• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Presence of the Sages in Skyward Sword

Anemos

Master of Chaos
It is quite possible that the ancient sages will make their appearance in Skyward Sword.

According to some sources, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword. It was also said that the Master Sword was "crafted by the wisdom of the sages to fight evil" (searching for exact citation, to be placed here soon).

So, it is possible that, if this game does tell about the origins of the Master Sword, the sages will make their appearance in Skyward Sword.

What will they be? Will Link be one of them? Will they live in Skyloft?

Only time will tell, as Nintendo has given us a stupid 2011 release date.

C

chevysrule70

you know since kapeora gabeora (the owl) is an ancient sage he will be in this game cause this game will come before oot cause it is supposed to show the origin of the master sword

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
LttP SNES Manual (Literal Japanese Translation) said:
However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce.
For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.
It was called the Master Sword, and it is said that only a true hero could use it.
I also can't find the one saying it was the Sages. I thought it was in OoT.

For now, I still think the Sages are from Hyrule, just because I can't see any real reason to think otherwise. I certainly don't think that Link will be one. Aonuma said he was an ordinary boy.
I think Link will have to gather them so they can pray for the Light Spirits to lend their power to transform the SS into the MS so Link can drive away the evil forces, as told in Lanayru's story.

F

Fierce_Midna333

Maybe, as chevysrule70 said, we may see kapeora gabeora. Was he always an owl as a sage, or did he have a different form and he later took the shape of an owl? Will we get to hear that story? Thoughts?

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I wrote up a post and then realized this was similar. I am going to post my speculation here, which will overlap some with what has already been said. So if you think, "I already said that" - yes, you did. Think of mine as an essay where I had to list my sources.

*spoilers for Sage/Master Sword related points in SS interviews and the TP, OoT, AlttP and WW games*

I was reading up on sages last night when I ran across this quote. Zelda tells it to you in Twilight Princess.

"There you will find the blade of evil's bane that was crafted by the wisdom of the ancient sages...the Master Sword."

We know from an interview that "The Skyward Sword will become the Master Sword." Barring a little misdirect (perhaps it's an obvious predecessor but the transformation doesn't happen in-game), if the series stays true to its own lore then it's a fair guess that sages will be part of the story somehow. Which brings to mind several questions.

How likely is it that they will appear? The TP quote says "crafted by the wisdom", which seems fairly explicit about their being the creators, but that could still mean that the spirit of the sword is blessed by the sages but they're in the background.

If they are in it, how big a role will they play? Will they have to be reawoken like in Ocarina of Time or become allies like in Wind Waker? And will we see any familiar names? Kaepora Gaebora is said to be the reincarnation of an ancient sage - perhaps we'll see his origin. Depending on how much time passes between games, though, there could be several generations of "ancient" sages, from different eras, and KG may not be from SS's time. Rauru also calls himself an "ancient sage", which could mean he is a survivor from a previous generation, or it could just be ambiguous wording.

My thoughts: I can easily see sages fitting into the setting. The farther in time you move from the origin of a legend, there will be more distortion from the actual story and less believers in it. But SS takes place early in Zelda lore, so not only would they be a natural part of it - they might not even be a legend in SS's era. They may simply be a reality to people of that time.

If they are a part of the story, I think part of Link's journey will be to find them, though not necessarily reawaken them. They'd probably live in the far ends of Skyloft, with Link having to travel to Hyrule and use certain 'warp points' (for lack of a better word - I know the SS will be his travel mechanism) to gain access to those sections of Skyloft. Perhaps they are trapped in those sections, or perhaps they are so far removed from others that they don't realize what's going on in other parts of the world and Link is the messenger.

The reason I see Link finding them is because I see two ways for the Master's Sword to become "the blade of Evil's bane." One is for it to be given as a gift from a deity, which means that it was sacred to begin with. Though the AlttP manual clearly says that humans made the sword. So the other option is for it to be an earthly relic that was purified. If it's the latter, which it seems to be, the ancient sages would fit perfectly for that role, similar to how the sword was powered up in Wind Waker.

Their fitting into the story doesn't mean they will be in the story, of course - these are just my thoughts on how they could. Resurrecting this topic in hopes that other people have more thoughts. :)

Last edited:

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Like I have said several times already, for some strange reason, I just get the feeling that SS will have the OoT feel and I think Sages will be in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom