• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New Item Combinations

Twilight Princess gave us the awesome bomb arrows, an inclusion that everyone seemed to love but hasn't been seen since.

So two things-

Which items in Zelda would you love to combine to make a more useful one?

Would you like to see more item combinations in future Zelda games?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Item combinations are awsome, they make games more customizable, easier to use alout of times, and overall a more fun game to play, although at the moment i cant think of a logical combination that would make gameplay easier.

Well, I've been thinking about the implementation of this idea for quite some time now and have even gone as far as to include it in my story development, for those of you who recall my Cardinal Kingdom idea...

Anyway, I thought about combinations and how that would essentially create options for the players and since options would be available I figured there could be less items/weapons while at the same time still having a lot to work with.

For instance, here are a few basic weapons:
Deku Sticks
Rope
Deku Nuts (Zelda's variant- my idea utilized a co-op optional design)
Bow and Arrow
Crossbow and Arrow (Zelda's variant)
Kokiri Bottles- resemble test tubes, but are smaller in size, used for containing Chu Juice (the remnants of ChuChus)
Fishhook (item from the Trinket pouch, used in Adventure pouch)

Now, just for an example of combinations:
Acquiring Deku Sticks grants Link use of Stone Arrowheads (the basic form of Arrowhead). So Deku Stick + Arrowhead (through the use of Rope) = Deku Spear
Zelda acquires Deku Nuts at the same time Link gets Deku Sticks. So Deku Nuts + Rope = Deku Chain (weighted mechanism to trip enemies)
*possible upgrades in side quest*

Or Deku Stick + Fishhook (through Rope) = Line and Rod

But the real beauty comes with the bows:
As I've mentioned, Stone Arrowheads can be collected (on forest floors), while Steel Arrowheads are infused with silver (homage to Silver Arrows) for effectiveness against a Morphos (monster race). But, given Stone Arrowheads grooves, they are perfect for dipping into Chu Juice- which comes in a variety of Red Chu, Dark Chu, and Yellow Chu.
Red Chus emit an attractive aroma (similar to the Reekfish idea in TP) which can lure certain enemies to one particular spot. Bait Arrows
Yellow Chus, as we all know are electric-based (WW example) and can electrocute an target, stunning enemies in some cases. Static Arrows
Dark Chus are purple in color and emit toxic gas when they are near. Using their juice can poison a foe, depending on size variation and quantity of arrows, killing them. Poison Arrows
So by simply equipping the bow, you'll be able to cycle through your Arrowhead selection (ala WW style) and the amount of Chu Juice you possess determines your variations.

But there's more!

Equip your bow, then combine it with Rope, and once you obtain the Steel Fishhook (with a three-pronged mechanism), you now have a new version of the Grappling Hook!
*shoot any target and swing from its support, or climb up the Rope...you can even shoot enemies! Pull them to their death, or literally pull them toward you (Scorpion, Mortal Kombat, style)
*But only lightweight Fishhooks will work, which means there's plenty room for upgrades. And Fishhooks can also be combined with Chu Juice (for fishing purposes, hopefully)

And that's not even all of my game's item list. The combinations go on!

A boomerang bomb. Ballin. Arrows with deku nut attached. Stun and kill all in one.

Not that I'm opposed to the whole stunning and killing thing. *See my weapon combination for details* I feel like what you meant by that last statement was stun or kill, but how I interpreted it was both at the same time. Which begged the question, what's the point of stunning if it's already dead?

I don't have a particular weapon combination in mind. Instead I thought of an idea that builds off the option to add a magical element to one's weapons in RPGs. As an example, I'll use arrows. Aside from what we're accustomed to - the traditional fire, ice, and light arrows - Link could have other elements at his disposal such as darkness, lightning, and wind. Darkness would disorient the enemy; lightning would have stun properties, and wind would create a spiraling vortex along the trajectory of the arrow. Along with the elements, the arrows could also receive buffs (power-ups), such as explosive arrows - a combination of the bomb arrow and fire element. The ability to add elemental attributes to Link's stock-based weapons/items is not exclusive to arrows - ice, fire, and light bombs are just a few other examples I can think of that revolve around this concept...

I don't have a particular weapon combination in mind. Instead I thought of an idea that builds off the option to add a magical element to one's weapons in RPGs. As an example, I'll use arrows. Aside from what we're accustomed to - the traditional fire, ice, and light arrows - Link could have other elements at his disposal such as darkness, lightning, and wind. Darkness would disorient the enemy; lightning would have stun properties, and wind would create a spiraling vortex along the trajectory of the arrow. Along with the elements, the arrows could also receive buffs (power-ups), such as explosive arrows - a combination of the bomb arrow and fire element. The ability to add elemental attributes to Link's stock-based weapons/items is not exclusive to arrows - ice, fire, and light bombs are just a few other examples I can think of that revolve around this concept...

I'm not opposed to the utilization of magic attacks, but to make them all be disposable through the arrow makes it seem the player may be too relient on the collection of arrows or any other weapon with these variations. Seems almost like a quiver full of special arrows, which is fine, but the way I went about incorporating magic in The Cardinal Kingdom was with the inclusion of Zelda as a playable character.
Her powers consist of:
Nayru's Shield -a diamond that appears, reflecting projectiles and otherwise shielding (ala Super Smash Bros)

Goddess Blast -a light blue hand energy, wielded in both hands, that has the force of a sword beam (SS)

Din's Inferno -a large red fire ball (ala Super Smash Bros) serving as the fire variant to the Goddess Blast

Farore's Cyclone -Zelda's version of the spin attack, charging a green vortex that can travel between up to 3 enemies (similar to Deadpool's capability in Marvel Alliance)

Rauru's Light -spell that turns day into night and vise versa by emitting a bright ball of light, which also disorients surrounding enemies (flash grenade-style/Sheik's Deku Nut vanishing act)

Bokoblin Curse -a dark purple energy that when blasted with, turns enemies into allies

and Jabun's Mirror -a circular wall of water produced that when deactivated, falls like a bucket of water (for watering purposes)

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this in regards to my arrow implementation!

There are also Flint Arrowheads (made specifically as fire-starters) that when shot at a target, ignite into flame. Fire Arrows

Not that I'm opposed to the whole stunning and killing thing. *See my weapon combination for details* I feel like what you meant by that last statement was stun or kill, but how I interpreted it was both at the same time. Which begged the question, what's the point of stunning if it's already dead?

I didn't think about it, but either it would make for a cool visual death or it could just stun, but from longer range, then you run up and kill it.

I didn't think about it, but either it would make for a cool visual death or it could just stun, but from longer range, then you run up and kill it.

Yeah, I kind of understand what you mean. I had that visual display in mind as well, but for me rendering of arrows. I bet the sort of combination you have in mind would be a kind of weapon against stronger enemies like Moblins or something that would require them being stunned for a certain amount of time, allowing you to pass by (like the hookshot/longshot did it OoT). And it just so happens that arrows kill a lot of basic enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom