• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler More "Rivals" In Zelda Games

Hero of Time!

Darkrut
I was just wondering your opinions on this topic.

My view is yes i would, I loved Groose in Skyward Sword
He was kinda like that character you loved to hate, yet hate to love
I felt near the end of Skyward Sword right before the battle with demise when Groose ran into action to catch Zelda and told me everything was ok
I felt this weird loving compassion for him.

But anyway, tell me what you think on this topic:wolf:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I wouldn't call Groose a rival...he drops the role early on. Ralph was nice though, I wouldn't mind seeing more characters like him.

Hero of Time!

Darkrut
I agree lol, that mostly why i put rival in quotations, Because when i mean "rival" i mean that significant other in a Zelda game that is not the Villain but is kinda like, for lack of a better word, "Jerk" in Zelda games

I want to see the return if Dark Link, but as a fully-fleshed out character this time. Also, his sword should resemble the fan-named Anti-Master Sword from Skyward Sword.

One concern I have, however, is with the cliched nature of the whole "dark twin, light twin" theme, even if they not twins. Nintendo would have to find a way to implement Dark Link into the series without going the cliched route in regards to the plot. One way of doing this would be to connect him [Dark Link] to Demon Lord Ghirahim somehow. That way, he'd be more connected to Fi (the Master Sword) than to Link himself.

...or something.

Late...

I agree lol, that mostly why i put rival in quotations, Because when i mean "rival" i mean that significant other in a Zelda game that is not the Villain but is kinda like, for lack of a better word, "Jerk" in Zelda games

Oh... <. <

Hero of Time!

Darkrut
I agree with you their a fully fleshed out Dark Link would be a creative and great idea. I would also like the connection between Demise or Ghirahim and him... It could be very Interesting...

I always found ralph and grooses dialouge to be kinda annoying. I'm gonna say no unless nintendo can do it right.... and i don't think they can based on their previous efforts.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
A punk rival like in Pokemon? No. It doesn't fit the spirit of the Zelda franchise.

Groose is a very underdeveloped characters. Yes, he switches sides allying himself with Link but that's as far as his tale goes. Sure, seeing him unofficially name Hyrule "Grosseland" was funny the first time but his cheap humor got old fast. Groose's comical sprint towards Zelda in the Sealed Ground at game's end broke the tension of Demise's appearance, for example.

Enough silly anime influence. I love anime but Nintendo tried to forcefully shove it into Skyward Sword with characters like Groose and Ghirahim. Teenage drama and and a caped demon with a long tongue don't interest me.

I'd prefer if Nintendo further explored Link's antithesis, Dark Link. There's a hidden gold mine in connecting his character with the Dark Tribe as Twilight Princess teased.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Sure. I liked Groose well enough to want to have them put in another character like him; Someone to lighten the mood when things became kinda heavy. Just as long as they don't swallow too much of the spotlight, then I'd definitely be cool with someone like him or Ralph.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Groose's comical sprint towards Zelda in the Sealed Ground at game's end broke the tension of Demise's appearance, for example.

There WAS no tension - he blew Zelda away (who was practically lifeless might I add), but did absolutely nothing else to create any tension. If anything, Groose enhanced that scene.

Anyway, yes, I want more rivals. Make them like Ralph in Ages where they're game-long, but have them more human/believable like Groose in SS.

Yes.
There should be a moment where Link actually faces his rival in a sword battle.

As for the idea of Dark Link not being the "dark twin"... I don't agree, because, as the name suggests, he's SUPPOSED to be the dark twin. If anything I see Dark Link being created by Ganon or some other villain specifically to fight Link by basing him on Link's fighting style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom