• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask: Termina - a Strange World

Tael

Fairy
Warning: The following contains some ending details (OoT, MM)

After I read several articles and forum threads about Majora's Mask theorys I looked out for unnormal things in the game. I think there are many things to talk about after you read this ;)

By the way: It can take some time to read all my notes.

Intro:
Link (probably searching Navi from OoT/ she flys away at the end of OoT) gets attacked by Skull Kid, who steals his Ocarina (the Ocarina of Time -> OoT).
Then he falls into a hole and the game is beginning.

I found a game description from Nintendo (here: http://www.nintendo.de/NOE/de_DE/games/n64/legend_of_zelda_majoras_mask.html).
It gives a short overview over the game. Nothing special without this:
It is said that...
... Link is searching Navi
... MM takes place 3 months after Link has beaten Ganon, so that the Link from OoT is the same than the one from MM
... The world of Termina is a parallel-universe to the World of Hyrule

Some interesting things from the game I noticed:
- When falling throgh the magical Portal (the articel tells that it is one) you see different things:
an ocarina (-> Ocarina of Time?), the Deku mask, a clock (Clock town?, Song of Time?), a ghost, a Goron face (Goron Mask?), even Majora's Mask and some other things (difficult to figure all out).
- When Link is getting cursed by the skull kid, the water, you see there, seems to be very deep but you can walk on it.
- Same room: When Link sees in the light where the Skull Kid stood before, he can see different forms.
The light also seems to have no source (coming from nowhere)
- next room: When moving around the middle, lights are appearing.
- next room: The tree looks like a Great Deku Tree, but somehow really strange.
- When going to the Clock Town Tower first there is a twisted corridor similar to the ones in the Forest Temple in OoT
- The Owl Statues: "Ye who hold the sacred sword" (= Master Sword). Link doesnt hold it anymore...
- The shield from MM is NOT the same than from OoT
- End: Link rescues the world and may not take part in their party...
- It seems that the Song of Time dosn't have the same effect to the owl like to the others. He is also indicating this: "From the first time you play this song, we shall become eternal friends, transcending time and place!"

Termina - a parallel-world
You see during the game many people who are very similar to the ones in Hyrule (OoT), but they arent the same.
As a result from this, there are many interesting questions like
Are there other gods in termina like the Golden Goddesses in Hyrule ?
-> When you compare the spells Link has in OoT with them in MM you will notice that spells like Din's Fire are missing.
-> When you meet the Owl the first time he is saying that the swamp area lost its Guardian Deity. So maybe the Giants are the Deitys of Termina.
-> But, the Triforce is also seen at some places in the game. (There are also forum topics about this here)
- Every Race in OoT is also seen in MM without the Kokiri. Why ?
- Will Link finnaly find Navi ?
- Will Link find a way back to Hyrule or is he stuck in Termina for the rest of his life ?

Who comes from where ?
Now there are at least 4 characters we can not be sure if they come from Hyrule or Termina:
The Skull Kid, the Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask and the Skull Kid

Why this?
At the beginning the Happy Mask Salesman knows Links real form and that the skull kid stole a useful item (->Ocarina of Time) from him. He says that he followed Link, so he maybe knows a "safer" way to get throgh the portal.
He also tells that he found Majoras Mask before the Skull Kid stole it from him. Did he found the mask before or after geting throgh the portal ?
The Skull Kid: He seems to know Link from the smell (ending) which could mean that there is a Link in Termina as well, BUT this can also mean that he also fell through the portal. While Tatl has a flashback in Termina-field 'Saria's Song' is played in the background, what could be a clue.
Majoras Mask: This depends, when and where the Happy Mask Salesman found the mask.

So we dont know where the Skull Kid, the Happy Mask Salesman, the Skull Kid and Majora's Mask are coming from.
We also dont know if there lives another Link in Termina.
And by the way if Majora's Mask comes from Termina it is possible that there is a Majora's Mask in Hyrule as well.

Majora (very speculative)
It is always said Majora's Mask (including this thread), but who or what is Majora ?
It could be the spirit in the Mask, if there is one.
It could also be the maker or the original-owner.
Anyway, very speculative...

The Dream theory
As in the news-article said, there is a thoery, which saiys that the happenings in MM are just a dream. There are some good explanations, too, BUT if the happenings are making just a bit sense, you can explain it with a dream. You can explain nearly everything with it, so if there another explanation, it is proberbly not a dream.

It is said that Link is protected by the Goddess of Time, maybe she noticed that Link got killed and helped him somehow (never got killed by The Moon in MM).
As it is said in the Nintendo-article above Termina is located in another universe, which means that you can't be sure that in Termina are the same "rules" like in Hyrule.
I hope you understand what I mean...

----------------------------------------------
Overall we can say that the details of the MM-story can be very confusing and there are many unanswered Questions, open for speculations and theorys.

Comments ?

Flagpole

I'm back!!
First of all, I would highly recomend you to try to make your post much more organized, so that it is cleaner and thus gives a better appereance. Second off, you mentioned the Skull Kid two times, each time as a different character. If you don't understand me, here's what you wrote:

Now there are at least 4 characters we can not be sure if they come from Hyrule or Termina:
The Skull Kid, the Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask and the Skull Kid
So we dont know where the Skull Kid, the Happy Mask Salesman, the Skull Kid and Majora's Mask are coming from.

You give some nice points throughout your post, and it seems you have done an intense research. All of the facts given in your post make it so that people can make a theory much easier than before, especially because what you are giving can define many things, but, as you said in the final of your post, these facts give a lot of questions which are unanswered throughout the game. Good work in here.

I'll most probably try to make a theory out of all of these facts, and maybe I'll base my theory on some more. Anyways, if you make your post more organizated and clean and I figure out hoiw to do, erm... something, you'll receive a nice surprise from me.

Again will I say it: good work! :)

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Wow. I always thought of Termina being a parallel and opposite world of Hyrule. I could never prove it though, so you did a very big thing for me. I would like to point out the fierce deity mask though. Since Majora gives it to you, I always thought of it also being the Termina Link, because Link was the hero in Hyrule, so maybe Fierce Deity was the evil in Termina. Remember almost everything in Termina is kind of like the opposite in Hyrule. Nice facts!:yes:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I always thought that the "sacred sword " was the Kokiri Sword my theory behind is the Kaepora Gaebora in MM and the one in OoT are the same person(reincarnation) a Gossip Stone in OoT says that Kaepora Gaebora is a reincarnation of an anicent sage maybe a sage related to time.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Hmm...I see your point, Termina is strange there is no doubt but havent you consider the origin of the Majoras Mask. IN the manga a man that highly resembels Fierce Deity (but without makeup) arrives in to a dessert (probably Gerudo dessert or Ikana). He plays a drum and a beast dies and the man carves the mask out of his "shell or armor".

You see it can mean totally 2 things but when we know were the Majora monster was we cant know were and when the Happy Mask Salesman found it.

As for Skull Kid and the Salesman, there is no doubt they are from OoT, the clues as you said,Link smells familiar to Skull Kid and the Happy Mask Salesmean is nervous of the mask of thruth in MM as well in OoT.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I found a game description from Nintendo (here: http://www.nintendo.de/NOE/de_DE/games/n64/legend_of_zelda_majoras_mask.html).
It gives a short overview over the game. Nothing special without this:
It is said that...
... Link is searching Navi
... MM takes place 3 months after Link has beaten Ganon, so that the Link from OoT is the same than the one from MM
... The world of Termina is a parallel-universe to the World of Hyrule
Nintendo websites are not canon. Termina is parallel to Hyrule, as stated in the manual, but the other points are mere speculation (albeit not faulty) on the part of whoever wrote the page, who most likely didn't have any involvement in creating the game.

-> When you meet the Owl the first time he is saying that the swamp area lost its Guardian Deity. So maybe the Giants are the Deitys of Termina.
"Guardian Deity" is also used to refer to the GDT and Jabu-Jabu, etc (I don't know if the Japanese is the same). I think there are higher beings than the Giants. They either are the same goddesses as Hyrule, something to do with the HMS, or something we haven't seen yet (possibly involving the Goddess of Time).
The Skull Kid: He seems to know Link from the smell (ending) which could mean that there is a Link in Termina as well, BUT this can also mean that he also fell through the portal.
SK knows Link's smell because either Link or Saria (who grew up in the same place) taught him Saria's Song.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Two things that total destroy what you just said.

1. Locke 64 mentions a view of game from Nintendo(Look at it it's at top of his post.)

2. It happens after Zelda(Adult) send him back in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom