• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Main Villian Idea!

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I actually did some research and apparently his colour pallet DOES have blonde. I wonder why they made his hair pink then. Perhaps his hair is canonically pink but just in ALTTP.
Weird.
then links awakening and the oracle links would have pink hair to but they don't they are the same link genius:lol:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Nintendo did have clay models of alttp Link back in the day and wouldn't you know? He had pink hair.
here's a Link;):
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/ar...higeru_Miyamoto_ZeldaALTTP1-SuperPlay2-1.html

That was based upon the in-game sprite not his actual canon appearance from the artwork. Seriously, if ALttP really did canonically have pink hair, then I guess that should mean LoZ Link is canonically a young elf eared beardless dwarf or maybe a elf eared beardless leprechaun then, at least until he turned 16.

then links awakening and the oracle links would have pink hair to but they don't they are the same link genius:lol:

No, the OoX/LA Link is actually a different Link from the one in ALttP because in OoX, OoX Zelda just met OoX/LA Link for first time and doesn't recognize him at all.

VitaTempusN92

Well then can you explain why he has pink hair?

Why would Link be a leprechaun or a dwarf? Cause he's short? That's cause it takes up 1 tile. That's limitations due to the art style. We've proven there was no limitation for Link's hair.
The strawman is taking quite the onslaught.

It's not because he's short, it's just how his sprite is designed for his appearance in-game because of the limitations, similar thing goes for ALttP Link and definitely OoX/LA Link. Take a look at this chart to see what I'm talking about:

Link_appearances_canon_and_non-canon_zpsb64844d3.jpg~original

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Xyphon said:
actually did some research and apparently his colour pallet DOES have blonde. I wonder why they made his hair pink then. Perhaps his hair is canonically pink but just in ALTTP.Weird.
I think it's pretty much perceived that the Link from A Link to the Past was due to the colour palette. I'm not full sure on what was the problem, but they did have blonde or a similar colour but because the game was 16 bit, they already used the blonde colour, so they had to go with pink. Don't count on that as I forgot the entire reasoning, but there are a wide range of other rumours.

VitaTempusN92 said:
It's not because he's short, it's just how his sprite is designed for his appearance in-game*because*of the limitations, similar thing goes for ALttP Link and definitely OoX/LA Link. Take a look at this chart to see what I'm talking about:
While I agree with you in some parts, you can't call an in game sprite of a canon game "noncanon". That is wrong, it may not represent the official artwork, or make sense in some regards, but that's his in game look - we can't call that noncanon as it completely goes against the logic of what noncanon essentially is.

Salem

SICK
When people mention the colour pallet limitation, do you know it as a fact? I mean was there a source from Nintendo that says why he has pink hair in the game? Because I looked through interviews and such and I couldn't find anything from Nintendo themselves, I concluded that some guessed that it was a colour limitation and everyone else started to parrot that without knowing wither it was proven or not.

Unless someone can prove it was an actual limitation on the snes, I can't really think that was the reason.

VitaTempusN92

While I agree with you in some parts, you can't call an in game sprite of a canon game "noncanon". That is wrong, it may not represent the official artwork, or make sense in some regards, but that's his in game look - we can't call that noncanon as it completely goes against the logic of what noncanon essentially is.

:facepalm: Then I guess Nintendo should of waited to the 3D gaming era to make games then. Seriously, just because of how certain characters look in-game, doesn't mean that's their actual "canon" appearance", that's why I said "non-canon" cause it may be their representational appearance in-game, so it is "canon" in-game but not in the actual story of the game, that's what the artwork is for. So, let's say for example, just because Agahnim had a green robe in ALttP, does that mean that that is the exact the color of robe he actually canonically wore? No because he clearly had a red robe in the ALttP artwork. Heck, he even had a red robe actually in-game in Oracle of Seasons. You shouldn't determine what characters canonically look like based on how they are seen in-game, especially if the game is 2D and has limitations to character appearances, now that is "wrong", not what I said. I'm just being honest here.

What was the limitation that made his hair pink?

No that makes no sense. There were about 3 blonde colours in Link's palette and a number of brown ones, too. Each character gets their own palette and they can use a colour from that palette as much as they want. Why would they have to go with pink because they already used the blonde? That's nonsense.
The most likely reason is because of the colour limitations they wanted his hair to stand out more, because if it was say brown or a dark blonde it would blend in too much especially in the Dark World.

It probably does have more to do with so that Link would stand out more I guess.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
:facepalm: Then I guess Nintendo should of waited to the 3D gaming era to make games then. Seriously, just because of how certain characters look in-game, doesn't mean that's their actual "canon" appearance", that's why I said "non-canon" cause it may be their representational appearance in-game, so it is "canon" in-game but not in the actual story of the game, that's what the artwork is for. So, let's say for example, just because Agahnim had a green robe in ALttP, does that mean that that is the exact the color of robe he actually canonically wore? No because he clearly had a red robe in the ALttP artwork. Heck, he even had a red robe actually in-game in Oracle of Seasons. You shouldn't determine what characters canonically look like based on how they are seen in-game, especially if the game is 2D and has limitations to character appearances, now that is "wrong", not what I said. I'm just being honest here.
Well noncanon is basically entering the realm of fiction maybe even fan fiction, this is not the case here. For one Zelda is a series based off of games, not concept art, plus nothing is set on stone, appearances change all the time, some changes might not make "logical" sense, but hey welcome to the series.

Instead of using "noncanon", I think a better wording would be - a different representation of the character to fit the game and/or due to technical limitations. Anyway, we are heavily off topic here.

Last edited:

It probably does have more to do with so that Link would stand out more I guess.

You got it backwards, boss. The in-game character portrayal is always the canon portrayal, while the artwork is wherein the errors often may lie. This is a basic, fundamental "rule" in gaming, so to speak. However, that whole pink hair incident is a special case, and it can be attributed to a color palette error, as others have mentioned (errors are not counted as canon, unless they are retconned in by Word of God). The exact details behind the error are currently unknown (to us right now), unless someone motivated enough feels like hunting for an official interview...

Wow, I just realized the original topic of this thread. Derailment disengaged. Topic is now back online at 9:04 EST.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm not aware of any universal "rule" for what is canon.

I also think the overwhelming majority of evidence points to a blonde Link, and ALBW having the same Link will confirm that for good.

I'm not aware of any universal "rule" for what is canon.

I also think the overwhelming majority of evidence points to a blonde Link, and ALBW having the same Link will confirm that for good.

As my previous post stated, I was referring to the unwritten "rule" of videogame artwork, wherein what is seen in-game is what it is, while what is seen in the game manual artwork (etc.) can be, and often is, erroneous... That whole "canon rule" wasn't meant to be taken literally. (That whole pink hair thing from ALttP is a special case where the error lies in-game rather than the official artwork.)

A great example that comes from the top of my head is this one magazine—GameInformer, I believe—that used to showcase a subscriber input-based column on a variety of subjects. One of those subjects involved an official artwork design whereupon an RPG character was drawn with two right hands (she was depicted reading a book with both thumbs on the same side of each respective hand). The character in question obviously has a right and left hand, with both thumbs in their correct positions in-game. Believe it or not, that one erroneous detail sparked a plethora of theories... o_O

Okay, this is my second and last time breaking a rule here in this thread, or ever. I have nothing to add to the initial topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I think you mean SNES/GBA Link (ALttP Link). Gameboy Link (OoX/LA Link) is a different Link cause Zelda acts like she just met him for first time and doesn't recognize him in OoX. Plus to mention Gameboy Link (OoX/LA Link) never had pink hair in-game, he had black hair in game.

dude its confirmed that they're the same guy,even i theorized that they were all one

VitaTempusN92

dude its confirmed that they're the same guy,even i theorized that they were all one

:facepalm: Then WHY doesn't Zelda remember him in ORACLES!!??

Watch this video for proof:

(Skip to 1:26 and from there, please READ every single sentence of text in the text boxes.)
[video=youtube;Luhcsf3Qzgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luhcsf3Qzgc[/video]

After you done watching, if you STILL think it's the same Link, here's a screenshot of the game containing the text I'm referring to:

Link_saves_Zelda_OoX_different_generation_proof1_z  psbbc8994c.png~original

No point in saying the possibility that maybe OoX could be before ALttP cause HH already confirmed OoX after ALttP as proven here:

DeclineTimeline2_zps865293cb.jpg~original

And also look at the concept art comparison:

Zelda_ALttP_OoX_Link_and_Zelda_Compare_zpsa2868d52  .jpg~original

Notice how OoX Link and Zelda seem younger than ALttP Link and Zelda and that their outfits are somewhat different from each other.

Well there you have it, proof that the Link and Zelda of OoX is a different generation than in ALttP.

VitaTempusN92

It could be a different Zelda but the same Link from alttp.

That is very impossible and doesn't make any sense considering ALttP Zelda is like 14/15 and Oracles Zelda is about 11/12. The is they're too close in age. Plus HH has no confirmation of another Zelda around ALttP Link's age. Speaking Link's age, another thing is that, as I said in my previous post, I noted that Oracles Link seems younger than ALttP Link in comparison, ALttP Link appears to be about 14 at least considering he still sounds young in-game in the GBA version and I still sounded about that young when I was his age. On the hand, Oracles Link seems about 12/13, younger than ALttP Link. If you actually think about it logically, you'd see it makes better sense that Oracle's Link and Zelda are a different generation of the two than ALttP's Link and Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom