• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Now Taking Ad Revenue from YouTube Let's Plays of Their Games

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Again, LPs are not meant for the actual video game content themselves, they're meant for the COMMENTARY. People have rough lives. They either can't get a job because of predicaments or cannot take on multiple ones for exhaustion. So, they turn to easier things like being a partner on YouTube and creating a bunch of voiced lines and stuff. Taking the money is a dick move whether you agree with it or not, whether it's right or wrong.

No, sitting on your *** and making easy money on things that you didn't create just by commenting is a dick move. It's every bit as lazy as GameStop. The commentary is supposed to be for entertainment, not a means to make money.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No, sitting on your *** and making easy money on things that you didn't create just by commenting is a dick move. The commentary is supposed to be for entertainment, not a means to make money.
Firstly, no it isn't. Lemonade stands my nig. Newscasting, making tutorials, etc all exist and are just as easy if not easier than a mere commentary. All of theses things make easy money - why can't commentary on a friggin video game do the same?

And...then explain why a bunch of partners advocate the business? Why GameStation, Machinima, TGN, and others support it? It's just the flow of things. Again, Nintendo is in their full rights to take the money, but the fact that they would is stupid. What's their reasoning for it? Because they can? Please. They must be filling in for some deficiency in their money bank, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. And any deficieny regarding the Wii U is 100% their fault. Don't punish us partners for it, just play the marketing game right.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Firstly, no it isn't. Lemonade stands my nig. Newscasting, making tutorials, etc all exist and are just as easy if not easier than a mere commentary. All of theses things make easy money - why can't commentary on a friggin video game do the same?

Because it's NOT YOUR WORK. YOU didn't make the game. YOU don't own the rights. Things like newscasting is reporting on events, not making money off of works of art you didn't make. It's completely different.

And...then explain why a bunch of partners advocate the business? Why GameStation, Machinima, TGN, and others support it? It's just the flow of things. Again, Nintendo is in their full rights to take the money, but the fact that they would is stupid. What's their reasoning for it? Because they can? Please. They must be filling in for some deficiency in their money bank, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. And any deficieny regarding the Wii U is 100% their fault. Don't punish us partners for it, just play the marketing game right.

Again, who cares? They made the games, they have the right to do this. If they want to make up for a loss of cash by earning money on THINGS THEY CREATED, there's no reason to get mad. Doing so is just childish.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I completely agree that Nintendo have the right to take the revenue but I think this is a pretty dumb move on their end and I can see it backfiring. A lot of people will stop Nintendo LPs now, this leads to less advertising, less free advertising.
This free advertising really could have helped Nintendo sell more Wii U consoles and games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Which is a childish reaction. "Oh, no, I'm not making money off of things I didn't make, I guess I should stop playing them now." Utter ridiculousness.

MONEY is on the stake, bro, like the stuff you use to PAY BILLS and GET FOOD and stuff. That is not a childish reaction. Even friggin Rockstar lets you do LPs - ROCKSTAR! Come on man.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Yes, it can be viewed as a childish reaction. But do you really think it won't happen?

That's not the point. It'll happen, and it's stupid that it'll happen is.

MONEY is on the stake, bro, like the stuff you use to PAY BILLS and GET FOOD and stuff. That is not a childish reaction. Even friggin Rockstar lets you do LPs - ROCKSTAR! Come on man.

It's called taking the initiative to try and find a real job. You know... EARN your ****, not effectively steal it.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not a big deal to me really...my LPs aren't that big or popular. I don't put my own advertisements on them because I honestly think that's a cheap dirty move. But hey, if my LPs are helping Nintendo...if only a few pennies worth, I'm glad. =)

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's not the point. It'll happen, and it's stupid that it'll happen is.
I think you were missing my point then:
jimmy.f27 said:
this leads to less advertising, less free advertising.
I'm not saying that your point is invalid, it's just not exactly on the same line as mine (I'm thinking of the effect on Nintendo, not weather it makes the LPers "childish") but regardless of if you agree with the situation or not, Nintendo are throwing away a piece of free advertising.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
JuicieJ said:
It's called taking the initiative to try and find a real job. You know... EARN your ****, not effectively steal it.
I'm not the big supporter of Youtubers or anything but I think it's rather harsh saying they "steal". They play a game provided by Nintendo and provide a form of entertainment purpose depending on the type of video. If it's a casual LP then it could be for causal watchers who just like the entertainment aspect, maybe the humour etc. Others may watch them for general help and tips etc. All in all I don't think it's essentially "stealing", Youtubers are actually entertaining in some fashion and if they are providing good content for a wide range of viewers that benefit the site itself then they should get a percentage of the profit. The Youtubers are essentially what drives the site and the visitor count, if LPers and such are bringing in a good amount of views and visits then they should be rewarded in some fashion.

I may not agree with the extent of which "some" Youtubers benefit from such content but I think it's unfair to act in this manor. At the end of the day these Youtubers are not just benefiting the site but they are actually benefiting Nintendo , I can guarantee that many LPers have actually influenced many viewers to buy multiple Nintendo products.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm not saying that your point is invalid, it's just not exactly on the same line as mine (I'm thinking of the effect on Nintendo, not weather it makes the LPers "childish") but regardless of if you agree with the situation or not, Nintendo are throwing away a piece of free advertising.

No, they aren't, the people that will act like crybabies and refuse to do LP's on their first party titles will be. I swear, gamers today are so overly sensitive and react to the dumbest things, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Nintendo. Why? I don't know. Probably because Ninty is the popular company to hate among the mainstream market. It's sickening, really.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, they aren't, the people that will act like crybabies and refuse to do LP's on their first party titles will be. I swear, gamers today are so overly sensitive and react to the dumbest things, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Nintendo. Why? I don't know. Probably because Ninty is the popular company to hate among the mainstream market. It's sickening, really.
So less advertising is a good thing for Nintendo then?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I don't see the big deal if big name LPers don't make as much money. OH NO, PEWDIEPIE ISN'T GOING TO MAKE A LIVING OFF OF HALF ASSED LPS! =0. For the work needed to put in an LP--yes even for most big name LPers--the amount of money the receive for it is ridiculous. And if people are LPing just for the money, they really shouldn't be LPing at all. It's really not that time consuming to the point where they simply can't get a job in addition to LPing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom