• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Theory of the Panning

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
My personal theory of why Skyward Sword was panned by some was because a lot of people expected it to be of equal greatness or better than Ocarina of Time. This caused disappointment, and for people to dislike Skyward Sword. Now don't get me wrong, OoT is a great game, and it was my first and is my favorite Zelda game, and one of my most favorite games in general.

While I was anticipating Skyward Sword, I thought it was going to be good (and it was) but not as good as OoT. I think the reason why a lot of people panned Skyward Sword is because they were expecting it to be like Ocarina of Time, but it just wasn't. This was more than likely caused by people just wanting to relive the feelings of playing through OoT for the first time again, and I don't blame them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Expectations for equal or greater footing on OoT's scale is only part of the panning, I'm afraid. Now, I'm sure the reasoning is different for every fan, but for those that criticized the game in relation to OoT I can see it for being two distinct reasons:

a) They wanted SS to have the Ocarina of Time mind blowing experience, and the game did not deliver.
and
b) They wanted SS to be distinct from OoT yet still relate to the Zelda series, and the game did not deliver.

For the former, and I subscribe to that notion, Skyward Sword just failed to be the OoT of this generation of Zelda experience. I can't pinpoint what it was that made me feel the game wasn't up to par, maybe it was the writing or perhaps other gripes I have with the game have skewed my vision in many more ways than one. Whatever the case may be, SS to me was subpar and wasn't memorable.

For the latter and I also subscribe to the notion, the game just felt like it was too different from any previous Zelda but beyond that, it just didn't have the core values that every Zelda previous, even the ones I (previously) held disdain for [for example, Twilight Princess] had. So in a sense, SS felt like an entirely new IP that isn't worthy of the Legend of Zelda brand name, and part of this is because it couldn't even fulfill the bare minimum: a remnant of Ocarina residing in it.

No matter the case, panning for Skyward Sword isn't entirely due to the great masterpiece of 1998 preceding it, though OoT does play a big part.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I would say this had a sizeable portion of the panning, though most likely not a majority of it. People want the new Zelda games to be as much of an earth-shattering experience (or more) that Ocarina of Time was, and that's understandable but ultimately misguided. You shouldn't be constantly looking backwards and comparing everything about a game to those that came before, you're setting yourself up for disappointment that way. You aren't going to get that OoT mind-blowing experience because there will never be a game like OoT again. OoT, for lack of a better way of phrasing it, got lucky. The basic plot played out like ALttP, but it innovated in several ways that left an indelible mark on the gaming industry. I have a feeling OoT wouldn't be fondly remembered nearly as much had it come out at any other point in time.

Nonetheless, this is still a problem every game after OoT has faced. They are all living underneath its shadow and strive to overcome it, and it is this constant striving that is actually hindering them. I loved TP but this need to usurp OoT was most apparent here. Heck, I've done this for every game until recently, and as such, while I still really like the games, they aren't as great in my mind because I'm always comparing them to OoT. That's why I didn't do that for Skyward Sword. I tempered my enthusiasm for it down right before I played it and went in with a completely neutral mindset, and SS blew me away because of it. Since I wasn't comparing it to OoT anymore I could clearly see the fantastic things the game had to offer.

As to the second point Ventus brings up: Well...... Yeah, what did you think was going to happen? The creators were talking all the time about how SS was going to switch up the Zelda formula, and they delivered. SS feels very fresh in a franchise that was starting to feel stale in many people's eyes, myself included. You wanted change, but you wanted it the same as well. I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it too in this case. For the longest time I heard constant moaning about how TP was far too similar to other games to be good, and now I'm constantly hearing how SS was too different to be good. We as a fanbase are the most bipolar and entitled of any on the planet, and I can see Nintendo getting very frustrated dealing with us.

This post is composed under the correlation I've found between fans whose first game in the series was Ocarina of Time and those who set their expectations too high and were disappointed with Skyward Sword.

Many Zelda fans have an insatiable appetite for that OoT experience. That ravenous appetite can be likened to a drug addiction in the sense that said fans are frantically in search of that same experience - or "high" - in other games in the series. When the games fail to deliver that same "high" said fans are left disappointed. Despite their griping and complaining about how much said games are not OoT, they continue to play them, and will likely continue to play as more games are released - in search of that same high. Unfortunately, that high is unattainable. That same experience will forever haunt said fans, as there is no end to it. Said fans will have to learn to accept that no game will ever be the exact same as OoT, as doing so is the first step to recovery.

In fact... For Nintendo, such a move, as with TP, is counter-intuitive. How can the series progress in any way if the same game is released time after time? Skyward Sword dared to push the envelope and move the series forward, only to be met by hate from a large portion of the Zelda fanbase. This is quite unfortunate, in my opinion. Many fans simply set their expectations for another OoT experience far too high. They were blinded by their obsession (addiction) with OoT and failed to embrace change. I hate to say it, but said fans should give up on the series if they're going to keep looking for that same OoT high. They'll never get that same experience again, I promise...

Garo

Boy Wonder
Personally I think that attempts to blanket a singular reason for widespread trends of negative reaction is a great way to discount and ignore the reasons that a lot of people disliked the game. Is it possible that people simply set their expectations too high? Yes, it's very possible, and probably even likely. But we shouldn't just accept that and then act as if people not liking the game was solely due to their overestimation of the game. Their reasons for not liking it are just as valid for everybody else's reasons for liking it, and it's patently unfair to just ignore those reasons with blanket dismissals like this.

Personally I think that attempts to blanket a singular reason for widespread trends of negative reaction is a great way to discount and ignore the reasons that a lot of people disliked the game. Is it possible that people simply set their expectations too high? Yes, it's very possible, and probably even likely. But we shouldn't just accept that and then act as if people not liking the game was solely due to their overestimation of the game. Their reasons for not liking it are just as valid for everybody else's reasons for liking it, and it's patently unfair to just ignore those reasons with blanket dismissals like this.

Yes. I agree, which is why my post was directed at a specific type of fan...

This post is composed under the correlation I've found between fans whose first game in the series was Ocarina of Time and those who set their expectations too high and were disappointed with Skyward Sword.

... those who were disappointed in Skyward Sword, because it wasn't Ocarina of Time. This seems to be the basis of this thread, but I admit I found the original post to be quite dubious.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Said fans will have to learn to accept that no game will ever be the exact same as OoT, as doing so is the first step to recovery.

This man speaks truth! Speaking as an ex-OoT-addict myself: The grass is truly greener on the other side. It's so freeing not having to compare every game to OoT. I can simply enjoy and appreciate the games presented. Not without criticism, mind you, but my head is clearer now.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Well, OoT was NOT my first game in the series. TP was. Go ahead, point and laugh...

More people should be like my friend who got me into Zelda. She started with OoT, yet she doesnt classify it as one of her favorites. Her favorites are MM, TWW, and...SS. Don't get me wrong, she loves OoT. But she doesnt cling to it like dear life and scoff at every new release and call it inferior.

Whenever you expect a game to be equal or better than previous masterpieces you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Nobody expects Final Fantasy games to be equal to FFVII even though it is seen as the pinnacle of FF.. I don't understand why Zelda fans expect every game to equal OoT, it's just illogical.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Whenever you expect a game to be equal or better than previous masterpieces you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Nobody expects Final Fantasy games to be equal to FFVII even though it is seen as the pinnacle of FF.. I don't understand why Zelda fans expect every game to equal OoT, it's just illogical.

Eh, I don't really care for FFVII, VI was better IMHO.
Regardless, your point is still very valid. I don't expect every game to be better than those before it, I just want generally good games, and Zelda delivers in this respect. The fact that SS is now my favorite is beside the point.

I am one of those people who considers OoT to be the best in the series (and no it wasn't my first Zelda game, LoZ/ALttP were). My problems with SS however, have NOTHING to do with that thank you very much. I didn't want SS to be OoT, I wanted it to be a unique and fun gaming experience. I don't expect each new title to outdo OoT and quite frankly I don't care if it does or not as long as I get a great experience from the game. There are legitimate gripes with SS and it seems SS fanboyish to assume it's because we are all just a bunch of OoT fanboys imo.

Even though OoT is one of my favourite Zelda games, I try to have an open-mind when I'm playing a new release. My reasons for hating SS has nothing to do with me comparing to OoT.

The game is filled to the brim with padding (including a mine cart riding sequence that ends with a boss fight you already beat before which ultimately proves to be completely pointless), you're constantly revisiting areas you've already been to for arbitrary tasks, the world feels largely empty, the plot is practically nonexistent until after the third dungeon, which then begins to feel more like filler, and the game is constantly reminding you of things you already know (camera pans to show you a treasure chest, Fi appears and says, "Master, I have an urgent report; there's a 90% chance there's a treasure chest in this room," you nab the key needed to enter the dungeon boss' room and Fi reminds you every time what the key does).

Ultimately, I can just tell that the developers were literally trying as hard as they could to pad out the experience. Because of this, this isn't a game you can play in short bursts, because unless you plug hours into the game, nothing of interest will happen. And again, the inconsistent art design makes the experience just jarring to look at, because it wants to be realistic like older 3D Zelda games but cartoony like Wind Waker. Almost none of the characters in the game look like they belong in the same world.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I'm afraid that Skyward Sword will join the ranks of Twilight Princess, a game that many people labeled as 'best Zelda game ever,' but after the release excitement wore off, nobody talks about it anymore. Outside of the controls, which some people will say hurts the game, I don't know what the big hook to Skyward Sword is.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
My first Zelda game was Majora's Mask. As my first experience with a Zelda game, it was the game that blew my mind. OoT was not my first, but I kept hearing people say how it was better than MM. So naturally I expected it to be amazing, as people are saying happened with SS. After playing it, I was severely disappointed and I figured it was because I played MM first while most played OoT first. At the moment, that was the case. But as I started analyzing video-games more, I realized that OoT wasn't worse than MM, it was just that MM came after. MM took certain concepts (and perhaps problems) of OoT and increased them or fixed them. This is the case for entertainment in general. You take a concept that is known to work and you change it to some degree, be it extreme or just slightly, to make another good experience. That concept, however, should still be the same at its core. MM in a technical sense could be said to be a better game than OoT, but I believe the majority of people who look at games do not look at them for their time. OoT for its time was a HUGE step in the series. It not only took the concept of Zelda and made it 3D, but it brought about new innovative ways in Zelda concepts and adventure games in general that no one foresaw. And according to my sources, OoT was actually supposed to be a much bigger experience than it brought us, but something went wrong during the development process which made them had to take alot out. So while MM may technically be a better game than OoT, for its time it wasn't as great of an innovation (not to say MM wasn't innovative at all, it was very much so)

I think this is where the misunderstanding comes in. People, like myself, who dislike SS don't dislike it for what it is. SS is a great game if you look at it alone. In fact, if people call SS a bad game in general, I heavily disagree with them. People like me dislike SS for what it could've been. The game does not bring about innovation in its experience, but rather a vague representation of what gaming generally is today. Sure it had motion controls, but with Kinect, PS3's wannbe Wii mechanics AND the Wii itself, that doesn't set the game too far apart. Sure it had new things like making a frog drink water to open a door, but was that so mind-blowingly unexpected from a game with weird things like Zelda? Sure its story goes well and is (arguably) cinematically okay, but stories today and in the past have proven better, both in and out of the Zelda world, this includes in regards to their series and just in their stories alone. When I play Zelda, I don't expect to have a mundane experience. I expect to have an adventure full of exploration, memorable catchy music, and a nice story (after TP, I also began expecting the story to correlate with the rest of the series as it did in WW, TP, PH and ST). Even if the experience isn't the best I've ever had, I expect it to be very high up because that's what Zelda has brought in the past. I didn't get that in SS, so naturally I'm going to be heavily disappointed. SS brought about a new and decent experience, but it isn't that innovative nor creative for its time, which doesn't meet the Zelda standard I and others have come to know from playing other games. This is especially noticing from an important game like SS, which is the prequel to our beloved series. Add that to the fact that SS changed many of the core concepts that Zelda is known to have, the disappointed increased even more.

And I don't understand the concept of people saying "Judging a game based off its predecessors is wrong!" Past games experiences are proof of what a company is capable of. If a company makes a game that is really awesome, why should I accept less? I understand if the games aren't always the best, but they should atleast be at that level or give the atmosphere that they strove to be at that level. If you give me a delicious cake and then give me a cake that tastes like all other cakes, or is simply not up to par with the first one, why is it wrong to say "this is not your best work"? Or maybe you try to make that same cake over and over and over again but you want to give me a new experience so you make a new flavored cake, but the experience of tasting this cake for the first time is not nearly as good as the experience of tasting the first cake. What's more, the cake has flavors that don't flow well with your style of cakes. Why is it wrong for me to say "I didn't enjoy this as much as when I tried your first cake. Please recreate that experience"? The cake thing is getting a bit off topic, but my point is that people use past experiences to judge current experiences all the time. Its called "having a standard." I've been wowed by video-games many a times in my life, a lot of them recently and a lot of them in Zelda. I'm not going to stop expecting that experience. I'm pretty sure it's true to say "making a Zelda game that will wow people exactly like OoT did is so hard it may be impossible" but I also believe that saying "making a game close to OoT's wow factor or atleast striving to get there is an achievable goal" is true as well.

So while SS may be a good game alone, it doesn't really hold when you place it next to other Zelda games. I expected more out of this game simply because its a Zelda game and there's nothing wrong with that. People did indeed expect to have a similar wow factor to OoT, but that's natural considering how important this game is to the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom