• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rank the Super Mario games

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Only the platforming games in the series count.
  1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - Strong level design, color and diversity. Innovates with the anti-gravity.
  2. Super Mario World (SNES) - Excellent atmosphere. Quality title all around.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - More of that same great gameplay.
  4. Super Mario Bros 1 (NES) - Classic. Short and simple but holds up damn well.
  5. New Super Mario Bros (Wii) - My favorite of the NSMB bunch gameplay-wise.
  6. New Super Mario Bros (NDS) - A strong revival for the 2D Mario games.
  7. SMB2 The Lost Levels (NES) - A nice challenge mode for the fans.
  8. Super Mario 64 (N64) - Love the exploration elements to it.
  9. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) - Not as refined as N64, but gets the atmosphere right.
  10. Super Mario Land 2 (GBC) - Refines the original into a better entry.
  11. New Super Mario Bros (3DS) - Not very original but a good title nonetheless.
  12. Super Mario Advance (GBA) - Significantly improved SMB2.
  13. Super Mario Land (GBC) - Nothing wrong with a little simple classic.
  14. New Super Mario Bros (Wii U) - Enough already.
  15. Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - Good compilation but physics feel weird.
  16. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) - Never got into it - not a fan of the atmosphere.
  17. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - IMO, boring. The 3D effect is kinda nauseating.
  18. Super Mario Bros 2 (NES) - Bland ugly art style. Screen is jerky.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm not sure I could really rank them in any meaningful way. But of what I've played, which does not include the super old ones, Super Mario Galaxy is by far the best one. By a mile.

I'll rank the ones I have played. 1 being my favourite.
I will not include remakes like All Stars as they are the same thing just with better graphics.

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Wii
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii
3. Super Mario Bros 3 - NES
4. Super Mario 64 - N64
5. Super Mario World - SNES
6. Super Mario 2 (The turnip plucking one) - NES
7. Super Mario 1 - NES
8. Super Mario 3D Worlds - WiiU
9. Super Mario Bros 2 (Japanese master quest version of the 1st game) - NES (it's Lost Levels on All Stars)
10. Super Mario Sunshine - GC

• The last 2 I dislike equally as much.
  • SMB 3 in my opinion is the best 2D Mario game by a mile. It is as revolutionary for the NES as Galaxy 1/2 was for the Wii.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'll just rank the ones I've played.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Super Mario Bros. 3
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. Super Mario 64
  6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  7. Super Mario 3D Land

Starting with my favorite
1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Bros. 2
3. Super Mario World
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Super Paper Mario
6. New Super Mario Wii
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
My top 3 could really be interchangeable in which I favor, I think that put together they give the ultimate Mario experience.

1) Super Mario Bros 3
2) Super Mario World
3) Super Mario 64

The four middle games are games I play and enjoy, but that either didn't give me the same feel as the games above or I have some critisism for them.

4) Super Mario 3D World
5) Super Mario Galaxy 2
6) Super Mario Galaxy
7) Super Mario 3D Land

The bottom two are games that I either just didn't enjoy that much or that just haven't aged well.

8) Super Mario Bros 2
9) Super Mario Bros

Haven't played the others enough or at all to rank them, will have to wait and see where they end up on the list...

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
but...paper mario ;-;

1. Sunshine
2.Galaxy 2
3. Galaxy
4. 64 DS
5.NSMBW
6. 3
7. World
8. 1 (Deluxe version)
9. 2 (Advance version)
10. Land 2

this is of course out of the ones i've played
and just b/c land 2 or 2 advance are so low doesn't mean i didn't really enjoy them,i liked all of them a lot

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I haven't played every core Mario game in the Mario series, but from what I have played:

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. Super Mario Land (G:cool:
4. New Super Mario Bros (DS)
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
6. Super Mario Land 2 (G:cool:
7. New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)
8. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
9. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
10. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
11. Super Mario 64 (N64)

I actually hate Galaxy and M64. Not good games to me, at all.

Hmm, never been the biggest Mario fun but of the ones I've played....

1. Super Mario 64
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Super Mario World
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Super Mario Sunshine
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. New Super Mario Bros DS
9. New Super Mario Bros Wii
10. Super Mario Bros (SNES)
11. Super Mario Bros 3 (SNES)
12. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
13. New Super Mario Bros U
14. Super Mario Bros 2 (SNES)
15. Super Mario Land

I've beaten them all except the lost levels, so I can't rank that one, but I'm sure it would be dead last.

As much as I love Yoshi's Island and Mario Maker, I consider them spinoffs, so am not including them. Nor Super Mario Run which I've never played.

Also I'm not counting remakes like advance or all stars.

So... that leaves 16 Mario platformers. And here's my order:

1 - Super Mario 64
An absolute classic in every sense. My only gripe is that it's not aged well, and the camera and controls are too awkward. But other than this, just amazing and has to be my number 1.

2 - Super Mario Galaxy 2

Although I don't remember it hugely as I've only played it once, it was an enormously fun game and much better than galaxy 1 IMO.

3 - New Super Mario Bros U
While not original, I thought this was the best NSMB title. And those optional challenges were a nice touch.

4 - Super Mario 3D World
A great, all-round game, complete with cat bowser.

5 - New Super Mario Bros Wii
Excellent game, and gotta love the return of the koopalings.

6 - Super Mario Bros 3
Basically, an absolute classic.

7 - Super Mario World
Same as I said for SMB3, and it was a tough call between the two.

8 - New Super Mario Bros 2
While nothing spectacular, it's another solid game.

9 - Super Mario 3D Land
Just a weaker version of 3D world. It is ok.

10 - Super Mario Galaxy
It was good enough but I didn't love it, and it's completely overshadowed by it's sequel IMO.

11 - New Super Mario Bros
It's ok, but I'm just not fussed about it really. Also, no koopalings.

12 - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
An odd title. I kind of like it as it has a unique feel with unique bosses and levels. But the controls are a mess.

13 - Super Mario Sunshine
IMO it's insanely difficult (in the game's first half), so I was very frustrated with it. The levels are nice but they all have the same feel. Squirting water isn't particularly fun.

14 - Super Mario Bros 2
I actually think it's an ok game, but it will always rank low, as it is quite primitive.

15 - Super Mario Land
Not terrible, but meh.

16 - Super Mario Bros
I will get flamed for this. But I honestly don't like this game. Yes it is important, and started the series, and saved the game industry etc. But that doesn't mean I have to enjoy the game. It is extremely primitive, the controls are stiff as hell, the game is hard as hell and frustrating. Just because it's the first doesn't mean it's gonna rank high for me, just like TLOZ series' first entry.

Last edited:

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
Top Ten:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Yoshi's Island
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Paper Mario
7. Super Mario World
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. New Super Mario Bros. U
10. Super Mario Bros.

Never fully "played" Super Mario 64, but I'm sure it would be somewhere on that list. Maybe 11?

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): The best in the series all-around. I could write paragraph after paragraph about this game. Great level design, perfect, fluid gameplay, more original story than most other Mario games, innovative use of motion controls and the gravity gimmick, and extremely engaging overall. This was also the first Mario game I ever played so of course nostalgia plays a factor. Even so, I think this game should be a contender for the best on anyone’s list.

2. Super Mario Sunshine (GCN): Nice change of pace from other 3D Mario games. Decent level design with awesome gameplay. Feels more classic than it should. The graphics still hold up as well; the water looks better than the water in the Mario Galaxy games.

3. Super Mario 64 (N64): A lot of fun to be had with this game. Fun gameplay, good level design, classic Mario game that needs to be played.

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii): Doesn’t compare to the original Galaxy for me, but still worth playing through at least once. For me, the green stars don’t add much playability but the level design is good and the fluid movement is still there from Galaxy.

5. Super Mario Land (GB: Very underrated classic. I learned to speedrun this game and can beat it in about 16 minutes but am still improving.

6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii): The best of the NSMB games. Better than the DS version because of the multiplayer and varied level design.

7. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): Almost comes in number 6 for me. Decent gameplay and okay level design but somehow this one stuck with me.

8. New Super Mario Bros. (DS): Not as good for me as the Wii version, but having it on a portable console is great, the perfect game for that long car ride.

9. Super Mario Bros. (NES): Every Mario, no, video game fan should play this game just for the meaning it has to gaming.

10. Super Mario Advance 4 – Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA): Mario 3 is good but the remake makes it great.

11. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS): Not a great game, but still decent fun if there’s nothing else to play.

12. Super Mario Advance (GBA)– Super Mario Bros 2. (GBA): Makes Super Mario Bros. 2 fun but the game still isn’t the best by far.

12. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS): This is where the repetetiveness of the NSMB series began. Mindless, unoriginal, and sometimes fun.

13. Super Mario World (SNES): Would be higher on my list I’m sure if I played more.

14. Super Mario Advance 3 – Yoshi’s Island (GBA): ^

14. New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U): The worst of the NSMB series (barring Luigi U).

Haven’t Played (ranked by how much I want to play them):

1. Super Mario Land 2 (GB: Looks interesting but not currently enough for me to go buy and play it.

2. Super Mario All-Stars (SNES): Don’t have much interest in this one at all.

3. Super Mario Bros. 2 The Lost Levels (NES): The horror stories I’ve heard about this game don’t make me want to play it. Gone are the days where I want to play old, difficult games.

Yoshi's Island is a great game, but I am always puzzled as to why people include it in these lists. You don't even play as Mario. Sure, baby Mario is riding on Yoshi. But it is Yoshi you are controlling. Therefore it is not a Mario platformer. It's a Yoshi platformer.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Yoshi's Island is a great game, but I am always puzzled as to why people include it in these lists. You don't even play as Mario. Sure, baby Mario is riding on Yoshi. But it is Yoshi you are controlling. Therefore it is not a Mario platformer. It's a Yoshi platformer.
i mean it was initially called "super mario world 2",but yeah,it definitely started its own series

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario 3D World
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. New Super Mario Bros. U
9. New Super Mario Bros.
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
12. Super Mario Land