• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Overrated Zelda Game

What is the most overrated zelda game in your opinion? Not the worst, but overrated.

For me it's WW with TP close behind.

OoT is the easiest answer, obviously. There are quite a few video game series that suffer from "first 3D game" nostalgia, with quite a few fans always proclaiming the first 3D installment to be the best (the most prominent being Final Fantasy VII with Super Mario 64 among others). It's still my favorite in the series, but I believe that it was objectively beaten by its own sequel just two years later.

The blind love for OoT seems to have died down these days though, which is probably a result of the fanbase aging.

The more difficult answer is probably WW, to be honest. It seems like it's in that phase where it was a lot of people's first Zelda game, so it's the personal favorite of a lot of people. That of course leads it to being declared as like the best game of all time by those fans, which I don't think can even be close to objectively true. If I'm ranking the greatest games of all time, WW is lucky to even snuff the top of the Zelda series, let alone all of gaming.

I also think a lot of people are biased in favor of its unique look and art style, which is pretty ironic given its initial reception. It's just a given rule in marketing that you'll take notice of something that sticks out from the crowd, which WW definitely does with its over-the-top cell shading. I think this creates an innate bias for it because it just looks so nice and bright, and it sticks in people's memory while some other crippling design flaws don't.

This is just my thoughts and observations though. I know this topic is going to be pretty sensitive to some people, haha.

Please don't kill me.

I think that Ocarina of Time is severely overrated when compared to future games. I will acknowledge that you cannot overstate its impact on 3D games, but in terms of how good the game is today, it's simply not absolute perfection like the status to which the game is held would lead you to believe. It's still a good game with some great design, but not much more.

OoT and Majora's. Amazing games but I wouldn't put them in the top 10 of gaming like a lot of lists put them.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Tri Force Heroes. The only reason it got even as high as 73 on metacritic is because of the Zelda brand.
Triforce Heroes was a great game.
Hell, if it didn't have the Zelda brand, then it probably would be in the high 80s. Triforce Heroes is a good game through and through, and for what it is. Furthermore, barely anyone holds Triforce Heroes as "the best Zelda game ever".

Twilight Princess is the most overrated. It has one of the weakest narratives of any of the 3D Zelda games(though the additions to the Korea were nice), it has aged the worst, it was a giant rehash of Ocarina of Time, it is just as linear as Skyward Sword, it's world is empty, it's items were very gimmicky and are "one shots", it lacks character progression, it was way too easy, and it had some of the most bland and shohorned characters in the series(such as Zelda, Illia, Rusl to name a few). I love TP, but it is the most uninspired 3D Zelda game so far.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
WW, holy ****. If you DARE speak out against the graphical style you instantly get labelled a "graphics whore" (in fact when I first joined there was someone [a HK I think] that did exactly that in almost every thread). Also Ocarina of Time but obvious answer is obviously obvious.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'd have to agree that Ocarina of Time is very overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing game. It's just not the glorious, flawless masterpiece it's been made out to be.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A Link to the Past. It's not just a bad Zelda game, it's a bad game period. I didn't like it when I was a kid and I don't like it now. The gameplay is garbage due to mindless combat and overbearing limitations being the core gameplay with a complete lack of puzzles and a boring overworld. I can get through some games, like Xenoblade Chronicles, even with their dull combat and boring overworld because of the story, but aLttP doesn't even have that.

The dungeon requirement, poor gameplay, and lack of interesting story makes it a poor game for exploration, which is unfortunately forced onto the player too many times due to a lack of direction. Honestly, it was the exploration that turned boredom into pure hatred for this game. I've played the game three times, trying desperately to enjoy it, but each time I find myself just wanting to get through it, but being forced to waste time, running around aimlessly in the boring overworld because I missed some sidequest that I apparently had to do, despite there being no indication to do so.

The game focused so much on exploration, but that was easily its weakest aspect. Exploration only works if is free and/or has an interesting world that makes you want to explore. A Link to the Past had neither of these. The lore, story, and character were minimal and the item requirement, in addition to its dungeons made the game too restrictive for exploration to feel fun.

Last edited:
The Gamecube version of The Wind Waker. The re-make is near-perfect but the Gamecube version had the Triforce Quest and really slow sailing. It's a great game overall, but I think it's gotten a massive amount of hype once most people discovered it's art style was quite progressive. For a lot of people, playing it again was a new experience, but I always appreciated the art style, so I'm used to it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Probably WW. It's fun but every single dungeon sucks, sailing is a drag, fetch quests, etc....
I say Wind Waker too. I felt Twilight Princess was a little overrated too. People were saying it had a huge overworld. It's overworld was decent but came short of my expectations. Just in general it was hyped up to be better than it was.

Though Skyward Sword takes the cake by far in my book. I realize not too many people like it anymore but in 2011 it was overhyped, almost everyone was saying it was really good. People obsessed over it's motion controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom