• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Rough Pitch for a Convegence of the Timelines

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A convergence can only occur one of two ways, I imagine: If there was some natural law of the fictional Zelda universe which makes it possible, or if there was some divine influence. I think we can rule it out as a natural law in the fabric of space-time – nothing in-game establishes that the timelines should combine after being split. That only leaves divine influence.

In theory, the Triforce, with it's ability to grant any wish, could be used to converge the timelines. This is practically impossible, however. Someone would first have to come to a realization that there are diverging timelines tracing back to the nexus event of Ocarina of Time. I don't think there is a way such a discovery could be made.

But what if it could?

There is only one satisfactory way I could even imagine this working narratively. The Child Timeline has no significant decline of Hyrule it seems, and the Hero of Time actually proves he was from a different timeline. If this was recorded, perhaps he even left behind a memoir or something, and someone discovered these documents, that would be a good way to write an explanation for them using the Triforce to merge the timelines. Why they would be compelled to use the Triforce to do this is beyond me, but I'm sure someone could write something interesting with this premise.

Any other narrative set up would make no sense, because it would be impossible for documents to survive the Great Flood, and the Downfall Timeline is the result of the concept of Multiple Histories, meaning there would be no tangible way to even prove to anyone that they are on a divergent timeline because it's a timeline that was created naturally, not by tampering with time.

The cop out way to shoehorn a convergence would be to pin it on the gods. One day they just decided to merge everything. I think the premise I set up is more interesting.

For the record, I don't think BotW is the result of a convergence.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
hmmm
I think converging timelines could even be used as a way to reintroduce ganondorf from timelines in which he's been permanently sealed, meaning converging timelines could be the plot of a villain who succeeds ooooo

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I like the idea of the Hero of Time having a memoir. I think that what would happen is that someone would find it and be curious enough about the Adult Timeline to go back and see what happens. He (or she) then witnesses Ganon returning, and the subsequent flooding of Hyrule. Said wielder of the Triforce then tries to stop it from happening, creating even more discrepancies.

I also think that the Downfall Timeline is its own thing and since it was created by actual events and not tampering with time, it couldn't come together in a convergence.

Mikey the Moblin

ZD Champion
I like the idea of the Hero of Time having a memoir. I think that what would happen is that someone would find it and be curious enough about the Adult Timeline to go back and see what happens. He (or she) then witnesses Ganon returning, and the subsequent flooding of Hyrule. Said wielder of the Triforce then tries to stop it from happening, creating even more discrepancies.

I also think that the Downfall Timeline is its own thing and since it was created by actual events and not tampering with time, it couldn't come together in a convergence.
triforce can do anything, it's literally deus ex machina
think of it as creating a new timeline entirely but incorporating each timeline as a blueprint and just kind of overlapping them

There is only one satisfactory way I could even imagine this working narratively. The Child Timeline has no significant decline of Hyrule it seems, and the Hero of Time actually proves he was from a different timeline. If this was recorded, perhaps he even left behind a memoir or something, and someone discovered these documents, that would be a good way to write an explanation for them using the Triforce to merge the timelines. Why they would be compelled to use the Triforce to do this is beyond me, but I'm sure someone could write something interesting with this premise.

Not possible. We know thanks to Hyrule Historia and the Japanese intro for Majora's Mask that the Hero of Time was forgotten in the Child Timeline.

And doing this leaves many, many questions;

1) Why would someone want to?(as you said)

2) What survives? In the World of BotW, is Calamity Ganon Ganondorf I or II and which version of Ganon I if it is him (as BotW implies and CaC more or less confirms) since his history post-OoT had some big differences depending on which branch, how was Hyrule both eradicated and not at the same time, etc.

3) Why would Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot? Three timelines have more story possibilities than one. That way you can have the Adult Timeline where Hyrule Kingdom and Ganon are eradicated by the Triforce(a permanent consequence that you can have happen without problems if you have multiple timelines), The Downfall Timeline where Ganon constantly returns to bring destruction to Hyrule(a simple story well suited for most of the 2D titles(and BotW... #downfallplacementftw :) ), that are not as story driven as some of the bigger budget titles), and The Child Timeline where he's prevented from coming to power completely(which gives off ''soft reboot'' esque vibes while still keeping the current canon in existence).

4) Why wouldn't Breath of the Wild mention this convergence event happening?

Mikey the Moblin

ZD Champion
3) Why would Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot? Three timelines have more story possibilities than one. That way you can have the Adult Timeline where Hyrule Kingdom and Ganon are eradicated by the Triforce(a permanent consequence that you can have happen without problems if you have multiple timelines), The Downfall Timeline where Ganon constantly returns to bring destruction to Hyrule(a simple story well suited for most of the 2D titles(and BotW... #downfallplacementftw :) ), that are not as story driven as some of the bigger budget titles), and The Child Timeline where he's prevented from coming to power completely(which gives off ''soft reboot'' esque vibes while still keeping the current canon in existence).
this is a good point

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
Not possible. We know thanks to Hyrule Historia and the Japanese intro for Majora's Mask that the Hero of Time was forgotten in the Child Timeline.
Not entirely. When Link came back to the child timeline and told Zelda what had happened, apparently this was convincing enough and Zelda had enough authority to lead to Ganondorf's (failed) execution pre TP.
If this tale was passed down among the royal family, one of them may have used it to reconverge the timelines thinking it was the cause of Hyrule's problem or something equally dumb.

Not entirely. When Link came back to the child timeline and told Zelda what had happened, apparently this was convincing enough and Zelda had enough authority to lead to Ganondorf's (failed) execution pre TP.
If this tale was passed down among the royal family, one of them may have used it to reconverge the timelines thinking it was the cause of Hyrule's problem or something equally dumb.

The Japanese version of Majora's Mask said that the Hero of Time ''faded from legend''.

Over time, sure. But that doesn't mean some of his deeds weren't remembered for a short time.
A ''short time'', maybe, but even if so, there is a long time between MM and FSA, not to mention that HH says he's forgotten by TP. So how would this hypothetical person get this info after FSA, assuming SMS is right about the convergence originating on the CT?

A ''short time'', maybe, but even if so, there is a long time between MM and FSA, not to mention that HH says he's forgotten by TP. So how would this hypothetical person get this info after FSA, assuming SMS is right about the convergence originating on the CT?
In the English translation of MM, it says the legend of Hero of Time was closely kept by the Royal Family. The royal family seems very active in FSA considering they remember about the Four Sword, which was a legend passed down since before Ocarina of Time.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

And doing this leaves many, many questions;

1) Why would someone want to?(as you said)

2) What survives? In the World of BotW, is Calamity Ganon Ganondorf I or II and which version of Ganon I if it is him (as BotW implies and CaC more or less confirms) since his history post-OoT had some big differences depending on which branch, how was Hyrule both eradicated and not at the same time, etc.

4) Why wouldn't Breath of the Wild mention this convergence event happening?
Yeah I'm not saying this is perfect, I honestly agree with you that the Downfall Timeline works best for BotW. This was more a thought exercise on if someone was hired to write a way to explain a convergence of the timeline, what is the best way to do set this up narratively? I feel like something along the lines of what I came up with is the best solution to such a task, but it'd need to be fleshed out a lot more, such as with a motive for the action. But I think anything someone might come up with would feel really cheesy.

Addressing point 2, a friend of mine posited recently that it could work as a recessive/dominant trait format. There would be some things from a timeline that matter enough to be remembered, and others that wouldn't even though they still technically happened. It's a really unstable concept.

Last edited:
Forgotten Royal Family archives, perhaps? Or maybe a being of supernatural longevity passes on the tale. The story is forgotten, but eventually resurfaces thanks to a surviving account with enough evidence or detail to be considered legitimate.

I'm just playing the Devil's advocate of course, I'm not in on the convergence train myself.

Forgotten Royal Family archives, perhaps? Or maybe a being of supernatural longevity passes on the tale. The story is forgotten, but eventually resurfaces thanks to a surviving account with enough evidence or detail to be considered legitimate.

I'm just playing the Devil's advocate of course, I'm not in on the convergence train myself.

That's all fanfic with no evidence to support it. Not buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom