• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Re-using Previous Overworlds

After a conversation with a friend on this topic I've wondered if the idea of Nintendo re-using a previous overworld (outside of remake territory) could actually fly...

We all know about the possibility of an ALttP remake. None of us know what guise that will/would take, if it could retain its 2D world and simply have layered scenery, or if the same world in the 2D original would be completely rebuilt into a sprawling 3D epic.

I know i'd go for the rebuilt 3D model but what about other games as sequels to already existing ones using an overworld we have seen before in the same way.

What if the fabled ALttP sequel were to use the exact same overworld but in OoT style 3D?
What if a sequel to any of the 2D games were to be made and feature the same overworld?

Would you accept such a thing? Or is the only time that re-using an overworld would be acceptable would be in the form of a remake?
Conversely; what if we were given SS2, and what if the sky remained unchanged but we were given new provinces, would only a little change against a whole section of the previous game be accepted?

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think I'd be ok with re-using an overworld if it was a 2D overworld becoming 3D or if it was a sequel and so showed some kind of changes but was ultimately the same place.

I'd actually love to have The Minish Cap's overworld done in 3D. Climbing Mt. Crenel and getting around Castle Town would be brilliant in 3D.

I also think that it could work but to me (and maybe i am wrong) unless they make a new sequel there are not enough direct sequels in Zelda to make it convincing to me. I think with the time and seasons mechanique OOA and OOS could be brought into a startling 3D world.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
SS2... Ok I'm on board with this idea.

I really like the idea of revisiting old 2-D worlds remade in 3D, most notably ALttP. And I would also like the idea of revisiting some of the 3D realms, as long as they do something new with the game and added new areas on top of the old ones. I l really liked the aesthetics of TP and SS especially, so to see games revisit those worlds would be a really neat gesture to the fans, and it allows them to build off the worlds already in place and make something new out of it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would love to see an overworld that used a transportation overworld and a wilderness overworld in tandem, i.e. what Skyward Sword's overworld could have been. It'd be really cool and effective so long as the design remained proper (like most of SS's surface was).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It really depends on what reusing the previous overworlds entail. Same caves, same secret areas, etc? Will the enemy population be the same, or would it be different (think ALttP's Light World vs Dark World; same basic layout but things are still very different from each other)? I would much enjoy a game reusing, say, Ocarina of Time's overworld or more notably Oracle of Season's overworld, but there need to be more changes if reusing them is to actually happen. I don't know, maybe I am overthinking this?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would much enjoy a game reusing, say, Ocarina of Time's overworld or more notably Oracle of Season's overworld, but there need to be more changes if reusing them is to actually happen. I don't know, maybe I am overthinking this?

There would absolutely need to be changes made to them, especially OoS's overworld (it's one of the worst in the franchise). OoT's would need to be given more content and side-areas with in the branch-offs from the hub, otherwise it would wind up being a relatively linear overworld again.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
If you want to think of the matter from a time-line perspective, then, yes, re-using past overworlds would be a great idea. However, from a game-design point-of-view, no, it isn't the best idea.

Personally, I think the best thing that is done in Zelda is having little nods to the past Zelda titles to show that things are still there, but have shifted around due to Acts-of-the-Goddesses (earthquake, drought, etc.) or diplomatic reasons (Seal Wars, conflicts amongst tribes resulting in the removal of entire towns, etc.), especially with Wind Waker, which didn't share an overworld with OoT but definitely showed a lot of the landmarks there for references as to what happened with the landscape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom