• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Majora's Mask in Ocarina of Time?!

I'm pretty sure they only put the mask on blocks and statues and baloons, to symbolize the theme of the game, not for....well, historical reasons. Besides, the Happy Mask Salesman was in possession of Majora's Mask, and he is from Hyrule, so it only makes sense that the mask is from Hyrule too.

Sorry, but a design on every block and wall that is clearly Majora's Mask in Termina means a lot more than a pic on the side of the wall of the Spirit Temple really looks almost nothing like Majora's Mask at all. It's an interesting design, but its not Majora's Mask. If the Gerudo used the mask or it was a part of their history, I'm sure we would have heard about it in OoT, or at least in MM itself. But we didn't, so there's no relevance here.

And as for the Happy Mask Salesman and the mask being from Hyrule, there's also no in game evidence that points to this either. When your talking about something like this, something that the designers of the game make no mention of at all, but there are hints towards it, you have two overall options.

First, you have the option that the plot isn't important at all, so they make no mention of it. If, and thats a really big IF, Majora's Mask was from Hyrule, they would have mentioned it. There would be no reason for them not to. Unless....

Second, its an obvious thing, so they don't bother going into detail about it. It is quite obvious that the Mask is from Termina, as that is where the game is set, there are various designs throughout Termina, and many of its townsfolk have details relating to Majora's Mask in their history. Nothing at all points to it being from Hyrule, except you saying that the HMS is from there and he had the mask.

I think its a combination of the two reasons above. The designers put the game in Termina for a reason. They wouldn't have the main boss/antagonist of the game be from Hyrule and not mention it. That would be, just stupid really. The Happy Mask Salesman said he searched far and wide for the mask, and in the cutscene where he gets knocked out by Skull Kid and has the mask stolen, he is in the section of the Lost Woods at the beginning of the game; The section that is obviously very close to the boarder of Termina. So it makes sense that the HMS went to Termina, found the mask, and was on his way back, when he got robbed.

zzRICHzz

own & finished all Zeldas
yeah that really doesn't look like Majora's Mask to me either. the only thing that really resembles MM is the spikes beneath the figure, which stll really just look like horns.

its interesting to think that it might have a realation to Ganandorf's Ganon form. the Ganon form may have been derived from it. but there are too many things wrong with the face on the wall to suport that idea either.

i'm guessing that it isn't MM. its just design to add to the atmosphere of the room.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
Sorry, but a design on every block and wall that is clearly Majora's Mask in Termina means a lot more than a pic on the side of the wall of the Spirit Temple really looks almost nothing like Majora's Mask at all. It's an interesting design, but its not Majora's Mask. If the Gerudo used the mask or it was a part of their history, I'm sure we would have heard about it in OoT, or at least in MM itself. But we didn't, so there's no relevance here.

And as for the Happy Mask Salesman and the mask being from Hyrule, there's also no in game evidence that points to this either. When your talking about something like this, something that the designers of the game make no mention of at all, but there are hints towards it, you have two overall options.

First, you have the option that the plot isn't important at all, so they make no mention of it. If, and thats a really big IF, Majora's Mask was from Hyrule, they would have mentioned it. There would be no reason for them not to. Unless....

Second, its an obvious thing, so they don't bother going into detail about it. It is quite obvious that the Mask is from Termina, as that is where the game is set, there are various designs throughout Termina, and many of its townsfolk have details relating to Majora's Mask in their history. Nothing at all points to it being from Hyrule, except you saying that the HMS is from there and he had the mask.

I think its a combination of the two reasons above. The designers put the game in Termina for a reason. They wouldn't have the main boss/antagonist of the game be from Hyrule and not mention it. That would be, just stupid really. The Happy Mask Salesman said he searched far and wide for the mask, and in the cutscene where he gets knocked out by Skull Kid and has the mask stolen, he is in the section of the Lost Woods at the beginning of the game; The section that is obviously very close to the boarder of Termina. So it makes sense that the HMS went to Termina, found the mask, and was on his way back, when he got robbed.

Um, excuse me, but what about all of those other generally accepted theories, like the theory of the Gerudo having become the Twili, or "New Hyrule". There is basically little to no evidence supporting these theories, and your just blaitantly saying my theory is bogus?! Whats wrong with that picture.

And I find it very unlikely that the HMS just knowingly popped up in Termina, found the mask, and zipped back. Now THATS bogus! One thing you're probably forgetting is that the HMS followed Link into Termina. Plus, what about the theory of the Twili having "created" Majora's Mask. The Twili were originally from Hyrule. So are you gonna call that theory bogus too?!

Oathkeeper95

The Oath of Kinbaku, Tzion, Terra, and Iscariot.
You do have a point with the whole twili creating MM. In fact I believe that theory. hmmm... well i guess maybe MM might have been created in hyrule after all but termina is more likely. Anyway, a design on a pillerthat kinda looks like Majoras Mask isnt conclusive enough to say that MM came from hyrule.

BTW the HMS problably wasnt from hyrule either. And he he was already at Termina when link showed up.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
You do have a point with the whole twili creating MM. In fact I believe that theory. hmmm... well i guess maybe MM might have been created in hyrule after all but termina is more likely. Anyway, a design on a pillerthat kinda looks like Majoras Mask isnt conclusive enough to say that MM came from hyrule.

I know that, I was just pointing out something interesting, and stating a theory of mine.

BTW the HMS problably wasnt from hyrule either. And he he was already at Termina when link showed up.

Um.....no, the HMS followed Link into Termina. He says "now don't think of me as rude, but I have been following you." Play the game again, you'll see it.

Um, excuse me, but what about all of those other generally accepted theories, like the theory of the Gerudo having become the Twili, or "New Hyrule". There is basically little to no evidence supporting these theories, and your just blaitantly saying my theory is bogus?! Whats wrong with that picture.

Lets see. Screen pans over Gerudo Desert when Midna talks about the Twili being a race who were banished. The fact that the race banished to the Twilight Realm and became the Twili are seemingly the same as the group talked about that went with Ganondorf to try and rule the SR. Yep, I think those are pretty solid pieces of evidence for that theory.

New Hyrule? Well lets see there.

WW - Link and Tetra end the game with the King wishing on the Triforce that they will find a new land.
PH - Link and Tetra are shown to be venturing across the ocean, still looking for this land
ST - Takes place 100 years after PH (proven), so OBVIOUSLY, Link and Tetra found a new land. A.K.A., "New Hyrule"

And I find it very unlikely that the HMS just knowingly popped up in Termina, found the mask, and zipped back. Now THATS bogus! One thing you're probably forgetting is that the HMS followed Link into Termina. Plus, what about the theory of the Twili having "created" Majora's Mask. The Twili were originally from Hyrule. So are you gonna call that theory bogus too?!

You really do argue without thinking much at all about what happens in the game.

I clearly said, in Majora's Mask, it shows a scene where Skull Kid attacks the HMS and steals the mask from him. When Link is going to Termina, Skull Kid already has the mask, and attacks him in the woods as well. Its crystal clear. HMS went there, got the mask, came back, was attacked, got the mask stolen. Then, sometime later, Link got attacked by SK with the mask on. Obvious, obvious, obvious.

And HMS followed Link after he was attacked himself in the Lost Woods. He followed him there because he wanted Link to help him get his mask back. You might want to look up these scenes on Youtube, or play the game again, before you go off arguing points that aren't correct. Your questioning theories that have a lot of evidence, up against your theory that a design that looks really nothing like Majora's Mask at all, is Majora's Mask. Your saying that you would believe that this design is Majora's Mask just because YOU think it is, but a developer quote or in game evidence is wrong, and that's backwards.

Last edited:

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
New Hyrule? Well lets see there.

WW - Link and Tetra end the game with the King wishing on the Triforce that they will find a new land.
PH - Link and Tetra are shown to be venturing across the ocean, still looking for this land
ST - Takes place 100 years after PH (proven), so OBVIOUSLY, Link and Tetra found a new land. A.K.A., "New Hyrule"

There is no inclination at all that it is going to be a "New Hyrule", as the king told them to NOT live bound to Hyrule, and that the new land would NOT be Hyrule.
And it is certainly NOT proven that ST takes place 100 years after PH. That THEORY is a load of baloney!

I clearly said, in Majora's Mask, it shows a scene where Skull Kid attacks the HMS and steals the mask from him. When Link is going to Termina, Skull Kid already has the mask, and attacks him in the woods as well. Its crystal clear. HMS went there, got the mask, came back, was attacked, got the mask stolen. Then, sometime later, Link got attacked by SK with the mask on. Obvious, obvious, obvious.

And HMS followed Link after he was attacked himself in the Lost Woods. He followed him there because he wanted Link to help him get his mask back. You might want to look up these scenes on Youtube, or play the game again, before you go off arguing points that aren't correct. Your questioning theories that have a lot of evidence, up against your theory that a design that looks really nothing like Majora's Mask at all, is Majora's Mask. Your saying that you would believe that this design is Majora's Mask just because YOU think it is, but a developer quote or in game evidence is wrong, and that's backwards.

There is absolutely no proof that the HMS first went to Termina, got the mask, was attacked by the SK, and then followed Link back to Termina. Sorry to burst your bubble.:P

I mean, how would he know that there was a mask in Termina, if no one in Hyrule even knows of Termina?!

And I'm not saying that the design I found is absolute proof, I'm just saying that it could be a hint.

There is no inclination at all that it is going to be a "New Hyrule", as the king told them to NOT live bound to Hyrule, and that the new land would NOT be Hyrule.
And it is certainly NOT proven that ST takes place 100 years after PH. That THEORY is a load of baloney!

It really doesn't matter whether you want to think its a theory or not, it has been proven. The king did not say they couldn't name the land Hyrule. Even if they don't, its still technically the "new Hyrule", even if they don't name it Hyrule. It has princess Zelda, a castle, Link, and I'm sure the Triforce will be there somewhere. So yeah, it is a "new" version of what Hyrule was.

There is absolutely no proof that the HMS first went to Termina, got the mask, was attacked by the SK, and then followed Link back to Termina. Sorry to burst your bubble.:P

Its called being obvious. I have said this like, what, three times already, and still for some reason its not getting through to you, so I'll say it once more. When the HMS was attacked, Skull Kid did not have the mask. He had to attack HMS first to get the mask. Later, when Link is attacked, Skull Kid OBVIOUSLY has the mask already. If you can't make the connection there, well, sorry.

I mean, how would he know that there was a mask in Termina, if no one in Hyrule even knows of Termina?!

No one said anywhere that no one from Hyrule knows anything about Termina. HMS makes it clear that he searched for the mask, and that he travels frequently in search of rare masks. Obviously (again), he either went to Termina, learned of the masks history there, and saught to acquire it, which he did, OR, he already knew of the history of the mask and went there to get it.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
It really doesn't matter whether you want to think its a theory or not, it has been proven.

Its called being obvious. I have said this like, what, three times already, and still for some reason its not getting through to you, so I'll say it once more. When the HMS was attacked, Skull Kid did not have the mask. He had to attack HMS first to get the mask. Later, when Link is attacked, Skull Kid OBVIOUSLY has the mask already. If you can't make the connection there, well, sorry.

No one said anywhere that no one from Hyrule knows anything about Termina. HMS makes it clear that he searched for the mask, and that he travels frequently in search of rare masks. Obviously (again), he either went to Termina, learned of the masks history there, and saught to acquire it, which he did, OR, he already knew of the history of the mask and went there to get it.

Look, you believe in your theories, I believe in mine. So lets just drop this and get back on topic.

Look, you believe in your theories, I believe in mine. So lets just drop this and get back on topic.

This is on topic. Your thread, your argument, so its on topic. And these things are not "theories". You always seem to come up with these wild ideas of things that go completely against what the developers have told us, what the games themselves show, and what we know that has been proven by any other means. It is not a "theory" that HMS went to Termina to get Majora's Mask, its a fact. Its not a "theory" that Skull Kid attacked him first, then Link later, after he had acquired Majora's Mask, is obviousness.

Your original "theory", or the main topic, was that you believe that the design in the Spirit Temple is Majora's Mask. When you start giving reasons for why you believe this, such as how you believe its from Hyrule and how the HMS did this and didn't do that, then that's still on topic with your thread.

I agree, its a strange design, but again, if it were Majora's Mask, we would have some clear evidence towards it, and not a bunch of random connections of what might be and could be that go against what has been and is.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
This is on topic. Your thread, your argument, so its on topic. And these things are not "theories". You always seem to come up with these wild ideas of things that go completely against what the developers have told us, what the games themselves show, and what we know that has been proven by any other means. It is not a "theory" that HMS went to Termina to get Majora's Mask, its a fact.

That is not a fact. When did the developers say that Majora's Mask was from Termina?! Where in the game or in media does it specifically say that Majora's Mask is from Termina?! Cause I've never heard or seen it.

I know, I don't have a lot (or any at all) proof for my theory, but that doesn't automatically mean you have a ton of proof for yours. So stop saying that everything your saying is fact, cause not all of it is.

Its not a "theory" that Skull Kid attacked him first, then Link later, after he had acquired Majora's Mask, is obviousness.

I know that!

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat

And I'm not saying that the design I found is absolute proof, I'm just saying that it could be a hint.
If you can call spirit tracks being 100 years after phantom hourglass a load of baloney, then where's that put YOUR theory of this odd design we've only seen in the Spirit temple being majora's mask? There's surely proof that 100 years after ph is true, you may want to go read the thread, since there is one on this forum and you seem to strongly disagree with it being 100 years after. Tell me where the developers (correct me if I'm wrong, I think it was a developer who gave us info on timeline placement of st) said the face you're talking about is majora's mask. It doesn't even look a whole lot like majora's mask.
It has:

• "spikes", but there is definitley not enough,
  • A similar shape, but it can easily be said that it is not the same.
Looking at it again, the face barely looks like majora's mask except for spikes, which do not look like mm's spikes.

That is not a fact. When did the developers say that Majora's Mask was from Termina?! Where in the game or in media does it specifically say that Majora's Mask is from Termina?! Cause I've never heard or seen it.

I know, I don't have a lot (or any at all) proof for my theory, but that doesn't automatically mean you have a ton of proof for yours. So stop saying that everything your saying is fact, cause not all of it is.
I agree, it is not a fact. There's not a lot of evidence majora's mask is from Termina. But I will not deny it's not much more or less possible it's from hyrule either. I actually would agree (with darklink) the mask is from termina, and not hyrule if I had to choose.

For Termina

• Twinmold's layer may be evidence, and I think it is possible this was the masks resting place. It was possibly the most well hidden place explored that was actually in Termina (pehaps it's not, but there is a portle that's in termina, and it's possible majora's mask wasn't from hyrule OR Termina.). Just look at what you'd need to do to get there. Fist off you'd need a horse or some other way to get over that little fence thing, probably a shield to defend your self from real bombchu's, some good climbing equipment, or if you some how found the hookshot, you'd need the garo's mask too. Then you have to survive all the exploding rock things. Next you'd have to clear the area of octoroks with some kind of ranged weapon, then climb up the big cliff, or grapple to the trees, THEN get 4-5 people (maybe more) to help you get to the top of the stone tower. After that you'd have to craft some VERY nifty items to get through the stone tower temple, collect the light arrows and have someone sacrifice theirself to flip the tower (there may be a way to not fall, buut I'm not sure), and get to the portle. Probably takes more effort then getting to any other place for your average terminian. Then look at what's on the pillars: a picture of majora's mask! The face in stone tower temple as well, looks a little bit like majora's mask (or maybe it's wrath form).
  • The stone blocks. The majora's mask symbol seems more as if skull kid would have put them there, since the giants wouldn't want the image of this cursed mask in their sacred temples.
  • The game takes place in Termina instead of Hyrule. Not much evidence but it could make sense, so it wouldn't be so farfetched that he (as in link) just hapened to be in this land called Termina.
  • There are more masks to be found in Termina, and also seems to be more important to the people of Termina (like the festival of time). Though this may just be beecause of the whole "mask" theme in the game.
  • Majora's mask only wants to destroy Termina, and nothing other than that. Could it be that majora wants revenge so much it is willing to destroy the world.?
For Hyrule:

• The mask sales man has a mask shop in hyrule. This would at least support he has more plans of living in hyrule rather than any other place.
  • This face you posted about. But to be honest it doesn't look like majora's mask much at all.
There's more to look at in hyrule so I may have missed something. But that could only be a reason to lean towards termina and not hyrule.

But let's go back to reality (as in taking this as seriously as it should be taken since it's just a game). For storyline purposes this would be pointless, if the design WAS mm. Because it just doesn't look enough like majora's mask, so very few people would catch on, and especially be so sure it WAS majora's mask. Then, that must of been a last minute thing to add that design in if it WAS supposed tio be majora's mask. Ocarina of time came out before majora's mask.

Last edited:

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
(pertaining to the walrus cat's post)

Do you honestly want to believe something someone else tells you, or would you rather wait for the game to come out and find out for yourself. Cause until I see in the game that ST is a sequel to PH, I won't believe anything the developers say about it, cause even developers can lie.

And I don't believe that the symbol I found is definite proof, but it could've been the design that inspired Majora's Mask. Plus the eyes on it look very similar to the mask's eyes, IMO.

But you know, maybe, just maybe, Majora's Mask could've been known in BOTH Termina and Hyrule! It's just a theory, but it might kinda make sense.
I believe that Majora is a dark god, right?, right. Well perhaps that dark god was known in both worlds! Its a stretch, but it could've been possible.

Steve

5/19/13
(pertaining to the walrus cat's post)

Do you honestly want to believe something someone else tells you, or would you rather wait for the game to come out and find out for yourself. Cause until I see in the game that ST is a sequel to PH, I won't believe anything the developers say about it, cause even developers can lie.

And I don't believe that the symbol I found is definite proof, but it could've been the design that inspired Majora's Mask. Plus the eyes on it look very similar to the mask's eyes, IMO.

But you know, maybe, just maybe, Majora's Mask could've been known in BOTH Termina and Hyrule! It's just a theory, but it might kinda make sense.
I believe that Majora is a dark god, right?, right. Well perhaps that dark god was known in both worlds! Its a stretch, but it could've been possible.

Unfortunately, you're basing your theory on evidence that does not exist, you need in-game proof that those people knew about Majora's Mask, that the developers based it off a design that has no resemblance to the mask whatsoever, and you especially need evidence that Spirit Tracks is a prequel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom