• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda More or Less Rupees?

More or Less Rupees?

• More

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
We all know that Zelda games are not famous for their currency system and most of the time rupees can just be dead weight rather than actually meaning something.

Now I know that this in a way it doesn't matter, with how much rupees are given in the game, because at the end of the day it all comes down to what currency actually means, in terms of how important it is. However we have seen quite a contrast in games with what the common rupee is actually worth, games like Ocarina of Time there were a lot less rupees that the player could hold and spend. However in games like Skyward Sword and the Wind Waker the player could gain a huge amount of rupees, with the maximum amounts exceeding 5000.

So which option is the better, should we be given a large excess of rupees or make them scarce?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, Skyward Sword did a pretty good job pacing out how many rupees could be held at a time with its wallet upgrades, and these upgrades coincided with what could be bought at certain points in the game, to boot. So... I'd say just repeat what Skyward Sword did. It was excellent, after all. If it works, go with it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Both WW and SS had a great rupee system.

I can't say I agree about TWW. It had POTENTIAL for great rupee use, but the world gives literally infinite amounts of resources through pots and grass, so there's never a point in buying anything. Then it decides to pull a cheap move and have you spend a buttload deciphering the Triforce Charts. It's one of the weakest systems if you ask me, and that's really saying something, given how poorly Zelda's been known to manage its rupee use.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
It depends on what they do, really. If they add more things to buy, then more rupees would be necessary. Other than that, how often do you really buy something in a Zelda game (unless it's a required item.)

I'd say that the whole thing is sort of messed up. If you think about it, each wallet can hole a certain "amount" of rupees Right? Well there are different colored rupees which determine their value(E.G. Green = 1 rupee, Blue = 5, Red = 20 etc). So, I'd say, "Should there be an extra set of numbers to show the total amount of currency as well as how many rupees you have.". To answer the question at hand, I think IF it comes down to it, it really depends on the set up.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
More. Being rich makes me feel awesome.

However, usually when they have a ton of rupees, you end up having to do something that costs a HUGE ton of money... like in Wind Waker.

On the other hand, though, sometimes my wallet will fill up too quickly and I'll have nothing to spend it on.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
More. Being rich makes me feel awesome.

This pretty much. The key is balance. Money sinks should include upgrades and various cosmetics; items which are required could possibly cost some bling as well (I recall having to buy the Boomerang in Minish Cap, which to my knowledge was optional but the gist is the same). Regardless, I love having a lot of money even if it's at early game.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
It doesn't really matter how much they give you, just that the rupees have value. So it would be perfect in games with a very few amount of rupees for items to cost less rupees, but still be worth something. And in games like SS where they give you a butt-ton of rupees, things should cost a high amount of rupees, to match the number they provide you. Either way, the player should be forced to work for their rupees, so that when you open a chest of rupees, you'll feel like you actually gained something, that the rupees have value other than, "oh great...more rupees". And this can be true of both games with more or less rupees. So the number of rupees doesn't matter, just that they are proportionately valuable.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It honestly depends on the rupee system. A good rupee system would require excess rupees with lots of use, whereas poor rupee systems have excess rupees with little use. You can have a good rupee system with scarce rupees with little use, as it would only make sense

Quite honestly, when it boils down to rupees, the franchise should follow in the footsteps of TWW and SS.

Doesnt make a difference to me, ive never needed to use rupees, the only time i have was the Triforce quest in WW but then i enjoyed the grind.
I usually just use the rupees post game to buy things like the magic armour in TP which then bleeds rupees, but yeah, i dont use them so wont miss them if they ended up being scarce

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom