• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

New 3DS Zelda-my Thoughts

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Hey all,
I just want to start out by saying that I'm really glad Nintendo's making a new 3DS Zelda. I think they made the right choice in holding off on MM3D (if it exists) and going for a new title.

Now, I would like to give you my thoughts on what it might be. Aonuma has confirmed that it will not be the style of PH and ST, so all the casual haters can breathe a sigh of relief. He also told us that it would be more on-par with the style of a console Zelda title.

Now, with that said, I don't think that Nintendo will make a game that has the EXACT same style as the console Zeldas. I think (and hope) that Nintendo will keep the handheld titles distinguished from the console titles. That was why the handhelds were fun; they had new gameplay styles that made them fun and memorable. Now, obviously, the 3DS has much more power than the original DS, enough to handle a full-scale Zelda game (as proved with OoT3D). What would Nintendo make if it's not going to be console-like OR DS-like? My answer: Super Mario 3D Land.

I know it's a strange answer, but hear me out. Nintendo could have easily made a Galaxy-esque Mario title for the 3DS: but they didn't. Why? In my opinion, it was to make the game feel fresh. Games like Call of Duty are constantly ripped on because the gameplay is almost always the same. If Nintendo only made Mario games that were exactly like Galaxy from here on out, it would become incredibly boring over time because every game would feel the same. With Super Mario 3D Land, not only is Nintendo creating a great new installment for the Mario series, they're making it feel fresh at the same time.

Now, as Nintendo approaches a new Zelda for the 3DS, I think they will look at it with the same attitude: making the game genuinely Zelda while making it vastly unique from the other games. While I can't begin to imagine what the gameplay could be like, I know Nintendo could.

So, after hearing my thoughts, I'd like to hear yours. What do you think Nintendo should do with this next Zelda game?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I say it'll be more like the "traditional" 3D console style. You know, the view behind Link, button mashing for the sword, stuff like that, only with some new features unique to the touch screen. Exactly what that would be, I don't know. But I don't think it should be like SM 3D Land. That'd be more like the old overhead style too much. I think it's time handheld Zelda titles moved on to what used to be the console style, just like when the console style switched to 3D. That's just my opinion, though.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I think the style will be similar as OoT3D was. And by that, I mean behind Link as opposed to above. Something different that I personally would like them to add would be something like if they included the beetle or a similar item and had you go first person view and turned the 3DS to move it around similar to what they did to te slingshot/bow and arrow.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I say it'll be more like the "traditional" 3D console style. You know, the view behind Link, button mashing for the sword, stuff like that, only with some new features unique to the touch screen. Exactly what that would be, I don't know. But I don't think it should be like SM 3D Land. That'd be more like the old overhead style too much. I think it's time handheld Zelda titles moved on to what used to be the console style, just like when the console style switched to 3D. That's just my opinion, though.
Right, I didn't exactly mean to say that the the gameplay would be like 3D Land's, but it would be innovative like 3D Land. You know, like straying away from typical Zelda and creating a new gameplay style that is still fun. Sorry if that was confusing.

I would like a completely new graphical style and a game at least as complex in overworld and dungeons as the N64 Zelda games.

Or are you implying that Skyward Sword will begin a new era for console Zelda games?

A nice game that included every square 20 feet covering like the old games, yet with good graphics, and the view is console zelda style with the old weapons, unlike those few weapons like a boomerang, a bow and arrows, bombs, 3-2 other weapons that dont have a bunch of the old ones.

Last edited:

AgentPerry

Hoo hoo hoo!
I was thinking of something with the style of Ocarina of Time 3D, but with some of the features from Skyward Sword like the stamina gauge and the shield durability bar and whatnot. Possibly also having the touch screen acting as an item itself like when using the bow, you slide the stylus downwards and hold to draw, slide left or right to change directions, and release/let go the stylus to fire. Something like that I guess. Dunno if that'll become tedious though, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

EDIT: And with the epicness of Skyward Sword. :)

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Right, I didn't exactly mean to say that the the gameplay would be like 3D Land's, but it would be innovative like 3D Land. You know, like straying away from typical Zelda and creating a new gameplay style that is still fun. Sorry if that was confusing.

Ohhhhh, gotcha. Yeah, I do think it should be something new and unique for the 3DS, but I also think it should stay somewhat traditional. I don't want the old style of Zelda to be completely phased out.

Or are you implying that Skyward Sword will begin a new era for console Zelda games?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom