• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Pegasus Boots -- How Did YOU Figure Out How to Get Them? *possible Spoilers*

So I was trying to complete everything I could in Hyrule before moving on to the Lorule dungeons. I also was hoping to beat it on my own without any help (not reading spoilers, etc).

I deduced that something like Pegasus Boots must exist from comments made by the racing game brothers, from the fact that the second stage of racing game did not seem possible (no matter what route I tried) without some sort of boost in speed, and from all the Maimais on top of trees, etc, where it seemed the object would need to be run into in order for the Maimai to fall.

I went around the entire Hyrule map *twice*, going in every building, cave, etc, cutting down every bush, etc, but still nothing. I figured either I was totally missing something or it would show up later in the game (or I needed something to get under the big rocks, Titan's Mitt I am assuming).

I caved in and looked it up online, and who knew that I should have talked with the boy *twice* to figure out the tip to talk with the thief and that *that* is how I would get the boots.

Great puzzle, but how did anyone else figure this out? Just happened to try talking to the thief from the wall? Somehow knew to talk with the boy twice?

Congrats to all who figured it out on their own!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
When I first encountered the Thief I could tell that it was some sort of side quest that may just have a decent reward at the end. Luckily enough my curiosity to explore paid off as I found the Zoras and then I put two and two together and realised that it must have been the Thief who stole said item.

When I returned I noticed that the Thief was incredibly quick and due to being unable to complete the second race I sort of knew that the Pegassus Boots would be obtainable. Anyway--about figuring out how to catch him/talk to him--I thought that was quite simple to be honest. I try and experiment with the wall mechanic a lot since it leads to reward a lot of the time.

Finding the Pegassus Boots early certainly gave me an advantage in some situations ;p

When I was looking for Maiamais, I noticed some that required the Pegasus Boots to get. So I started wandering around Kakariko to find hints as to their whereabouts, and I found the thief guy. I approached him, and he ran off. Then I tried to catch him every way I could, until I realized that I needed to merge into the wall behind him. I found them by complete accident.

Night Owl

~Momentai
When I was trying to get the flippers and needed to get the smooth stone, I recognized the guy that crashed into me.
After returning to town I was determined to catch the guy and make him give it back. After I caught the guy, he gave me the boots much to my surprise.

I followed the thief back to Kakariko and bought the smooth stone from the vendor. I kept seeing the thief, but he always ran off when I approached. So I figured I'd get an item that would let me catch him later in the game. It wasn't until I completed ALL of the Lorule dungeons and was ready for Lorule Castle that I finally decided the boots weren't just going to show up. By that point I had entirely forgotten about the thief and had to look online to see how to get them.

Admittedly, it should have been pretty obvious in retrospect. I think the problem is that at that early point in the game players aren't instinctively using the merge ability instinctively like they become accustomed to doing later on. For me I saw the thief and came at it in a Link to the Past state-of-mind. That game makes you wait very long periods to finally be able to solve nagging puzzles. This game does not.

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
I seen an article on a gaming site that was titled "3 Tips To Know Before Playing ALBW" and 1 of the tips was to get those boots early and how to get them, so yeah i wasn't looking for spoilers but that 1 sorta fell into my lap haha

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Unfortunately, I didn't get them until way late in the game. I kept seeing Maimais up on trees and whatnot, and with that foot-race, and the hype before the game where there was footage of the Pegasus Boots, so I knew they were in the game. Considering how early you get them in A Link to the Past, I was shocked at having completed four or five Lorule dungeons with no Pegasus Boots on my feet. When I finally talked to that kid near the shady guy, I honestly felt silly. Merge with the wall and bam. I went on a journey afterwards where I could finally get all the Maimais I couldn't do anything about before, must have been more than 10 at that point. :P

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
I noticed that some of the maiamai's required the pegasus boots to get them. and I got the Groucho Marx's glasses from the fortune teller and used the hint ghost to help me. I'm dumb when it comes to some things.

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
Let's see.... it was my first run through the game, I was just about to do the Icy Ruins (My last dungeon before Lorule castle), and I had realized I had to be missing something because I had heard about item upgrades like halfway through the game. SO I did what I told myself I would never do with a Zelda game my first time through.... I looked it up. That's when I learned about the Maimai, felt like an idiot, and then slashed at the tree in the area near the first freaking dungeon for half an hour before I realized it was never going to work. I then decided to look it up again and realized I still didn't have the Pegasus boots. That's when I went and got them........

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Glad to say I haven't needed to look up anything online so far (I did need the Groucho Marx glasses once in the Dark Palace for that boarded-up window - I donked out for a moment and forgot you could throw bombs!) but the Pegasus Boots took a long time for me to figure out how to get.

This being a semi-remake of A Link to the Past, I instinctively knew you'd get the Boots. Shocking when I didn't get them right after the first dungeon, though. I knew it had something to do with the thief, seeming as how he always ran faster than me. I also picked up from several minigames that I should have had the boots by the time I got to them. But for some reason I thought it was found somewhere else in the game and THEN they were used to catch the thief. So I searched Hy and Lo for them (even Lorule's Death Mountain!) before I came back to the thief. I tried everything I could to catch him. In frustration I popped up behind him just to screw with him, and THEN he gave me the boots!

I felt like an idiot afterwards.

Gomp

Love, loving life!
So I was trying to complete everything I could in Hyrule before moving on to the Lorule dungeons. I also was hoping to beat it on my own without any help (not reading spoilers, etc).

I deduced that something like Pegasus Boots must exist from comments made by the racing game brothers, from the fact that the second stage of racing game did not seem possible (no matter what route I tried) without some sort of boost in speed, and from all the Maimais on top of trees, etc, where it seemed the object would need to be run into in order for the Maimai to fall.

I went around the entire Hyrule map *twice*, going in every building, cave, etc, cutting down every bush, etc, but still nothing. I figured either I was totally missing something or it would show up later in the game (or I needed something to get under the big rocks, Titan's Mitt I am assuming).

I caved in and looked it up online, and who knew that I should have talked with the boy *twice* to figure out the tip to talk with the thief and that *that* is how I would get the boots.

Great puzzle, but how did anyone else figure this out? Just happened to try talking to the thief from the wall? Somehow knew to talk with the boy twice?

Congrats to all who figured it out on their own!

I made a post about it here..

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46640

Glad to say I haven't needed to look up anything online so far (I did need the Groucho Marx glasses once in the Dark Palace for that boarded-up window - I donked out for a moment and forgot you could throw bombs!) but the Pegasus Boots took a long time for me to figure out how to get.

This being a semi-remake of A Link to the Past, I instinctively knew you'd get the Boots. Shocking when I didn't get them right after the first dungeon, though. I knew it had something to do with the thief, seeming as how he always ran faster than me. I also picked up from several minigames that I should have had the boots by the time I got to them. But for some reason I thought it was found somewhere else in the game and THEN they were used to catch the thief. So I searched Hy and Lo for them (even Lorule's Death Mountain!) before I came back to the thief. I tried everything I could to catch him. In frustration I popped up behind him just to screw with him, and THEN he gave me the boots!

I felt like an idiot afterwards.

Ditto on the feeling! .. I assumed I would need the boots to catch him, so I just ignored him, looking high and low for the boots. (Pun intended.)

Nayru Jikan

Oracle
Well, I wasn't sure if the boots were in the game actually. I was busy trying to catch the thief from the Zora's Domain dungeon. Every time I tried to run up to him regardless of direction, he'd bolt like the hounds of Hell were after him. Eventually I got fed up and decided to try to sneak up on him. Maybe it would trigger a scene where he got arrested by the patrolling soldiers. Nope.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I didn't receive the Pegasus Boots until after beating my Second Lorule dungeon. I talked to the Fortune Teller in Lorule who told me to chat with his Hyrule north of Kakariko equivalent to receive the Hint Glasses. When I entered the village, I saw the Shady Guy instantly ran away when I approached him. So I thought merging was involved and I pounced on him to get the damn boots! They certainly would have made travel a lot easier had i acquired them earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom