• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Past or New Equipment

Over the years, Link have been gaining more and more equimpment with a bunch of new ones too. Aside from recurring items like the bomb or arrow, do you like the idea to make new equpment or did you like most of the items from older games and place it a new game?

nice post, even if Zelda underwent a massive reboot the arrows and bombs etc would remain, they are as much Zelda as Link and Zelda herself.

New items like the beetle in SS and the Ball and chain in TP were wonderful new items, its always good for Zelda games to bring in new items to help refresh the experience of each installment, it'd be nice in the future though if items had more than one use, i wouldnt be adversed to seeing less items in Zelda either, much like WW which had very few items but in turn this helped me feel more connected with my items and i ended up using them out in the field when they weren't needed and having so few yet such wonderful items like the deku leaf i never overlooked the chance to use all the items i had in order to try and figure out puzzles, unlike other games like TP when we had so many items that some of them went over looked.

So yeah, new yet less items would be nice =]

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
One of my main dislikes of Phantom Hourglass is that fact it added no new items. Staple items, such as the Bow, Bombs and Boomerang, I would like to frequently return, but a game must add some new items, or it may get boring.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
If a game doesnt have new items it isnt new is it? And if its not new nobody will by it, and if nobody will by it Zelda will die, if Zelda dies Zelda Dungeon will die, if Zelda Dungeon dies this forum will die, there you go.

Mido

Version 1
The addition of new items always adds an extra unique part to each zelda game they are featured in. The zelda series learns new tricks all the time accompanying the old ones. A mix of both in my eyes always keeps Zelda a great series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
More often than not the new items are gimmicky as hell. At least, that's how they've been in recent installments. I prefer older items but to see them rehashed and rehashed wouldn't do many people justice. So, a blend of old and new is the way to go :yes:

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I can't really choose. The newer equipment is useful in different ways and so are the older. I'd say that a mix of new and old would be good.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I wouldn't mind new equipment at all. Although old equipment works very well, it's nice to have some new additions. I just don't like it when they create new items specifically for one dungeon, and then it becomes worthless for the rest of the game. Kind of like the Gustbellows from Skyward Sword, or the Slingshot from Ocarina of Time. Skyward Sword also did fairly well with it's old items returning, and new items appearing. Both old and new items can work very well, but I'd like to see more new than old.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Both. Items like the Beetle are perfect examples of why new items in Zelda (when executed properly) are a great idea (and that they should become staples). Recurring items, such as the Hookshot/Clawshot(s), are just amazing and should always remain.

Both. I've always been a fan of new items in a Zelda game, which is why I think items such as the whip, the beetle, and the gust bellows were great additions to the series. Each of them helped introduce innovative puzzles, as well provide new and interesting ways to solve them. They are also responsible for a lot of the series' innovative gameplay mechanics that involve proper timing and accuracy, as seen in SS [with the Beetle].

Conversely... It goes without saying that I'll always be a fan of the series' past equipment. I think it's neat that Nintendo continues to put a new spin on it that accentuates any new puzzle elements that each game has to offer. For example, its most recent usage, the boomerang has gained a plethora of new applications in both puzzle-solving and combat. It has been given the ability to hit multiple targets all at once (WW), and the ability hover in place for an extended period of time (FSA). With both of said uses came different applications that added a new dimension to an item that would otherwise be considered obsolete.

Although I admit that nostalgia comes into play as a major factor as well. [noparse];)[/noparse]

At any rate, I think it is important that fans realize that with new puzzle and combat elements come new items and equipment. They go hand and hand. The day Nintendo stops introducing new equipment - or at the very least, putting a new spin on the old - is the day it stops introducing new, innovative puzzle elements and combat to the series. In other words, the end of Zelda series as we know it...

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
I agree, they should make a puzzle element that inolves somthing else, mabie a cheese puzzle like your battling gannon your king, zelda is queen the annoying side charectors are the others, epponas the horse
gannondorf is the queen and gannon is the king (the big minaur gannon last boss in OoT) and his minions are the others and when you get to where a enemy is you battle it to see who wins, and you could make that 2 player :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom