• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Native American Mythology In Skward Sword

I was in my English class today and we were reading several Native American myths on the creation of the world and such. One myth written by the Huron People tell of how there was a place in the sky where many people lived and sustained immortal life through a fruit that grew on a spirit tree. Now I'm leaving many key parts of the actual myth out but the spirit tree is the only relevant peice of information from the myth for this topic.

My question is, do you think Skwyard Sword got the idea of giving a fruit grown on a "special tree" to the Thunder Dragon to save his life from this specific myth?

I have no doubt in my mind that there are several parts of Skyward Sword that have adopted historical pieces of information and allegory into its plot and scenery and such. However, a Native American myth? To me the Native American Tradition is a piece of history long forgotten and it just seemed far fetched that the makers of Skyward Sword would look into such a specific myth for a part in Skyward Sword.

So what do you guys think?

Feral

The Drifter
It seems to be a recurring theme in many mythologies around the world. I would believe it would have been easier for them to get the ideas from Eastern mythology where they have immortals living in the sky who are curious about the world below them. They also have a peach tree that bears peaches of longevity and immortality. This aside though, it doesn't mean they didn' t get any ideas from native American myths either. The developers are likely to be knowledgeable in myths from around the world.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it may have done. many games have some sort of connection with some type of mythology, whether it be plot wise or just a character name matching the personality of the deity they're named after

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a significant influence, even though the Tree of Life sort of idea is a very common theme in many cultures. However, one of the first things I noticed about the Lanayru region and the robots is how much the designs, patterns and colors (in the past) reminded me of a mix of Aztec, Mayan, and Native American art. Even the music for the area has that shamanistic pan flute-type sound to it. The Maya and Aztecs in particular have also been noted for their highly developed civilizations and technology, which to me partially ties into the inspiration for robots being Lanayru's inhabitants. I always took it as a bit of a given that they were largely based off those cultures, but I didn't know about that particular myth, so it's certainly possible.

I'm also really impressed that they were able to combine so many different cultural inspirations into one story so fittingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom