• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

NX Discussion and Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
http://www.gamesradar.com/stalling-the-nx-to-2017-and-skipping-e3-is-the-smartest-thing-nintendo-has-done-in-years/?utm_content=buffer402ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-nintendomag@

This is quite a good read about the NX and how not doing any kind of showing at E3 this year is actually a good thing. One of the better opinion articles out there on the NX being released March 2017.
I agree that it's good, probably for the better that Nintendo takes things on their own terms. However, I am deeply saddened that the only thing we will get that is of any worth at E3 will be Zelda, a game releasing in 2017. But oh well.

You know.... Hopefully, they can bring back Nintendo Spaceworld, and make it into a worldwide event to show off the NX and its games.

Nintendo fans aren't going to have much at all to look forward to in 2016, besides Pokemon of course. There is where the problem lies.

http://www.gamesradar.com/stalling-the-nx-to-2017-and-skipping-e3-is-the-smartest-thing-nintendo-has-done-in-years/?utm_content=buffer402ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-nintendomag@

This is quite a good read about the NX and how not doing any kind of showing at E3 this year is actually a good thing. One of the better opinion articles out there on the NX being released March 2017.

I agree this is good, especially since...as I repeatedly remind folks...we don't even know what the NX really is yet.

Let Nintendo show it on their own terms. Part of me wonders if they'll keep it a secret right until they're nearly ready to launch, like they do with so many games lately.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

I don't disagree with the article, especially in the double standard shown by the industry to Sony & Microsoft and then Nintendo. It's as if not only the consumer thinks it's cool to hate on Nintendo, but the industry does as well.

In the end, however, I think it's extremely smart for Nintendo to not launch the NX until it has something to launch with. Though I disagree that the NX will turn the "industry on its head" like the Gamesradar author believes, at least launching with games will mean the NX won't have the same issues as the Wii U from launch.

I agree with you both @Lozjam and @CrimsonCavalier . My question is why Nintendo chose this exact quarterly conference call to announce the NX dates. The next one in 4 months would have been fine. The 3rd parties making NX games would already know this, so why announce it now? The only reason I can think of is E3. Even if Nintendo is not talking much NX at E3 this year, maybe Nintendo wanted everyone to know this before NX so there was less NX questions asked there that Nintendo obiously can not or will not answer at this point in time.

Also I think E3 as a thing is becommnig less and less relevant in the industry. Back in the day Macworld was a thing. Basically an E3 for everything Apple. Apple eventually hated the fact that having such a public event forced them to rush content like OS releases and hardware to have soemthing at elast demoable for Macworld. So Apple pulled out of Macworld and Macworld as an event died a few years later. The whole point is Apple wanted to announce release things on their own schedule, not when the events demanded them to. E3 has a similar issue going for it. Why rush a project jsut so you can delo it at E3? Sure E3 gives your project a lot of exposure but is that worth the very high cost of operating a stall at E3? If you getting your information out there already, and E3 is only a supplemental thing as it is for Nintendo, then scaling back their E3 dealings might not be such a bad thing at all. Nintendo could even hire out a small hall and do a live direct with a few members fo the press there and also a few demo machines. Might cost the same (or even less) then being at E3, you'd get the same press exposure, and Nintendo could then announce and release things at their own pace. Also Nintendo could choose their own location for these live directs. Not being stuck with whatever location NX is.

E3 is good for what it does do. But it just might not be the best thing for many developers anymore.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimis...proper-lineup-not-just-a-wii-u-3ds-successor/

Okay, now THIS is a good sign.
Kimishima is not releasing in NX in 2016 because he wanted to make sure games released with the system.

This is insanely smart of him, and it really does show that Nintendo is indeed learning of the failures of the Wii U.
We don't know if this is the 3rd parties saying they need more time or Nintendo realising their WiiU launch mistakes and actually having good 1st party games fo rhte NX launch. Either way this is a very good thing to hear. Probably one of the best things said in the whole quartly conference.

Reactions: Dan

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I agree this is good, especially since...as I repeatedly remind folks...we don't even know what the NX really is yet.

Let Nintendo show it on their own terms. Part of me wonders if they'll keep it a secret right until they're nearly ready to launch, like they do with so many games lately.

I do wonder if part of the reason Nintendo has been so secretive about the NX is because the hardware does something that's never been done before. Remember the Wii? Nintendo didn't show off the motion controls when it first unveiled the box because they didn't want competition stealing the idea. Now Nintendo may have done something similarly unique with the NX console itself.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Kimishima recently talked about the NX, in that why it was delayed to 2017, and how he thinks that is going to go down. Well here is what he is planning to do regarding NX
Kimishima said:
Having a full software lineup when the hardware launches is one reason for the NX launch timing. Also, we must be in a state to release titles not just at launch, but continually afterwards. We are planning for it to be a platform that will be played for a long time.

So what this means is that unlike the Wii U, NX is going to have lots of great games for it. Which is a fantastic thing.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Constant stream or not, I dont trust Nintendo anymore.

I'm gonna review the nx at the end of its run and decide if its worth buying one.
For me it really depends on what the game launches with and what's in the current pipeline. I still have trust with Nintendo, due to the ever more so amazing 3DS. I admit the Wii U was a step in the wrong direction, but so long as they make up for that with an amazing launch, I very well may get NX close to launch.

Kimishima recently talked about the NX, in that why it was delayed to 2017, and how he thinks that is going to go down. Well here is what he is planning to do regarding NX

So what this means is that unlike the Wii U, NX is going to have lots of great games for it. Which is a fantastic thing.
What do you think about consolidating all of the new NX rumours into one topic to talk about them all? All of the info you post up . . . it's nice that you post it all so quickly. I'd do it but you beat me to the punch half the time, that's cool though. But having a new topic for every little rumour? What do you think about one place for all of the rumours? It could even be a stickied topic maybe.

You can't say the WiiU had no games at launch. The WiiU had a decent number of games at launch. The issue is more what was available at launch. Mostly ports from the 3rd parties and nothing console selling worthy from Nintendo. The only really good game was Zombi U. As good as that was, it's not a console selling game. The NX needs console selling games at launch.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
For me it really depends on what the game launches with and what's in the current pipeline. I still have trust with Nintendo, due to the ever more so amazing 3DS. I admit the Wii U was a step in the wrong direction, but so long as they make up for that with an amazing launch, I very well may get NX close to launch.
The Wii U itself wasn't that bad of a console. Its main problems had nothing to do with the system itself. And more so had to do with the things Nintendo did. Their actions with the Wii, their attitude towards third parties, choosing to use the Wii brand again, and absolutely horrible marketing.

I am not confident at all that the NX will be successful. But stating that they plan for it to be played for a long time is somewhat reassuring. I hope it does succeed despite the odds. I probably will end up preordering it since I have a long time to prepare enough money for it.

I think I can look upon the wiiU being dead now, I bought mine for Wind Waker hd, had that game not released I still wouldn't own a wiiU.

Looking at my gaming library (full of the biggest titles) I couldn't recommend a wiiU as an investment (much better than what the wii offered though).

The nx wont have Wind Waker hd, so theres no reason for me to rush and buy one. Two generations now Nintendo has put out titles that aren't as stellar as their IPs would suggest. I dont want that happening with the nx, nor do I want to invest in another console that'll barely have 4 years of life in it.

True, Nintendo said they want the nx to be played for a long time, but Nintendo aren't popular in the west or to the age brackets that matter, so the nx, regardless of power or third party support, will probably be looked on as a failure 18months on and Nintendo will then focus on yet another hardware flip for titles that never were.

I'm not going through that again. The nx will be gasping for breath before/if I get one. I can do without two year delays on top of four year waits for titles.

I think I can look upon the wiiU being dead now
Yep. As soon as you announce the release timeframe of the next console, the corrent one dies.
Two generations now Nintendo has put out titles that aren't as stellar as their IPs would suggest. I dont want that happening with the nx, nor do I want to invest in another console that'll barely have 4 years of life in it.
If you're talking Zelda titles then maybe I can agree with you. Well on the last 3 consoles. WiiU/Wii/GC. But overall though I can't agree. Nintendo has put out some amazing games with it's main IPs. For me Super Mario Galaxy and sequel was just amazing, well worthy for the Mario IP. Just one example.
Nintendo aren't popular in the west or to the age brackets that matter
I think E3 proives this wrong. Lots of people outside Japan care about what Nintendo do. Nintendo is still very popular. Sure maybe not as popular as the late 80's and early 90's period, but still popular enough to matter.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
True, Nintendo said they want the nx to be played for a long time, but Nintendo aren't popular in the west or to the age brackets that matter, so the nx, regardless of power or third party support, will probably be looked on as a failure 18months on and Nintendo will then focus on yet another hardware flip for titles that never were.

The only reason the Wii U didn't sell was the poor marketing. Remember how excited third-parties initially were? If Nintendo continues developing as they have been for the Wii U and gets third-party support on top of that the NX can't lose, especially considering the drought of exclusives for PS4 and X-box One. It may be succesfull even with poor marketing. As long as they're not calling it Wii-something, they're safe. At least as far as marketing is concerned.

Dan

Constant stream or not, I dont trust Nintendo anymore.

I'm gonna review the nx at the end of its run and decide if its worth buying one.

This is a good policy to keep in mind when purchasing a console in general.

I've been content with my Wii U as I adore platformers and received plenty of them both through Nintendo and Indie developers. I could only recommend the Wii U to a certain group of people. It's a shame the Wii U had to end like this.

I hope Nintendo do learn from their mistakes this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom