• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Overrated Zelda Game

tfw games which were considered underrated at a point are now overrated...

I don't believe in the "Zelda cycle" in the traditional sense; I've always found the notion that the fanbase goes from adoration to hatred of any Zelda game fairly ridiculous.

I would say I believe in a "cycle" when it comes to the 3D games and what the current fanbase considers to be the best. Back when I joined this place around 14 or so, I'd hazard a guess that kids around my age (14-18) were in quite a few number when it came to the Zelda internet fandom. Because of our age, OoT was more often than not our first 3D Zelda game, and you tend to always consider your favorite game in a series to be the first one you played.

Like I said above, we currently seem to be at that point in the "cycle" where WW was the first for a good deal of the Zelda internet fandom. People always said back in 2008 or whatever that OoT was clearly overrated. It probably isn't a coincidence that it seems to, for this forum at least, to have shifted to WW these days. This is on top of its inherent controversial elements, such as the massive gameplay changes and the radically different art style.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
This is a tough question. I really don't think I have an answer.

I can't say Ocarina of Time, because to me that is still the greatest game ever made, so no amount of hype will ever be "too much".

I can't say Skyward Sword, because that game doesn't get more praise than it deserves. I haven't met very many people that consider it the best Zelda game, and most people I talk to actually think it sucks. Which it does.

I can't say Wind Waker, because that game got incredible amounts of hate when it released, with what the visual art-style and "kiddie" presentation. Eventually people saw it for what it was, but it was never overhyped.

I guess I would say Twilight Princess. Though I'm not sure even that's right. Not a lot of people were ranting and raving about it. Although it did make people cry real tears when it was shown in E3. I guess that's what's pushing my vote for Twilight. The fact that people cried when it was announced, and it ended up being just an above average game.

It's would be redundant for me to even say it, so instead I'll predict what will probably be overrated in the future, if that's ok.

SS Has a pretty good chance for getting overrated one day, if WW is any indication.

ALBW too, it's a great game, but it also has nostalgia with it for a lot of fans.

And who want's to bet that Zelda U will be over praised for a bit? Though it could go the other way, too, if it gets too much hype.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Definitely Ocarina, it's not uncommon to hear it being practically deified in some way be it by journalists or to some extent even by fans, even though it marked the start of a lot of bad habits the 3D games still carry to this day like having practically free shields that block everything without a trade-off at all. I still think it does a lot of things better than pretty much every Zelda that followed it: it still has, in my opinion, the best dungeon lineup as far as the 3D games go and it single-handedly made me interested on Ganondorf as a character.

I feel tempted to say TP mostly because for some reason I never hear its story being criticized, event though it managed the impressive feat of making Ganondorf boring as a character. I admit though that I don't have the big picture, so I don't know if this has been mentioned before. Also I'm genuinely surprised Wind Waker has been mentioned as much in this thread, I do know it has some really vocal fans but I thought the majority of people even outside of this forum crapped on it. Guess I don't look at the right places. lol

th

Say too many people though this was an amazing game. Such an overated game. The game is average at the very most. I personally think the game is utter garbage but I can understand if someone called the game average. Masterpiece? You're dreaming if you think this game is a masterpiece.

I kinda hated Ocarina

I'll say beforehand that I understand that it was revolutionary at the time, and maybe that's the reason why I wasn't able to like it. I didn't grow up with it, I purchased it much later on Virtual Console after hearing so much hype.

And it felt flat, and dull, and colourless. It seemed to lack the magic and adventure and whimsy that I loved in all the other Zeldas.

However, I DID consider Majora's Mask a MASSIVE improvement on Ocarina. Despite the fact that it was a smaller game, it felt much more like a real Zelda and I really was able to enjoy playing through it.

But then again, that's just my opinion. And its not right or wrong to like the game, its just what I think.

Last edited:
The "fanbase" still adores OoT, as we should. There are and always will be people who don't enjoy it of course. That doesn't mean they are the grown up ones.

Seriously, what a ****ed up thing to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom