• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Lol, surely homebrewing on the Switch will be widespread eventually, I guess I'm relying on people being way up to date on Switch news. On Monday, it was revealed that the Switch can be broken via something like a hard mod (it's a bit outside of my wheel house but mostly understandable). As such, it's not something that Nintendo can stop at this point, supposedly.

Hardmodding sounds like you need to to pull apart the switch itself and solder in new kit for it to work. Also i wouldn't be surprised if nintendo has made the system able to self brick after an update, or to autoblacklist consoles

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yeah, it requires physical USB access and something of a magic trick using the frequency of pulses related to the processor. I haven't seen any mention of soldering but it seems to me that it's something parallel to a hard mod. If what the source says is true, it sounds as if the OS is being subverted preventing Nintendo from bricking the system. I hate to say it but I hope Nintendo finds a way to quash any piracy that may arise from this.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yeah, it requires physical USB access and something of a magic trick using the frequency of pulses related to the processor. I haven't seen any mention of soldering but it seems to me that it's something parallel to a hard mod. If what the source says is true, it sounds as if the OS is being subverted preventing Nintendo from bricking the system. I hate to say it but I hope Nintendo finds a way to quash any piracy that may arise from this.

I've no doubt nintendo will kill off any piracy and then punish everyone else for it as well, look at what happened with S&M they found it was bweing pirated, blacklisted everyone then pushed the release back while they fixed any loopholes with it at the time.

The fact that even homebrewing can cause a console to brick shows that theres some inbuilt resistence to anything user made. I really am just waiting for an auto brick update to emerge, they did it on Wii U which knocked off a good bit of the community that mindlessly updated without checking and something says that they'll go for worse options for the switch.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
No Virtual Console. I'm astounded. I'm sure Nintendo's analysts have decided to avoid competition with the Classic consoles but I'm annoyed and sad. 20 free and updated classic games though, that should be fun. We'll all have to play them in some big Zeldungeon NESathon when the online service comes...on line.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Why are people taking this as a death sentence to virtual console on the Switch? There's no reason to think they won't implement it in the future, right?
Of course it's possible but earlier in the Switch's life, Nintendo was mum about it, even knowing that it was an expected feature. This left open the possibility that the virtual console would be coming to Switch at some point. The fact that Nintendo is now responding to the expectations of a Virtual Console by saying that there are no plans to implement one while in the same breath promising classic games via online subscription separate from the Virtual Console branding makes it less likely that a virtual console will make its way onto the Switch, and very unlikely that such a program would hit the console this year, which has been the subject of much speculation considering Nintendo plans to sell more Switches this year than it did last year. Totally still possible, disappointing nonetheless.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I want those games to be playable via lan as well. And I want to do a game of LoZ where each one of us plays thirty seconds of the game and then "hands the controller" to the next person in line. That'd be epic.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Cloud saves are neat and I always expected it to be a paid feature as opposed to free, but I'm not keen on a subscription-based service for retro games. I'd rather just pay for the games I'm actually interested in instead of bundling them together. It's the same reason I don't want a mini NES or SNES.

How about that online service? 20 bucks a year seems super reasonable, especially when it comes with 20+ free games
Only $20 for the US folks. It's $30 for me. Costs more outside the US for this, not cool but it is what it is. Also with those 20 NES games, I think maybe 5 at most will be really good games.
The could saving is the best part of the online service.

Note Well, this service is for one user account only. If you want multiple accounts on one or multiple Switches to be covered by the onlnie plan, you need to buy the family plan.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Only $20 for the US folks. It's $30 for me. Costs more outside the US for this, not cool but it is what it is. Also with those 20 NES games, I think maybe 5 at most will be really good games.
The could saving is the best part of the online service.

Note Well, this service is for one user account only. If you want multiple accounts on one or multiple Switches to be covered by the onlnie plan, you need to buy the family plan.
Ooooooh, so that makes sense now. I thought 20$ covered 1 switch, not 1 account... Then again, 35$ for 7 accounts, and my Switch only having 4 accounts seems fine. The extra three can go to others I guess. Maybe as a giveaway I'll give one away on here.

Even if only 5 of those 20 games are great games, if they are priced at 5$ each on the eshop (They usually are), you're still getting your money's worth, and I am very excited for this feature.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
How about that online service? 20 bucks a year seems super reasonable, especially when it comes with 20+ free games

Can't say I agree....selling a bundle of NES games for a one time payment of $20 could probably fly, but yearly? No. If their "online service" meant they were paying for dedicated servers, then there would be some justification for charging (though $20 would still be overpriced) but as it is, it's P2P. P2P without actual voice chat isn't a service. At this point the NES titles just feel like an excuse to say they aren't charging you for nothing.

And while you can argue that $20 isn't that much, let's look at the long term price. How long is a console generation? Well that varies, but these days I think a console generation is going to last around 10 years. And since this is a family system, you're likely to end up signing for the family plan. So $35 a year for 10 years. $350. Ultimately you end up paying more money than the actual Switch itself just so Nintendo stops blocking your internet and your kid can play Splatoon after saving up for three months to buy it with their lawn mowing money.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Can't say I agree....selling a bundle of NES games for a one time payment of $20 could probably fly, but yearly? No. If their "online service" meant they were paying for dedicated servers, then there would be some justification for charging (though $20 would still be overpriced) but as it is, it's P2P. P2P without actual voice chat isn't a service. At this point the NES titles just feel like an excuse to say they aren't charging you for nothing.

And while you can argue that $20 isn't that much, let's look at the long term price. How long is a console generation? Well that varies, but these days I think a console generation is going to last around 10 years. And since this is a family system, you're likely to end up signing for the family plan. So $35 a year for 10 years. $350. Ultimately you end up paying more money than the actual Switch itself just so Nintendo stops blocking your internet and your kid can play Splatoon after saving up for three months to buy it with their lawn mowing money.
But having no PtP online services in the beginning was just a nice move by nintendo, with Microsoft having gone down that route YEARS ago. Now they are finally doing what is typical of online services, but for cheaper than Xbox live and PS Gold or whatever it's called. Also, that cloud storage.

Also, 35 $ for 8 people. Does your switch have 8 accounts? No, it doesn't. It probably has 3 or 4. That means your friends, or even family could go in with you on paying for it with you, cheapening it dramatically

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom