• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Non-linear

Majora's Cat

How about that
Zelda games have almost always been, at its core, a linear franchise. But the amount of depth and sidequests, and the expansiveness of the open worlds are what makes them a bit more non-linear. Take Twilight Princess for example. It has many sidequests, and you can literally go your own path and do whatever you want during the time between dungeons. As for games like Metroid, sure, they were non-linear, but when it came winding down to Prime 3, basically the whole game was linear, offering little sidequests. You should be happy that Zelda is the perfect blend of linear and non-linear gaming.

I think the dungeons should be non-linear and changing. Like the next dungeon you go to will be based on the item you found in the previous dungeon/dungeons. But I also wouldn't mind a linear Zelda what-so-ever. I don't like too many options because too many choices scare me :...( and hurt my brain : /

Take Twilight Princess for example. It has many sidequests, and you can literally go your own path and do whatever you want during the time between dungeons.
I don't agree with this at all. Well, mostly. I see what you mean. For all of Twilight Princess' linearity, it still had sidequests. Still, you were intensely limited as far as the sidequests were concerned. More than any other Zelda game. It wasn't really until you cleared up all the Twilight that you were free to explore Hyrule, and basically it gradually let you do the side material as you played through the (incredibly linear) main game. Now, all the games in the series have done this, but in TP it was way more restricting. It was always do A before you're allowed to do B, and even with the sidequests it was always do A before you can do this sidequest. It was not very open. Most restricted game of the series.

I suppose it was alright (though certainly not preferable), but I really would hate it if the entire series went in this direction, and especially if they took it further.

I don't like too many options because too many choices scare me :...( and hurt my brain : /
This is probably the one main issue with non-linear game-play. Since it's more open it can be a lot more confusing to people. That's why I think it's good for open games like that to have some sense of direction. A hint system, an arrow on your map, or some kind of clue. Zelda has always had that (aside from the first two games) and I think that's good. But because it has that, it doesn't have much excuse not to open up more IMO.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm just going to say, having both elements would be the perfect balance. I would really like to have the freedom to go and discover some of the plot/sidequests/dungeons/items for myself. While being restricted just a bit. Maybe, hidden dungeons here and there, with secret underground holes/tunnels and caves in places that didn't shout to you that you need to bomb this place. While knowing where to go and why there, at times, without being forced to go at the moment. Because you need to be playing this adventure for a reason. For something, so that way you're motivated to explore the world, bomb places, search the waters, dig, etc. Sorta like having missions you have to find, because you know what you have to do next, while being able to explore instead of being forced to go to point A to point B. But you still need to have some restriction and really heavy story and characters to motivate you.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like the idea of a linear non-linear game, in the sense that you can go to many places, but it isn't a sandbox. If you've ever played a sandbox game (e.g Just Cause, Red Dead Redemption), you'll quickly find yourself lost unless you've beaten the game many times over, or you're in a relatively small sandbox. I don't like the idea of doing any dungeon in any order, because LoZ was just "Run, slash, dodge". It never required another item besides the sword excluding the map items (raft, etc.) and the bow/bombs. The boomerang was absolutely optional in regards to using it. In these modern Zelda games, there are puzzles that require items. Those items need to be found in a particular order if the items in SS are supposedly going to be used in almost every place. Sidequests need to be open early, or else the game won't be attractive towards the TP-dislikers.

I agree it should never be like Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, or any other sandbox. Zelda isn't and should never be a sandbox, because to me they feel uncharismatic in a sense; its too open so you end up missing a lot of content, and a lot of the content is half-a$* done, because they try to throw so much in, and there is less charm in each sidequest and area. Plus, I like to 100 percent my games; getting everything feels like an accomplishment. Can't do that in a game like Oblivion. Unless you don't have a life lol.

I think what people want is a lot more content outside the main game like sidequests, mini games, secret mini dungeons, etc, than previous titles. Like Majora's Mask had a great amount of side content, as did Wind Waker. Recently it hasn't been as prominent and that's what is bothering me personally.

Secondly, the main quest should be in sections like it always has, but perhaps give us the freedom to find the three or whatever dungeons in our own order. Once they are all complete, move onto the next section of dungeons and tackle those with the three items we acquired from the first three. That way the story flows the same way but there is more exploration elements that make adventuring games much more enjoyable.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
I would really like it to be linear. I love the story that goes into Zelda games and making it non-linear would take away a lot of story.

It doesn't need to be linear to have a great story to it... And I don't even think any of the Zelda games really had a great story to them to begin with, so making it linear would be pointless. All Zelda games are saving a princess. They don't get more complicated than that. The only games with an actual story to them are TP and MM, and they are linear as hell.

I agree it should never be like Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption, or any other sandbox. Zelda isn't and should never be a sandbox, because to me they feel uncharismatic in a sense; its too open so you end up missing a lot of content, and a lot of the content is half-a$* done, because they try to throw so much in, and there is less charm in each sidequest and area. Plus, I like to 100 percent my games; getting everything feels like an accomplishment. Can't do that in a game like Oblivion. Unless you don't have a life lol.

I think what people want is a lot more content outside the main game like sidequests, mini games, secret mini dungeons, etc, than previous titles. Like Majora's Mask had a great amount of side content, as did Wind Waker. Recently it hasn't been as prominent and that's what is bothering me personally.

Secondly, the main quest should be in sections like it always has, but perhaps give us the freedom to find the three or whatever dungeons in our own order. Once they are all complete, move onto the next section of dungeons and tackle those with the three items we acquired from the first three. That way the story flows the same way but there is more exploration elements that make adventuring games much more enjoyable.

Ever play Minecraft? It is a ****ing great game and it is as "sandbox" as you can get.

Zelda games have almost always been, at its core, a linear franchise. But the amount of depth and sidequests, and the expansiveness of the open worlds are what makes them a bit more non-linear. Take Twilight Princess for example. It has many sidequests, and you can literally go your own path and do whatever you want during the time between dungeons. As for games like Metroid, sure, they were non-linear, but when it came winding down to Prime 3, basically the whole game was linear, offering little sidequests. You should be happy that Zelda is the perfect blend of linear and non-linear gaming.

The core of the Zelda franchise is non-linear adventuring and trying to find out what to do next. I only read the first sentence and knew you were way off. Side-quests don't make the game non-linear because they are optional to do. I am happy and content with Zelda, but it does not contain non-linearity just because of a side-quest. Side quest are optional, and pretty much just extra work you don't need to do. KH is a very linear game and it has these side quests (opening all the treasure-chests, getting the strongest keyblade) and it is not non-linear in any way. You sir are completely off base.

Last edited:
I think that a way to make a game feel less linear is putting side-content and everything in it.
Just like a tradicional RPG. You have the place you have to go to continue with the story, but you also have a world you can explore, do sidequest, etc before deciding to go to your destination.
It's linear at its core, but give you the feel of freedom.

Also, I feel that the Zelda franchise is focusing too much in sidequests, like poe hunting or bug hunting, to make the game feel less linear, while I think it should be better for them to focus more in the exploration. Make us explore the world map, find a rock to explode, a secret passageway that take us to a tottaly different part of Hyrule, anything!
I'm not saying they should put aside the sidequest, but that they should focus more in the exploration instead of it.

But it could be totally non-linear too. I think that Zelda games have the freedom to make games that are very different among them, maybe not as much as Mario for example, but more than most franchises. Just compare WW and TP!
I think they can make Zelda games that are either linear or non-linear. For example, most recent Zelda games have been more linear, so it would be good if SS was non-linear.
But I think it is unlikely. It is clear that SS will have a certain focus on the plot.

I think it would be really nice to have a non-linear Zelda game for a change.

Last edited:

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
A non-linear game can have a great story. Depth doesn't come from a story by doing things in a certain order and being restricted from the rest of the world unless you first go from point A to point B (kindof like what Axel the Beast said).

Twilight Princess was EXTREMELY linear and it had a great story. But, in my opinion, its story didn't come from having limited gameplay. I thought it was a great story because it was different and original. Most of the Zelda stories were, "Hey! Save the kingdom and then save the princess!" Twilight Princess went even farther to say, "Save the kingdom, save the princess, save the other kingdom, and the other princess and oh yeah, don't forget to kill BOTH of the main villains!" While that made it a much more tedious task, it gave the game a certain aspect of darkness and mystery (to me, atleast). Although I really don't like Twilight Princess that much....it still had a great story.

But, adding to that, the characters in Twilight Princess were sorta....meh. Yes, the characters in TP did have their own personalities and such, but there really was no depth. The only character with true depth was Midna, but she was with us for the entire game. We learned her quirks, her secrets, her intents, etc. But for others, there really was nothing else to them. The only thing that brought out Zelda's character was her sacrifice for Hyrule and for Midna, but to me that didn't really add much else to her (plus she was hardly in the game anyways). Someone else had said this before: that everyone in TP was basically pushed aside to make room for Midna and that it was all about her (I can't remember who said it though, so sorry!!). And I can understand that statement. We didn't learn any background stories for anybody besides Midna (however I will say that we got a pretty good insight to Zant's insanity....).

I believe with Skyward Sword they can find a balance between linear and non-linear, and that's what they've been trying to do. We all know that Nintendo is working on changing the flow of Zelda while still keeping the feel of Zelda. I'm sure they'll find a perfect fit that most people will be satisfied with (I say most because there are always going to be people who dislike it - that's just the diverse opinions of people. It's not a bad thing). Throughout the game, as Nintendo told us, we will be learning why these two lands seperated. That's a pretty original story, I think. Although we don't know any other details yet, so I'm not going to completely entitle myself to believe that the story will be amazing. And seeing as this is going to predate Ocarina of Time (by a long time, actually, since SS is going to explain the origins of the Master Sword), I believe that Zelda won't even be a princess yet. Maybe she'll be the head of a town? Or perhaps she'll just be a normal woman? Whatever, we don't even know yet. But this game could be more than just a "Go save the princess and her kingdom!" kind of game (but we never know....--sigh--).

But keep in mind that these are all just my thoughts. So don't be surprised if you disagree with my statements. -____-"

And yes, I know, I talk way too much. :3

J

jora

i believe its just that the games story have become to predictable i believe i already know the storyline for ss not all of it mind you but from what i gathered

WARNING PROBABLY FUTURE SPOILERS dont cry to me if something similar OR THIS actually happens in the game! but if you do my deviant art account is posted at the bottom on my sig please drop by and complain all you want.

WARNED YA

OKAY

THE friend link is looking for is Obviously (and always will be ) a Female cause In the LOZ universe men besides Link who are Heroes are not aloud so are guy friends or any male contact (i guess Nintendo fears Yaoi)! . the friend is probably Zelda and she doesn't know it nor dose anyone else or she dose know and keeps it secret, but the things who kidnapped her or lets say she accidentally feel to the land below know who she is . after about 3 dungeons (like usual) or 30 hours in you'll discover who she really is and it turns out that she has no power on the land below and Link must help bring her to power add master sword back story heir and why skyloft and the land below where separated their (probably to keep Zelda,s identity safe and herself as well) and badguy (some people assume this time it will be a women) is false ruler of the land below searching for zelda,Triforce mastersword or some other force they need to take the whole world.

Now why do i think this and why to be expectations leads to this.
1, the new director of this game has a record for being somewhat original but he also seems to love the zelda and link close friendship. They love speculating the thought of possible love interest in our minds and doing the, there are so many other girls to choose from fans! but this is what we are leading to. Its not persona people its not a dating sim at times they love to slap us in the face with midlink or zelink or malinl illia link the works zelink being the recent slaps after TP, and the most controversial and most loved and at times hated. and its kinda sad people discuss and make a big deal when its just a game.

2, at times they are hardly original in Zelda, like i just did you can predict a whole storyline from interviews and videos thats why Nintendo has kept this game super hush hush i mean currently many are wondering when is the next video game expo or pax after tokyo game show to see the new storyline trailer for SS.

3, Its hard to be original these days everything is always like "oh well this remind me of this or this is the same as this" even with movies all the movies you see today are always based on books and or remakes of old movies but if the bioshock series can do it and the metal gear solid series did it, why is it so hard for the Zelda games to do it? Final fantasy witch is the same kind of world dose it in a minimum of 2 years! why dose it take Zelda 4 to keep the story fresh and original? cause of just what i said...

NINTENDO IF YOU SEE THIS POSTED ANYWHERE ELSE YOU JUST HAVE TO PROVE ME WRONG! i dont wanna be right i want a story i cannot predict and where i dont know what happens next
sorry for the supper long post but it had to be said...Like i said before dont spam this post go one my devpage link provide below if ya wanna talk about it personally.

David

But you called me here...
I love both the linear and non-linear aspects of the Zelda series. I really like the exploration of LoZ and I really like the method in TP. But, I have opinions on how the combination of linear and non-linear should work because I'm pretty positive that Nintendo won't get rid of the learning curve for the newbies to the series.

For example, when it comes to almost non-linear games that provide some sort of direction while upholding the exploration aspect of a game, I think back to the good ol' days of Metroid Prime. I love that game. Anyway, with Metroid Prime, you had the ability to explore most of the world (sure, if you didn't have the right weapon, you couldn't access certain areas, but put that aside) everytime you got something and had to do something. If the game got lost along the way, after a while you'd receive scan data that would give you the basic area of where to go. Yeah, it didn't activate every single time you did something, but it occurred a lot. It didn't tell you how to get there or what you would have to do there, but it had the general area of where you had to go. If Nintendo wants to ease up on the linear play, but allow some direction, they could implement an idea similar to Metroid Prime where the player can explore the over-world and take notice of their surroundings.

I understand that I said that they could do something like they did in Metroid Prime in Zelda, but I would caution against full implementation of this method. This is what made Metroid Prime one of my favorite games and I believe that it basically represents the majority of the Metroid series. I would recommend something purely similar to this method. Not an exact copy. And there's my suggestion and opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom