl insults at people, shall we?

Also, I highly doubt Resident Evil is going to die. Just look at Sonic...

Good point. :lol:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You were a fool to think the series was going to continue along the path of Revelations. Also, I highly doubt Resident Evil is going to die. Just look at Sonic...

Hrm...yes, I have to agree with Turo here, Capcom themselves stated that Resident Evil 6 was a mass departure from series roots in order to tap into that action market which in turn translates to more sales. Survival Horror as a genre is the thing that is dying a slow, painful death here. Now, I don't know where I'd rank RE6 as a Resident Evil title, but as a video game, it is damn good. The controls like any game take getting used to, but the good thing here is that the controls don't make it so you pass/fail the game. I don't get the complaints about the camera at all, nor do I understand complaints about the cover system or really other gameplay aspects. They take SOME adapting to, what controls don't, but that learning curve isn't anywhere near as steep as reviewers make them out to be, nor are the controls broken in any respect. If you're bad at the game, you're just not going to do well...this isn't the game's fault no matter how much Destructoid might want it to seem.

But anyway, I should be picking the game up pretty soon for PS3...not that I'm playing it, but as a gift to be bequeathed unto a friend. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom