• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft:Kinect Will Outsell Wii Launch

Kirino

Tatakae
The following comes from Nintendo Everything:

Microsoft: Kinect will outsell Wii launch

October 29th, 2010 “We haven’t given any projections beyond this holiday, but this will be the largest launch we’ve ever had as a business. We’ll definitely sell more sensors than the Wii sold when it launched or the Xbox 360 sold when it launched.” – Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg
I honestly cannot see Kinect selling as much as the 360 at launch, much less besting the Wii’s launch numbers. There hasn’t been nearly as much advertising for Kinect as there was for Wii, the install base of the 360 is smaller than the Wii’s, and I don’t think the casual market will latch onto Kinect as quickly as Microsoft thinks they will. Ah well.. I hope it does well for them, but I don’t think it’ll top what they think it will.

Here are some of the comments:

319463e3dc4d739372bb6c161ecfd28e

By NickCutter2 on Oct 30, 2010
Even it does I have a pro tip.
3DS will outsell kinect launch. Everyone copies Nintendo and they move on with a 3D handheld. The third parties have finally seen Nintendo is a step ahead of everyone.
[Reply]
b70a7aab12c0cc1abeaaed0304fcabef

By Captain N on Oct 30, 2010
They are dillusional…. it won’t sell that much and after a few minutes trying out a game people will get tired….. I was in Disney World this week and I went on this ride called soaring….. but while waiting on line they had these big screens that the audience could interact with moving their arms …after 5 mins everyone got tired and stopped playing the mini games….. it shows using your whole body gets annoying quickly :/
[Reply]
2e2677a5142a7d114a8ced1ccb6d0af0

By NekoKnight on Oct 30, 2010
You want my predictions? Kinect will be the end of the XBOX 360, and Microsoft will leave the gaming industry for good (unless they start up a game developing branch and make games for other systems.) Nintendo and Sony will be the only “major” contenders in the videogame market. The 3DS will result with Sony ditching the PSP and portable gaming altogether to put more focus and the PS3 and MOVE. A camera device that can track your movement is already available for the Wii from EA games, though I don’t know if it’s as extensive as Kinect. In the end, Nintendo will come out on top. Again.

I personally think the 3DS will outsell Move and Kinect.At least Move is something new,but Kinect seems to be copying the Wii,IMHO.What about you?

[Reply]
b70a7aab12c0cc1abeaaed0304fcabef

By Captain N on Oct 30, 2010
They are dillusional…. it won’t sell that much and after a few minutes trying out a game people will get tired….. I was in Disney World this week and I went on this ride called soaring….. but while waiting on line they had these big screens that the audience could interact with moving their arms …after 5 mins everyone got tired and stopped playing the mini games….. it shows using your whole body gets annoying quickly :/QUOTE]

(sorta off topic!) things like this scare me for SS, I don't want to get tired in 5 mins swinging my arm like a sword. Although sounds cool, all I'm hoping for is not to have to stand up. (back on topic)

I highly doubt it will sell more then wii, since wii has already a lot of games, and it doesn't cost 400 bucks for the system, then 200 bucks (or 100, how ever much it costs) fore the motion thing. And then of corse, there is a lot of games coming out for wii to (metroid, epic micky, donkey kong exc). there is NO WAY they can sell more then wii.

I find these kind of quotes amusing.

It seems like both Microsoft and Sony are trying to outsell the Wii but they're fighting a lost cause this generation, IMO. Nintendo has already "bought" the casual audience and I doubt most of them will switch to a newer console anytime soon. However, the way they're going, I do think Sony might cause some competition to Nintendo next generation. It's all speculation, of course.

Steve

5/19/13
The problem they will have here, is that the Xbox 360 is generally a hardcore gamer console, and only now are they trying to attract the casual gamers, most of which have a Wii. It's not a bad technology, although certainly too early for such a thing, but it is a bit late in this gaming generation for them to get a lot in sales.

I find some of the comments rather humorous, though, because Nintendo is not ahead at all. All they have been doing so far is implementing these horrific gimmicks into their hardware, like dual screens, 3D, motion sensor, as if they're making a revolution. All they're doing is limiting the quality of the games being made for their systems. I want the old Nintendo back; the one that focused on their games, and not ways to convince themselves they're doing something tremendous, when they really aren't at all. The Kinect being the end of XBox 360? Only in the dreams of a Nintedno fanboy. The Kinect isn't replacing the normal line of games, but merely an add-on to promote casual gaming, that will be ignored by most hardcore gamers.

As for the 3DS, its popularity will only last as long as the DS's, because Nintendo is making the same mistake of releasing all of its major franchises at launch, and leaving nothing for the years after. The other problem, just as the Wii has, is that third-party developers who often make really good titles, don't want to waste their time adjusting to things like motion and 3D. Because of this, either the quality of those games will diminish, or they simply will not make games for the console period. This of course, forces us to rely on the first-party games, which as I pointed out, get released within the first few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom