• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

David

But you called me here...
I really don't think Zelda needs voice acting. I enjoy making up the voices for the characters in my head. I did really like how Midna spoke in a different language, but I don't feel that it is necessary for Zelda.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
I am actually fine either way, but just a little sad that there WONT be voice acting. I feel zelda is just fine with its 'Hiyaas' and 'ohh' or 'ooooy' but it would have been cool to seem some voice acting ( midna's garbled language was cool, I would be fine with that). even though in the back of my head I would have feared nintendo messing it up, then I remember that other games are just fine with it (assassin's creed, god of war)

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'm ecstatic that there is no voice acting. Much of Zelda's charm comes from its lack of speech. Sure, it can seem nonsensical at times, but ultimately, I don't think we'll ever be satisfied if we hear Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf talk. Nothing sounds better than what you hear in your imagination; your subconscious automatically tunes their absence of voices into what is most appealing to you. If we were to hear Ganondorf speak much more than he does, we'd never be satisfied; it would never feel right, because we've already created what we want to hear in our imagination.
Unfortunately, I think this makes the addition of voice acting partway through a series a very precarious decision. If it's introduced right from the start, then it isn't so troublesome, because we haven't decided for ourselves yet how we want to perceive these characters -- the voice acting will "guide" you in that regard.

R

Rarulla6

Voice acting can really push a franchise to whole new levels, but in the case of Zelda, it's been perfectly fine without. But if anyone were to pull off such a stunt and still be successful, it'd be Nintendo. I don't really mind what Miyamato decides, since I'm trusting that whatever he throws at us will still be an awesome game.

I don't really care about voice acting. It really isn't a discouragement or something happy for me.

Just another one of those things. :P

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
For this game, I'm glad that they didn't put voice acting in it, it's just not a Zelda game thing.
I belive they do have voice acting in the Zelda games for the console that Mases is going to use for the Livestream thingy.
but those games are actually pretty bad (no offense to those pepole who like it), I tried them myself, and links voice did not fit, i think it was from that Zelda cartoon series.
I would love to see some voice acting as a test, but not for this game, it looks to epic to be pulled down by the experiments of voice acting.
And i sorta like how people in the game make small sounds when they react to something.

Austin

Austin
Y'know what? Forget my earlier post, I've had a change of heart. I'm pissed that there won't be any voice acting in this game. Fact is, if I ever feel nostalgic for "the good old silent Zelda", I'll play the 14+ games without voice acting. There's been enough of that, and it's time to step up and evolve. Change has happened many times in the series, and for the most part it worked out pretty damn well. If they keep playing it safe, the game will get stale. I don't want that, and deep down I don't think anyone wants that either. Accept change, and the series may get even better.

Could they screw up? Yeah, it's entirely possible, but not likely in my opinion. For a company like Nintendo that consistently churns out excellent games, I doubt they'd screw up with one of their most popular franchises. And for anyone who says "Zelda isn't a good series for voice acting", you have me positively bewildered. Zelda arguably has more depth and emotion than any other Nintendo series (or video games in general, for that matter). Voice acting tends to work out well for that type of thing. Rather than the typical stream of one-liners, we'd be likely to get emotionally-charged speechs that'd stay with us for quite a bit of time. THAT is the kind of stuff that'll make me believe it could be the best game of all time. Not new controls or graphics or whatever, but something truly risky that the series has seen nothing like before. So yeah, I'm disappointed that there won't be voice acting.

I don't want Link to talk though. Gotta leave something the same.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I wouldn't mind Voice Acting in Zelda but just as long as Link doesn't talk I'm fine with it.I wouldn't be mad nor would I be happy if there was voice acting or not in future Zelda games I simply don't mind it either way.

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
Y'know what? Forget my earlier post, I've had a change of heart. I'm pissed that there won't be any voice acting in this game. Fact is, if I ever feel nostalgic for "the good old silent Zelda", I'll play the 14+ games without voice acting. There's been enough of that, and it's time to step up and evolve. Change has happened many times in the series, and for the most part it worked out pretty damn well. If they keep playing it safe, the game will get stale. I don't want that, and deep down I don't think anyone wants that either. Accept change, and the series may get even better.

Could they screw up? Yeah, it's entirely possible, but not likely in my opinion. For a company like Nintendo that consistently churns out excellent games, I doubt they'd screw up with one of their most popular franchises. And for anyone who says "Zelda isn't a good series for voice acting", you have me positively bewildered. Zelda arguably has more depth and emotion than any other Nintendo series (or video games in general, for that matter). Voice acting tends to work out well for that type of thing. Rather than the typical stream of one-liners, we'd be likely to get emotionally-charged speechs that'd stay with us for quite a bit of time. THAT is the kind of stuff that'll make me believe it could be the best game of all time. Not new controls or graphics or whatever, but something truly risky that the series has seen nothing like before. So yeah, I'm disappointed that there won't be voice acting.

I don't want Link to talk though. Gotta leave something the same.

True Zelda Games should start using voice acting,but I think Nintendo should change gradually. They have changed smaller things like a grappling rope to a Whip and have made many spin-offs,but voice acting still needs some more "training" before it comes in. Zelda games have characters make sounds to show emotions. The only voice acting I've heard is Midna talk,Navi say "Hey" or "Listen", Link say "come on" in Wind Waker. Voice acting may come in the near future.

Couldn't agree with PJ more on this one. He makes the excellent point that you don't know until you try, and that the series refusal to evolve is simply hindering it even more. The gaming community has been looking for excuses since WW, and they're just running out. "Doesn't feel right....." Fear of change.

Tyeforce, I'm still waiting your reply to my and Axle's post. Unless, of course, there isn't one, which would be unfortunate.

As much as I think Nintendo could do voice acting right with Zelda, voice acting is very easy to screw up, so I hope Nintendo proceeds with caution when deciding these kinds of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom