• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Post Apocalyptic Theory Really Not That Far-Fetched

A while ago I saw a thread here talking about a post apocalyptic theory, but it got shot down really quickly. But it's really not that far-fetched, SS pretty much confirmed it in my opinion. How does an ocean turn into a desert!? Something bad happened there, apocalyptic events? And what about all the random futuristic technology (hookshot) here and there we find in Hyrule? I'm not trying to say all the magic in Hyrule was actually just science, if you want to compare this theory to something you could compare it to Adventure Time, I'm not a big fan of Adventure Time so I don't really know all the facts, but I think all the magic appeared in the world after the apocalypse, somehow, and maybe something similar happened in Hyrule. Also, I'm sure I read in some interview somewhere that said something like "People just think LoZ takes place in medieval times". What if LoZ actually takes place on Earth a million years into the future (or a planet like Earth in a different galaxy) in a post apocalyptic world, where people now use magic instead of science, and the "ancient technology" is stuff people like us built?

To follow up on your statement regarding Adventure Time, I am a fan of the show and the show takes place years after The Great Mushroom War (basically nuclear apocalypse) and the magic returns to the world and its inhabitants. Just in case anybody was wondering.

In the case of Zelda though, I think it's less about "these contraptions are futuristic and clearly don't fit in this medieval setting" and more about "this is Zelda medieval setting" which doesn't always seem to make sense. IN the case of such "futuristic" contraptions, I just think its part of the high fantasy aspect of Zelda, where certain mechanical devices are present.

Regarding the ocean turning into the Sand Sea, I think it's just after years and years. There are real world examples of areas that were once covered in ocean and now are deserts. Just to point out that a change in climate isn't always the result of a man-made or "apocalyptic" disaster.

Just my 2 cents.

Regarding the ocean turning into the Sand Sea, I think it's just after years and years. There are real world examples of areas that were once covered in ocean and now are deserts. Just to point out that a change in climate isn't always the result of a man-made or "apocalyptic" disaster.

Yeah, but that would take years and years and years. I don't think Link was going that far back in time.

You-Know-Who

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
In hiding... waiting to kill Harry Potter....
Well, let me point out that magic is just science that is unexplained.

Zelda seems to be devolutinizing. Instead of getting better technology, they seem to be crawling backwards in time. Before SS, there were robots roaming the Earth. In AoL, the villagers seem to be normal natives, carrying pots and walking on they're own feet. The child timeline seems to be going slower, but its still going. I think that the Adult Timeline is the only one moving foward, or at least staying put. Is as if almost being drowned by a huge wave of water made a difference. It all could be due to the (SPOILER!!) Apocalypse that Demise brought in and the curse he set on Zelda and Link.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Well, let me point out that magic is just science that is unexplained.

Zelda seems to be devolutinizing. Instead of getting better technology, they seem to be crawling backwards in time. Before SS, there were robots roaming the Earth. In AoL, the villagers seem to be normal natives, carrying pots and walking on they're own feet. The child timeline seems to be going slower, but its still going. I think that the Adult Timeline is the only one moving foward, or at least staying put. Is as if almost being drowned by a huge wave of water made a difference. It all could be due to the (SPOILER!!) Apocalypse that Demise brought in and the curse he set on Zelda and Link.

No, magic in a fantasy setting is magic, no more no less

But yes, except in the AT, Hyrule tends to decrease the technology levels

And I will point out that Nayru created both magic and science. So why can't they work together? Also I thought that, that was very apparent I mean the story of hyrule before the war with Demise is very clearly painted in SS it shows in the architecture in each area as the go from the stone age in Faron woods to Bronze and Iron in Eldin and modern then post-apocaliptic in Lanayru. The ruins in the thundercloud seem to be between the iron and modern era. So it's probably a safe guess that that is when the skirmishes began breaking out between Demise and the tribes of the surface. This is probably why new forms of defence was created and what brought the tribes into the modern age of Pre-hyrule. Then after years of this fighting and after only a few humans were left in an effort to save them Hylia launched them into the sky. And defeated Demise.

Last edited:
There was a canonically questionable source (I believe it was the NoA website) which claimed that the desert formed due to misuse of resources.
^ Let's not ignore this, people. :P

This issue falls under a lot of other Zelda theories, in that you can claim a disaster ruined Lanayru Province (which... was never an ocean by the way), but there's no evidence of that. A LOT of things can turn a region into a desert, and it's happened before in history without disasters. To boot, as Locke said, there is a statement about it, though how canonical it is, we don't know.

The same applies to the broader idea of the Zelda series taking place in a "post-apocalyptic" world. The idea of advanced societies disappearing for one reason or another (disaster is not the only reason for this) and being replaced by a medieval or pseudo medieval one is highly common, and Skyward Sword does prove it to a degree; we know an advanced society used to exist in Lanayru Province and possibly all of the Surface, pre-Hyrule. We also have confirmations about societies predating that according to Nintendo, if I recall. So there is a history there. There is no reason to think this is the source of all the technology in later Zelda games though. That stuff is just throwing technology in for style.

Nor is it really a reason to look at the entire world as post-apocalyptic, and I'm pretty sure calling it that is a misnomer, at least in terms of connotation, because nothing about Hyrule or the Zelda world in general indicates the world or society is recovering in the wake of an apocalypse; it's already finished recovering. It's just a new world.

(PS: It's fascinating how Adventure Time takes place after an apocalypse. Very strange setting for a cartoon like that. xP )

The hookshot isnt that futuristic imo, it's just a spring loaded...thing. It's not a laser gun.
The Hookshot could not reasonably be called "futuristic", as it blatantly LOOKS primitive and that is the point. However it does need to be said that it is impossible to actually make a Hookshot right now. That does not exist.

And I will point out that Nayru created both magic and science. So why can't they work together?
What? Nayru is stated to have given "the spirit of law" to the world, and in other sources it clarifies this to be effectively the laws of physics. What do you mean she created magic and science? Simply that she created the laws that govern how the world works?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I find this an extremely intriguing theory. I only recently found out about the Land of Ooo in Adventure Time taking place in a post-apocalyptic world and my mind was blown. This theory may serve to explain many things in the series, though not all of them.

There are certain things that are strictly magical. The spells given by the Great Fairies, the spells learned in AoL, and other various magical tools are just that, magic. No need to try and shove them into a preconceived notion of highly advanced technology.

Other things, not so much. I find it difficult to believe that various mechanical contraptions found in the games are anything but highly advanced technology left over from the old world. The hookshot being chief among them, nothing in their world would seem to suggest that the people living in the otherwise medieval worlds could construct such a device. The Dominion Rod is another one; while it is described as being magical, and by all rights it may very well be, the way in which it operates and the fact that it can lost its power seem to suggest a technological origin instead. Others include the Bombchus, the entirety of the Tower of the Gods, the Gust Bellows ad by extension the Gust Jar, and quite a bit of things that happen in SS. Similarly, the designs of many of the dungeons and other ancient buildings betray that highly advanced cultures well-versed in technology built them.

I had been suspecting for quite some time that many of the things that occur in the Zelda games have highly technological origins, and SS proved that to me. Their entire culture before Demise came and destroyed everything was very advanced. The series as a whole has a very strange development of technology. They start out highly advanced, become ruined as a result of Demise's actions, is rebuilt up as a result of Link and Zelda's colonization of the surface world, then splits off into three different timelines. The child timeline follows through on this advancement, and by the time TP rolls around they've gotten a lot closer to where they originally were. The adult timeline is hit by another apocalypse, then rebuilds to the point where trains are a common occurrence, placing them equivalently with the Industrial Revolution. The downfall timeline, however, faces a continual degrading of culture and technology until the world population is reduced to a scant few villages and randomly-populated caves. Very interesting indeed.

Furthermore, there are theories that state that the Triforce itself may be a sort of fusion between magic and technology. It has extremely magical powers, no doubt, but the way that it operates and chooses its master seems to suggest highly technological means as well. It could be that the magical powers are an attribute of the Triforce itself, or it may be that bringing the pieces together somehow activates a subroutine that contacts the goddesses in the distant nebula and allows the one who touches it to make their wish known to the goddesses, who then grant it.

MsNerrrrd

Demyx stole my cookies
Since this is mostly about people quoting each other, and commenting as well, I'll give my own opinion about the Lanayru (Sea? Most likely during that time) Desert turned into a desert. It must have been a misuse of resources, but there must have been an apocalyptic chatastrophe occuring as well.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
No, magic in a fantasy setting is magic, no more no less

But yes, except in the AT, Hyrule tends to decrease the technology levels

In an actualistic setting, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Quote from Arthur C Clarke.

PS: From an outside perspective the apocalypse theory (which I feel to be at least mildly true) tuns the whole timeline into a "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" wad of... stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom