• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Other Option for Sailcloth

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Do you think it would have been a good idea to ave the sailcloth also have a gliding ability like the Deku Leaf did?

I think this would have been good. It would have added a new variety of puzzles to the game and, in some instances, could have added a certain level of difficulty.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do think having the Sailcloth available for gliding WHEN YOU WANT TO would be a great idea. In the Skyward Sword Dungeon demo, for instance, there is this room in Skyview Temple where I would absolutely love to just glide. Instead, I plop to the ground if the automatic sailcloth function doesn't activate (and it does, without fail, every time). Being able to glide would just be another nod to a previous Zelda game, but who knows? It might actually provide some use to the Cloth outside of using the Wind Geysers. :D

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
That would have been a neat idea. Either way I enjoyed the Sailcloth, though adding a gliding ability would've made it just a tad more awesome.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
The Sailcloth was a decent item overall and got a lot of use throughout the game, but it would have been cooler to use it to glide over gaps like the Deku Leaf in WW.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Sounds like they could have done something with that, yeah, but it wasn't that amazing of an element IMO.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
I really dont see how a gliding option would work with the sail cloth as a hypothetical scenario... I mean it was basically designed to be a parachute and you cant very well glide with a parchute BUT along those lines, it would have been kinda cool to use your claw shot to parasail off the back of the ship with Skipper thru the sand sea. I dont know what it would accomplish but I bet someone could have come up with something clever.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Actually, now that I think about it, this feature would have undermined the sky-diving mechanics, so yeah, I'm glad it didn't happen.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I think the Sailclothe would've been better story wise and gameplay wise had it been Roc's Cape. With a three dimensional area, Roc's Cape could give you the soft landing effect that the Sailclothe gave you, plus allow you the gliding ability people are looking for. (Not to mention... jumping!) Roc's Cape would have the magic required to do whatever you wanted it to and I mean that in a non overpowered way. It could still be made by Zelda to have the emotional meaning that was presented with the Sailclothe, but all it would take is a quick blessing from "Hylia" or some other kind of magic entity to mess with it to give it the magic it required. We'd also get to see the origin of another item of the series. Considering Minish Cap comes second in the timeline, this would've worked out well.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I certainly would have enjoyed seeing a gliding ability incorporated with the sailcloth however that is no more than a far-fetched pipe dream. A gliding ability implies the use of supernatural magic which recent installment like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword have shied away from. Skyward Sword especially emphasized a more physical side to combat with its precise Wii Motion+ controls.

For a seemingly minor item the sailcloth played a significant role in the story. It was among the first subtle remarks of the delicate world balance and the hero-Link-who would need to rise up in order to purge evil from the land below. The thrill and frustration of using the tool for the first time is one of my fondest moments from Skyward Sword. SS may not be my favorite Zelda game but it handled its items very well-from introduction, to usage, to upgrades.

I thought the sailcloth was going to be the Skyward version of the Deku Leaf. I tried to glide with it and just went straight down. I didn't like that. No magic meter no extra fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom