• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Playing As the Opposite Gender in Video Games

Playing as the Opposite Gender in Video Games

• For

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

• Against

• Total voters

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
If I have to play a game without changing the without changing characters, I will choose a male. But in games where I can switch at any time, (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)I will play as a female sometimes.

Mute

一員
I see no problem with it at all. Then again, I'm a guy who rarely plays as anything but females, sometimes because they wind up getting the best looking outfits, other times because I prefer the female character over the male, and other times just because I have the option for it. But mostly because I like how females look over how males do.

Of course, there's a few times I'll actually pick genders based on stats, depending on the game and what I'm going for, but that's rare, but it's one of the few times I wind up with a male outside of being forced to.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. In games like Soul Calibur, sometimes the female gender is just better, depending on your style. I never did understand why people would be upset at the protagonist being a female. To me, the only difference between male and female (video-game wise...) is the appearence and voice. Perhaps personallity, for I have found that girls are more generous and cool-headed then men, but that's only with a few girls. In my opinion, I really couldn't care less. The last thing I look at in a video game is the character gender. I mean, if you were a female and you didn't like playing as the opposite gender, you would miss out on the whole Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong (except 64), and so much more. Especially considering that most video game characters are male.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Unless you're doing it for... entertainment, for lack of a better word, I have no problems. Some games require you to play again as a different character (Whom is often female) to get the full story, more power-ups, collectibles, an alternate ending, etc. In Brawl Zelda and Samus are some of my best fighters.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I am FOR it. I'll bet most of the girls on here have played Link. It's just a character. And I am not really focusing on the game characters gender just more the the personality type of character itself. Like it might be awkward for a guy to play Princess Peach, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I voted "Meh". This is a topic? Really?

It doesn't even matter what characters people play as. Most single player games don't give you a character choice; they're just telling a story with the character they've created. There's no significance in someone of the same or of opposite gender playing these games. It's just... nothing. I suppose you could say there's more to it in multiplayer games or any game with a selection, but even then there are a ton of reasons for what characters you pick. Characters who play in a way you like? Character that interest you AS characters? There's nothing important about this. I'm shocked this is even a topic of discussion.

The only time it even makes sense to find it weird is if someone is, I dunno, picking only female characters because they think they're hot. I've seen that happen, and frankly even that is worth a meh. It's nothing new, so it shouldn't be surprising or significant even if it is odd.

I personally don't play female characters too often. I don't play a TON of single-player games with female main characters, although I have nothing against the idea. I love Metroid after all. But in games with a selection, I usually go for either the monsters, really hardcore bad-***es, or freaky/insane characters. None of these three traits is often applied to female characters. I do however like a bunch of the female characters in Guilty Gears, though, but everyone is freaky and nuts in that game. XP

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
My opinion: Meh. To me, it doesn't really matter. It's all the same, whether it is male, female, alien, whatever. However, I do find myself playing as more male characters, but I think that is just because there are more of them.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I don't often, but I don't really care. I usually play as a girl (which I am; hope you can tell by my avatar & title!), though. I don't see anything wrong with it.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I've never really cared all too much, but I guess it sort of depends on the game.
If you're playing Brawl or something, go with who you're best at. It's fine.

If you're playing a game where the gender of the character has no advantage/disadvantage like Pokemon, it might be a little weird, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom