• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

N64 15th ANIVERSARY CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fig

The Altruist
What's happening forums!

Nintendo Power wrote an article saying that it's already been 15 years since the release of the Nintendo 64! Anyways, I just to say that I'm glad I did not betray Nintendo in the back by switching to an Xbox or PS3. I'm glad I have been sticking with Nintendo since my birthyear! My very first game of all time was Super Mario 64, and I had a blast playing the game. I still have my N64 with epic games such as Super Mario, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Star Fox, Kirby and Pokemon. Tell me your favorite/first game for the N64 was.

If you're reading this, please tell the rest of the forum to come here and discuss gaming's biggest jump in gaming history. This event is honored to be shared throughout the entire forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please also add me for more Nintendo Entertainment.

:):yes::cool::nerd::clap:

Last edited:

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Well happy birthday to the N64, my favorite gaming console! :)

Lots of good memories with the N64 back when I was a kid. My first game was Mario 64. Heck, I still play it now. I'll probably be playing on my 64 until it breaks, of course then I'll switch over to the VC. My favorite games for the N64 are Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo and Tooie.

Ah yes, the N64. It wasn't my first Nintendo console... or my favourite, but it still had a lot going for it. Here are my top 5 reasons the N64 had in comparisons to the other consoles of that era:

5. CONSOLE AFFORDABILITY:
Although N64 cartridges were more expensive than PS1 discs, Nintendo made up for this in the affordability of the console itself. As CD-ROM technology was still fairly new in 1995 when the PS1 and SAT came out, they started out at $300-$400. Whereas the Nintendo 64 at launch was a mere $200 (plus $50-$60 for Mario 64). So while the games may have been a bit pricier, the console itself was much more affordable.

4. NO LOAD TIMES:
Being the first ever major consoles that needed memory cards (though the Saturn could use a main battery) and the relative slowness of the CD-ROM drives, the PS1 and SAT were plagued by loading times which really slowed down the gaming experience. Nintendo knew this and was all the more reason they chose to stick with cartridges for faster smoother and (mostly) load time-free gaming.

3. ALMOST NO NEED FOR MEMORY CARDS OR OTHER ACCESSORIES:
While memory cards are pretty much mandatory on the PS1, most of the blue chip Nintendo 64 games save right on the cartridge and either don't need memory cards at all or make them optional (for example, Mario Kart 64 saves the major stuff like cups and time trial times on the cartridge but you need a memory card for racing ghosts). Not to mention the fact the games save much faster than they do on a memory card based format. Furthermore, most of the Nintendo 64 games (except for Ocarina of Time, F-Zero-X and Super Smash Bros to name a few) don't even use battery backup, so there's no need to worry about the battery dying either. Furthermore, the N64 was the only console with standard four controller support in the Fifth Generation (and so was the GCN in the Sixth Generation); four player support needs an optional accessory on the PS1.

2. DURABLY:
Unlike disc based consoles where the discs must be carefully handled by the edges and kept in their cases (if you don't want them to be scratched all over), cartridges are much more sturdy and if some careless younger gamer just leaves them strung around all over the floor, that's not nearly as big of a deal as if they were discs. Like it or not folks, younger gamers were and are a key part of Nintendo's target demographic and know that they sometimes don't take as good care of games as more experienced, older gamers do. Furthermore, because of the lack of moving parts, Nintendo 64's (and most other cartridge based consoles) are very much built like Tonka trucks, built to last, while the PS1 (and PS2, and PS3...) can get DRE'd just from being bumped the wrong way.

1. COLLECTIBLITY:
Of course, Nintendo wasn't even thinking about it at the time, but now that it's been almost ten years since the end of the Nintendo 64 era, many classic gamers (such as myself) have taken a liking to and are now collecting Nintendo 64 cartridges. For any disc based console, you pretty much have to still have the original cases (or put them in your own jewel cases), but for cartridges, you can just do cartridge only (and go online to read most of the manuals) and just have them in a shelf no problem!

Last edited:
Hard to believe its fifteen yrs since it first hit the shelves.
One of its advantages was it was a very strong and sturdy console.

And its games where cartridges which i always prefer over discs.
The cartridges are strong and are not easily damaged.

And it had some fantastic games like DK64,Maeio 64,Banjo Kajooie,OoT, and Majoras Mask.

Big Octo

=^)
2. DURABLY:
Unlike disc based consoles where the discs must be carefully handled by the edges and kept in their cases (if you don't want them to be scratched all over), cartridges are much more sturdy and if some careless younger gamer just leaves them strung around all over the floor, that's not nearly as big of a deal as if they were discs. Like it or not folks, younger gamers were and are a key part of Nintendo's target demographic and know that they sometimes don't take as good care of games as more experienced, older gamers do. Furthermore, because of the lack of moving parts, Nintendo 64's (and most other cartridge based consoles) are very much built like Tonka trucks, built to last, while the PS1 (and PS2, and PS3...) can get DRE'd just from being bumped the wrong way.
This. I've gone through two Gamecubes, a PS2, and a Wii (Which a got repaired), but the N64's never failed on me. :yes:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Happy anniversary, console that delivered the best games of history (besides Pacman, Pong, GALAGA, etc). There are so many things that made you great, but I think what was the best was your crazily awkward controller. It literally made me left handed for writing, because I couldn't adjust properly. Thanks for that, and thanks for Goldeneye 007/Perfect Dark, Super Mario64/Kart 64, Bomberman TSA/64/Hero, and of course the raer seldas. :3

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Star Fox 64, OoT, MM, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Excitebike, Kirby 64, Paper Mario and of course, the unreleased Earthbound 64. :cool:

And then there is the Wii.

Mario Wario Mario Zelda Mario Metroid Mario Mario Mario Mario Mario Kirby Mario Mario Mario Metroid Mario Mario Mario Zelda

Which one to prefer more of? Of course the Wii, I can get all of those games on VC! And hack my wii for DK 64

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
i feel old now, i was about 6 or 7 when we got one. my cousins played turok 2 on it all the time. i would mostly play pokemon or super mario 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom