• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft to Reportedly Drop Xbox One DRM

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In_time you have it in the right head ! Xbox Live is FAR SUPERIOR to SucksStation Network ! Continue to support the absolutely GENEROUS Microsoft ! LONG LIVE MICROSOFT!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So...if Nintendo doesn't allow DRM...and MS doesn't allow DRM...and Sony lets the developer decide...PS4 is the only system with DRM?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So...if Nintendo doesn't allow DRM...and MS doesn't allow DRM...and Sony lets the developer decide...PS4 is the only system with DRM?

Who said M$ doesn't allow DRM? They're just dropping their stupid 24 hour restrictions and mandatory lack of used games.

I mean YES ! Sony is the only one who has DRM ! Those dastards - how could they ?!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Who said M$ doesn't allow DRM? They're just dropping their stupid 24 hour restrictions and mandatory lack of used games.

Well last I checked there was only one difference between the two...

Sony: Default option is no DRM, but you can have DRM.

MS: Default option is DRM, but you can opt out.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Sony themselves aren't imposing any DRM, games themselves still have that right should their developers choose to do so.
The same was/is true about the X1, except before the X1 itself imposed its own DRM.

edit:
DRM just means digital rights management. And can come in many forms.

Most notably in the past games on PC would install everything to your computer anyways, but then require the disk in the cd drive to play them, even though it wasn't reading any data from it.

Infact PS3 did the same did it not? Installed games, but then still required disk in the drive? Didn't own a PS3 so i'm not sure how that worked out entirely.

The DRM the X1 wanted to impose was the constant internet connection, because after all if they can't see you, you must be doing something shady right?

more edit:

of course thats why you downloaded modifed .exes of the game clients that didnt' check for the CD, so you didn't have to bother putting it in the drive every time you felt like playing it.

DRM can't prevent piracy from people who know what they are doing, DRM can only block out the average user.

I mean the WII U has already been cracked to allow you copy/ install games to the hard drive.

The kind of DRM Microsoft imposed would mean nothing to a true digital pirate. All it had the potential to do is interfere and harm the experience and destroy rights of legitimate customers.

Last edited:
Too little too late. They already lost me as a customer for good, after being with the 360 since the beginning.
I think it's ridiculous that they are trying to pass it off as "we listened to our customers", especially after they double-downed on their original policy and defending it over and over. If Sony never had their regular used games policy, MS never would have changed theirs, that much is obvious.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
They're not doing it because of the fans, they're doing it because they don't want to lose money. Did you not pay attention back when they said they wouldn't change their policies? Wake up to reality. You're thinking exactly what they want you to, TBR.

Salem

SICK
Oh yes, you'll have to excuse me. Clearly Microsoft is the only company that takes back decisions based on their prospective sales. I forgot that the beloved Nintendo and Sony operate on a strict customer satisfaction basis and are operating non-profit...

Please, bite my knees for being so naive.
I don't remember anyone saying the others were charity organisations.

Sadly, they've fallen prey to the golden rule of the internet. Once hated, always hated. Which is a shame, as I was genuinely looking forward to seeing a similar console war to the previous generation just with a little more Nintendo thrown in there. Now, even before the release of two of the consoles, people have already made their minds up. On a forum board dedicated to a Nintendo franchise, I thought ours would have been the first community to at least wait to see the quality of the games before we allowed the still lingering aftertaste of now discarded [and moronic] policies to cement our judgement of a yet-to-be released console. Seems not, for the most part.
This isn't the golden rule of the internet, the consumer in general doesn't forget that easily, I mean come on, these news are still fresh, we'll have to wait and see the next few months if the consumers still "hate" the Xbone.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
TheBlueReptile said:
Oh yes, you'll have to excuse me. Clearly Microsoft is the only company that takes back decisions based on their prospective sales. I forgot that the beloved Nintendo and Sony operate on a strict customer satisfaction basis and are operating non-profit...

Please, bite my knees for being so naive.

LOL! Ikr. People seem to be using the "They're doing this for money" as some form of negative. Completely clueless. :P Every developer and every publisher, even Nintendo who people here adore no matter what, do everything to make money. That is their primary concern. All that matters is we, as gamers, benefit as they make their money. I love companies like Valve and CD Projekt, they're extremely generous, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that generosity isn't done so I like them and therefore buy more of their games.

Every company makes mistakes. Every person in the world makes mistakes. Just shows how petulant some gamers can be when they can't accept that. But they will be forgiven once the immature, yet very vocal, minority shut up about it, which they will. Or they'll continue to cut their noses off to spite their face and we can enjoy our console without them! So, we win either way. Also, I seem to recall everyone swearing off Playstation after the big hack; when Sony's security measures were revealed to be just a sticker on a door saying "Don't steal plz", and everyone lost all their information. Many comments of people never trusting Sony with their information again were everywhere. We've all forgotten about that now haven't we, we all love Sony now. Because they made a mistake with their security, they fixed that mistake, apologised, and we moved on. MS' mistake isn't even close to that bad. We never even experienced these schemes, so no one was effected. At all. The only people effected are websites who just lost a controversial thing to write about and get a lot of ad revenue from. ;)

As for me, I think the Xbox One will definitely be my first console, now. Not only did I like the Xbox originally, but I want to support this. MS sets a good precedent, of listening to gamers, just like EA did when they listened and removed online passes. If companies keep listening to gamers, that's brilliant. So, I for one respect Microsoft for it and look forward to my new console! I also look forward to Halo 5.

DarkestLink said:
There's only one rule on the internet: There are no rules.

Ahem. Rule 34, thank you very much.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Of course everyone does what they're doing to make money. The problem here is that Microsoft is doing it *ONLY* to make money, i.e. they aren't showing any signs of being human. Nintendo and Sony primarily do shiz not just to make money, but also for that customer satisfaction so that people continue to buy their products. You know, releasing a great Zelda game every so often, releasing Mario almost if not yearly, etc. Microsoft treats their customers as disposables, whereas Sony and Microsoft treat them a little more like, yknow, friends or something. I wouldn't say I'm family or super buddy-buddy with Nintendo/Sony, but they treat me better than Microsoft would ever remotely consider.

Microsoft's reversing its policies isn't some Godly driven move, it's just doing the right thing. It would be like if Sony and Nintendo pick up trash off the street and put it in the litter bin, Microsoft throws its trash on the street then later turns around and throws their trash into the bin. It isn't really spectacular what any of the companies are doing, it's just really common sense. nam sayin ya dig

However thats not really what I came to this thread to talk about. What I came to this thread to talk about is how EVERY company - Microsoft included - says in their PR statements that they listen to the "Xbox community" or the "Sony community" or the "Nintendo community". What about the GAMER community or the GENERAL CONSUMER? How do you know these aren't people who don't EVEN GAME? Don't you want to reach out to the atypical consumer to attract them as well?

/nitpick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom