• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Steel

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Today was a good day. To those who pay attention to our community, it's my birthday (thanks for all the birthday wishes, everyone! :)), I got a new computer and a new bike, both of the only important things on my list. Then my friend got tickets to an advance screening to this movie, 8 days before it's release. To be honest, based on the previews I believed I wouldn't like this movie. However, I went, and I have to say that I was absolutely surprised.

This new movie, starring Hugh Jackman, Evangeline Lilly, Dakota Goyo, is based in the near future where human fighting such as Boxing and MMA has taken side saddle to no holds barred, everything goes robot fights. They take you from the exhibition, showboating fights for petty cash at county fairs through the robot fighting underground all the way through to the top, world championship matches. Basically, it's Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, meets Transformers, meets Rocky. But it's a pretty original idea (which is /rare/, I looked at the list of current and upcoming movies at the theater; there were 17 movies that were remakes, re-hashed ideas, and movies stolen from real life stories, and a total of one original idea). I added a synopsis to IMDb, but if you go to read it be warned it's got spoilers.

I have to say that I really, really liked this movie. The acting was great (the directing was spotty at times) by all lead cast, had good effects that seemed almost too real for nothing but the fact that the artists created real robots and programmed them with real fighting moves. There were a few problems, mainly the lighting was completely realistic in most scenes and a few parts were cliche, but it's an original idea, acted well with characters that draw you in, screened nicely, had a few surprising moments, and lots of laughs for such an action movie. I would have to rate this movie 9/10, which is probably really good since I'm a very critical person (if you've ever asked for my opinions on a fanfic or something similar, you'd know this).

The movie is set in the near future, year 2020. It's mostly similar to modern day life; no flying cars or robot butlers. There are some technical advances shown in the fields that are most popular today, besides robotics. These include superfluous tablet computers; retractable, all-in-1 smart car computers, and expandable, customizable cellphones; all touch screen and made with a synthetic transparent-blue glass or plastic. But we still have many things exactly the same; Dr. Pepper still comes in aluminum cans and mesh wire fences.

All-in-all, it seems like a pretty realistic, if somewhat optimistic, future for our society. Do you think anything like this can happen any time in the future? Do you think it is going to happen? Are we already on the way?

Anyway, enough blah blah blah. I loved the movie. What have you seen about it? Are you looking forward to it, or do you think it's going to be a blahfest? Going to see it? Want to buy it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom