• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

NX Discussion and Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So, this time on our bullet list, is again more rumors. However, I think this one is even more credible still considering this one is backed by Emily Rogers, and he has also validated his sources from mods. So let's get to it, shall we?

The NX is going to be sizably more powerful than the PS4. 10K doesn't have any specific clock speeds, but he says there is a definite difference. Furthermore, the NX has made games extremely easy to port to, making developers extremely happy, especially since they have some more power to play with.

Zelda Wii U and Smash Bros 4 will definitely be ported and enhanced for the system. He has had a multitude of sources confirm this, and it's definitely going to happen within the launch window.

Splatoon and Mario Maker may come to the system. Now, according to 10K, these games are indeed in development. However, Nintendo is having a really hard time sharing player data for cross play between the two systems. If they cannot iron out these kinks, then Nintendo does not want to release these games for NX. His sources give around a 50% probability of these becoming reality.

The NDA for the NX is tight lipped. He still cannot find anyone to tell him any other technical details of the system. However, it's more likely that the NX will use X86 structures.

So yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Overall, the leaker seems very credible, especially since Emily Rogers backs this up. Things can overall change in development. But, assuming this is real, the future looks bright for NX. I cannot wait to play FFXV with a rock solid frame rate over the Ps4 and XBOne Versions ;)

Some more NX rumours for everyone here.
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207224

• The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount"
  • The Wii U Remasters will happen on the NX
  • Zelda NX
  • Super Mario Maker NX - Not sure if updated or just a pure port
  • Splatoon NX - Not sure if updated or just a pure port
  • Smash Bros 4 NX
  • NDA's are tight as hell
  • NX SDK's are out there right now
  • The NX architecture is under NDA but is highly speculated to be x86
  • Nobody knows anything about the handheld
My opinions on these rumours are:

The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount"
This sounds very plausible. I do think this is not jsut to better the PS4. Nintendo have other reasons for wanting all of this under the hood grunt. What reasons exactly, we will fond out all in good time.

The Wii U Remasters will happen on the NX
I can't see why this would even be a good idea apart from being a cash cow. But I think there is a solid reason why Nintendo is wanting to do this. I think it's more than just the money. I think it's to do with the fact that the new NX hardware can give a better and different gaming experience. I hope it's more than like the GC games just ported to the Wii with new ways to play them. Who knows?

Zelda NX
Captain Obvious here. The only question is will it be a TP and be WiiU/NX? I do think so but lets wait and see.

Super Mario Maker NX
Could this be why many of the seelingly obvious features (like slopes) are absent from SMM WiiU? They will be on the NX? Who knows. Would I buy SMM on the NX after alreadybuying it on the WiiU? Maybe. Only if Nintendo gave me a reason to get it again.

Splatoon NX
Millions already own Splatoon. For those that do not, getting it on the NX would be push they need to get the NX console. Would people re-buy Splatoon though? I really don't know.

Smash Bros 4 NX
If this was Melee or Brawl remastered for the NX then I think everyone would rush to buy it. But SSB4? I don't know. All the existing DLC would have to work with it. Being forced to buy all the DLC again will just make people not want to buy SSB4 again. If this just SSB4 with prettier graphics, I'm not getting it. I don't need prettier graphics to like the multiplayer. The single player content is non-existant though as it's so bad, not having it there would be no differemnce, I never play it. But of there were real changes to SSB4 to improve it, thwn I'd seriously have ot think about it. This will though possibly harm the chances of SSB5 on NX though. Which is a shame cause the definitive version of SSB - number 4 has the worst single player of all 4 games.

NDA's are tight as hell
Again Captain Obvious.

The NX architecture is under NDA but is highly speculated to be x86
I can agree with this to make porting future games to and from the NX to be much easier for the developers.

Nobody knows anything about the handheld
This could be for three reasons. The first is that this is a TV console and there is no handheld part of the NX. The second reason is that the terms TV console and portable console will cease to exist with the NX. The NX will be all in one. Nintendo will somehow merge both lines (TV and portable). The third reasons is simply that no one knows any info and has no idea what Nintendo is doing on this front. Take your pick as to which you think it is.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
If the NX truly is more powerful than the ps4, and maintains good support of and by 3rd party developers, I'd definitely consider picking it. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and never felt inclined to, but I hope the NX can change my mind.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
You know, the NX seems to becoming more and more similar to the SNES.
It comes after the competitions and has more power, has better exclusives(if done correctly), is more iconic, and it may have more features such as free online.

If Nintendo could do NX properly, like they did the SNES. Then Nintendo could very well get back on top.

You know, the NX seems to becoming more and more similar to the SNES.
It comes after the competitions and has more power, has better exclusives(if done correctly), is more iconic, and it may have more features such as free online.

If Nintendo could do NX properly, like they did the SNES. Then Nintendo could very well get back on top.
The N64 and GC failed partially because the fees Nintendo asked for to be on the Nintendo platform were too high for the 3rd party developers to pay. Either they 3rd party develoeprs did not want to pay them or could not jsutify the cost. This drove many 3rd party developers away from Nintendo at the time. It seems (as you point out) Nintendo is learning from their mistakes.

In many ways this is a SNES (a better NES). The NES had all the 3rd party developers on board as well with many good exclusives. Just as many good ones as the SNES. But I think the NX will be something different too. I do think the NES -> SNES is like the Wii -> WiiU in a lot more ways than just having similar names to the previous console.

Nintendo will do well with the NX. It will probably not outsell the PS4 or PS4.5/PS5 or whatever Sony puts out next. I do not think Nintendo is aiming for that though. I think their main aim is to break even soon after the NX is released. With that issue of not being in the red off their minds, they can feel free to be a little more innovative with the first party games for the NX and other ideas they have.

More NX rumours:
  • Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207224
  • The NX gimmick - A controller with a screen of some sort
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 is in development for NX
  • The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU
  • Nintendo is using Vulkan with NX
  • Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX
  • MercurySteam has a dev kit and is making an already announced game for the NX
  • Final Fantasy XV on NX
  • NX will likely launch at different times per region
  • There are lots of NX games in development
  • New IP are being developed

Here is my opinions on all of this.

The NX gimmick
- Sounds very plausible. There has to be a new way to interact with the NX. I don't think gmepad and pro controller (same as the WiiU) is going to cut the mustard. It will be new and hopefulyl amazing, but time will tell how good this really is.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - This rumour has been around for a bit. If it's the big launch game (like it was on the GC) I don't know if that's a console seller. If there another big Nintendo made game on launch sure, but if this is it, then I will be disappointed. Would I buy it? probably not initially as it's just not my thing, but this depends on how good it really is.

The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU - Plausible, but it not be too custom though. Nintendo will want to keep the easy of 3rd party ports to the NX up.

Nintendo is using Vulkan with NX - I can't say I know much about this. Does anyone else know what this means for the NX and can clue us in?

Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX - I have suspected this would be the case. Only a few larger studios need the SDK now. The rest will get them I would assume very soon adfter the NX is officially announced.

MercurySteam has a dev kit and is making an already announced game for the NX - I would guess this would be a launch game, otherwise there's no need for them to have the SDK now.

Final Fantasy XV on NX - Old rumour. If this is so I might even buy it. People here know I really do not like the main FF games. I do really like the FFCC offshoot games though. But FFXV on the NX? I might jsut get it to keep the 3rd parties wanting to support the NX. Also FFXV is rumoured to be not that bad of a game so far. SquareEnix usually put out good games, so I'm willing to take a risk with them.

NX will likely launch at different times per region - Very plausible. Most likely it will be Japan first, NA second EU third and Australia either with EU or last. Not an issue as the EU and Aus people are used to this so we handle it well. This might just have to be done doe to limits on how fast the parts for the NX can be manufactured.

There are lots of NX games in development - Ambigious meaningless statement. Lots could be 3. Lots could be 30. We just do not know.

New IP are being developed - Plausible rumour as Nintendo usually put out one new IP per console.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Whaaaaat? No XCX port for the NX on a console that clearly stands for Nintendo Xenoblade?

All this news is making me excited, nonetheless. Deliver it, Ninty.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
More NX rumours:
  • Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207224
  • The NX gimmick - A controller with a screen of some sort
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 is in development for NX
  • The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU
  • Nintendo is using Vulkan with NX
  • Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX
  • MercurySteam has a dev kit and is making an already announced game for the NX
  • Final Fantasy XV on NX
  • NX will likely launch at different times per region
  • There are lots of NX games in development
  • New IP are being developed

Here is my opinions on all of this.

The NX gimmick
- Sounds very plausible. There has to be a new way to interact with the NX. I don't think gmepad and pro controller (same as the WiiU) is going to cut the mustard. It will be new and hopefulyl amazing, but time will tell how good this really is.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - This rumour has been around for a bit. If it's the big launch game (like it was on the GC) I don't know if that's a console seller. If there another big Nintendo made game on launch sure, but if this is it, then I will be disappointed. Would I buy it? probably not initially as it's just not my thing, but this depends on how good it really is.

The NX will use a custom Polaris-like GPU - Plausible, but it not be too custom though. Nintendo will want to keep the easy of 3rd party ports to the NX up.

Nintendo is using Vulkan with NX - I can't say I know much about this. Does anyone else know what this means for the NX and can clue us in?

Most dev kits won't be given until Nintendo formally reveals the NX - I have suspected this would be the case. Only a few larger studios need the SDK now. The rest will get them I would assume very soon adfter the NX is officially announced.

MercurySteam has a dev kit and is making an already announced game for the NX - I would guess this would be a launch game, otherwise there's no need for them to have the SDK now.

Final Fantasy XV on NX - Old rumour. If this is so I might even buy it. People here know I really do not like the main FF games. I do really like the FFCC offshoot games though. But FFXV on the NX? I might jsut get it to keep the 3rd parties wanting to support the NX. Also FFXV is rumoured to be not that bad of a game so far. SquareEnix usually put out good games, so I'm willing to take a risk with them.

NX will likely launch at different times per region - Very plausible. Most likely it will be Japan first, NA second EU third and Australia either with EU or last. Not an issue as the EU and Aus people are used to this so we handle it well. This might just have to be done doe to limits on how fast the parts for the NX can be manufactured.

There are lots of NX games in development - Ambigious meaningless statement. Lots could be 3. Lots could be 30. We just do not know.

New IP are being developed - Plausible rumour as Nintendo usually put out one new IP per console.
It's way far more likely NX will release in America first.
The console launch window is November.... Period. Black Friday is the single biggest extravaganza commercially for Videogame companies. Furthermore, Videogame consoles are not as important to Japan as they are in the U.S. So U.S. Will definitely have to get the NX first. Japan will probably wait until April as that is their biggest commercial holiday. As for Europe.... I have no idea... Maybe somewhere in the middle?

Luigis Mansion 2 actually sold quite a bit of 3DS's. If they pushed the strides of the NX graphically, then Luigi's mansion is the perfect game to showcase this newfound strength.

The Vulkan is a graphics card largely made by AMD. From what I can gather, it's a pretty heavy hitter. It is extremely versatile and avoids bottlenecks. This is further emphasized as Vulkan fully supports unreal engine 4. It also places a huge emphasis on shaders. This also appeals to Nintendo's strengths. The reason that some Nintendo Wii U games look even better than PS4 games is due to the magnificent use of shaders(see Mario Kart 8). However, what is far more interesting, is that Vulkan is compatible with mobile devices. This also lines up with the Hybrid rumors for the NX. So I see a certain amount of credibility to this rumor. It just makes sense. But if this is fake, than the leaker certainly did his homework.

It's way far more likely NX will release in America first.
The console launch window is November.... Period. Black Friday is the single biggest extravaganza commercially for Videogame companies. Furthermore, Videogame consoles are not as important to Japan as they are in the U.S. So U.S. Will definitely have to get the NX first. Japan will probably wait until April as that is their biggest commercial holiday. As for Europe.... I have no idea... Maybe somewhere in the middle?
That is all speculation. But . . . it's very well thought out and plausible. I could see this happening. I'd rather see a simultaneous worldwide launch personally, but I don't there is enough parts worldwise for this to happen, considering you have the likes of Apple, Samsung, MS, Sony etc etc also competing for the manufacturing space to make the parts. I do know the Jap market is more handheld, but still I do think this could be a christmas launch in Japan and early 2017 for the rest of the world too. I think time will tell when it'll be released, but what you say is very plausible. Nintendo has has delayed a couple of games quite a lot in the US for Black Friday. Also you do have the N3DS. That was released in Australia before anywhere else in the world. So who knoes really.

The Black Friday rumour though is very plausible and I would not be surprised in the least, if that happens.

Luigis Mansion 2 actually sold quite a bit of 3DS's. If they pushed the strides of the NX graphically, then Luigi's mansion is the perfect game to showcase this newfound strength.
That is portable and not TV console, but if I am wrong on this I'm willing to accept this. I just don't remember how popular LM was at the GC launch. That was over a decade ago so that might not be relevant anymore. It's just not a traditional Nintendo game for a console launch. Nintendo would have to go the hard sell on LM3. Tell us exactly why we need it and how the NX hardware makes it amazing to play. Do that well enough and I might even buy it.

The Vulkan is a graphics card largely made by AMD. From what I can gather, it's a pretty heavy hitter. It is extremely versatile and avoids bottlenecks. This is further emphasized as Vulkan fully supports unreal engine 4. It also places a huge emphasis on shaders. This also appeals to Nintendo's strengths. The reason that some Nintendo Wii U games look even better than PS4 games is due to the magnificent use of shaders(see Mario Kart 8). However, what is far more interesting, is that Vulkan is compatible with mobile devices. This also lines up with the Hybrid rumors for the NX. So I see a certain amount of credibility to this rumor. It just makes sense. But if this is fake, than the leaker certainly did his homework.
Thanks for the information. I did not know this. I agree with you, this is either very plausible or we have an expert rumour faker on our hands. This really does make sense. I totally agree with you.

Thank you for your replies.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
That is all speculation. But . . . it's very well thought out and plausible. I could see this happening. I'd rather see a simultaneous worldwide launch personally, but I don't there is enough parts worldwise for this to happen, considering you have the likes of Apple, Samsung, MS, Sony etc etc also competing for the manufacturing space to make the parts. I do know the Jap market is more handheld, but still I do think this could be a christmas launch in Japan and early 2017 for the rest of the world too. I think time will tell when it'll be released, but what you say is very plausible. Nintendo has has delayed a couple of games quite a lot in the US for Black Friday. Also you do have the N3DS. That was released in Australia before anywhere else in the world. So who knoes really.

The Black Friday rumour though is very plausible and I would not be surprised in the least, if that happens.

That is portable and not TV console, but if I am wrong on this I'm willing to accept this. I just don't remember how popular LM was at the GC launch. That was over a decade ago so that might not be relevant anymore. It's just not a traditional Nintendo game for a console launch. Nintendo would have to go the hard sell on LM3. Tell us exactly why we need it and how the NX hardware makes it amazing to play. Do that well enough and I might even buy it.

Thanks for the information. I did not know this. I agree with you, this is either very plausible or we have an expert rumour faker on our hands. This really does make sense. I totally agree with you.

Thank you for your replies.
Here's the thing though. Japan doesn't really celebrate Japan in the same way we do. So it would be nonsense to have priority over it. That's just intuition. If they released the NX at any other time in America, things just aren't going to bode well. However at Japan, they can release it in Spring to match their commercial season. Furthermore, from everything that can be seen in this rumor, we can definitely tell this is aimed at western audiences. Be it western third party developers, or western focused games(Final Fantasy 15). Everything about this launch seems very western focused.

As for Luigi's Mansion. It wasn't extremely popular at launch, because people were expecting a Mario game. However, since, Luigi's Mansion released, the series has gotten a good following. This is proven fact by Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon sold around 4.5 million copies. Which altogether proves its a pretty big success.

Back in the GameCube, Luigi's Mansion was made to show off the hardware capabilities of the GameCube. They could show off Advanced Lighting techniques for the time, higher polygon counts, the upgraded resolution, how many models that can be on the screen at a time(this is especially obvious in the big boo fight) ect. The big focus was on lighting however. Luigi Weilds a flashlight, and the purpose of the games is to clear out rooms to make it light.

Alright, well. Just take that mentality, and put it on NX. I mean, the Luigi's Mansion 3 could show off an extensive lighting system never to be seen before, amazing ghost designs that reflect transparency and depth, ect. Luigi's Mansion is the perfect game to show off new hardware. It kind of just fits.

Last edited:
Gamestop COO claims Nintendo's new console is "imminent"
Source: http://www.alphr.com/games/1002714/...-coo-claims-nintendos-new-console-is-imminent
A very nice 4 page article summnig up all the NX rumorus we have to date.

They also have a pic of the WiiU hardware dev kit if you want to see what that looked like.

nintendo_wii_u_dev_kit_vgleaks.jpg

Another rumour someone received:
Source: https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/689819996600532993/photo/1

CZK7oYAWAAEBrhh.png

900p looks to be false as 1080p would be the absolute minumum though I would have thought. But I'll leave it up here as it is a rumour. Might not be true though. We shall see all in good time.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Gamestop COO claims Nintendo's new console is "imminent"
Source: http://www.alphr.com/games/1002714/...-coo-claims-nintendos-new-console-is-imminent
A very nice 4 page article summnig up all the NX rumorus we have to date.

They also have a pic of the WiiU hardware dev kit if you want to see what that looked like.

nintendo_wii_u_dev_kit_vgleaks.jpg

Another rumour someone received:
Source: https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/689819996600532993/photo/1

CZK7oYAWAAEBrhh.png

900p looks to be false as 1080p would be the absolute minumum though I would have thought. But I'll leave it up here as it is a rumour. Might not be true though. We shall see all in good time.
That's quite a deal more powerful than the PS4. That doesn't mean that games cannot run at 1080p, it just means that it is suited for 900p 60fps. The PS4, is more suited for either 720p 60fps, or 1080 30fps. This has been clearly apparent that the PS4 doesn't play that many games at 60fps since developers always go for 1080p.

This is also gives Nintendo Developers much more to work with as well. They are simply astounding at efficiency, they are better than any other developer this way. While despite the Wii U being underpowered, they are able to consistently run games at 1080p 60fps. That's even disregarding the technical marvel of Star Fox Zero's 720p + 720p + 60fps + 60fps. So yeah. This means that NX is indeed more powerful than the PS4.

That's quite a deal more powerful than the PS4. That doesn't mean that games cannot run at 1080p, it just means that it is suited for 900p 60fps. The PS4, is more suited for either 720p 60fps, or 1080 30fps. This has been clearly apparent that the PS4 doesn't play that many games at 60fps since developers always go for 1080p.

This is also gives Nintendo Developers much more to work with as well. They are simply astounding at efficiency, they are better than any other developer this way. While despite the Wii U being underpowered, they are able to consistently run games at 1080p 60fps. That's even disregarding the technical marvel of Star Fox Zero's 720p + 720p + 60fps + 60fps. So yeah. This means that NX is indeed more powerful than the PS4.
I agree with you 100%. I agree 1080p and 60fps is very hard to achieve constantly in games. I have to say though I hope that the develoeprs optimise their NX code as much as they have for the previous Nintendo consoles.

Also I do remember reading somewhere (I forget where) someone claimed that Luigi's Mansion 3 is NX because Nintendo felt the WiiU could not get the job done techwise. If this is true, and knowing what exists with SFZ, XCX, etc etc, this must mean that there are some very shiny new effects to show off in LM3. Sure if a few 3rd party develpers are too lazy to make their games work on the WiiU and throw around the "WiiU is not powerful enough" excuse. But if Nintendo said that, then they must really mean it. I can really see LM3 looking amazing if all of this is true.

Im not concerned about the power or visuals the machine will puch, more than im concerned about the controller. Its a make or break for me.
I actually agree. How I play the NX, not how powerful the NX is is what matters more to me as well. But we can't let our initial impressions get the better of us. I initially hated the gamepad, now though I don't find it all that bad. We have to really consider how we will interact with the NX, not just take our initial impressions of it as "well that's it" kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom