• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lowering the Price of Games

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Wrong. They'd save.
Infact a game like Metro used less then a 10th of the budget of the previous COD, they both sell for 60 dollars.
Shovelware still sells 60 dollars when its new.
That's one example. You seriously don't think if development costs went down around the board, for every developer, the price of games would drop too?

Its also greatly their own faults for spending that much making games. Don't get me wrong I love it when people put work into games they make, but, explain why back in the SNES days selling 4 million copies was a smash hit, but now 4 or 5 million copies of Tomb Raider was considered a failure.

Yes licensing is a thing, for both the console you release on and the IP's. So that cost isn't one that you can reduce, but you telling me they can't cut cost on production and still make high quality games, when we've seen it done?

I don't think we're talking about the same thing anymore. Nowhere did I say you need a big budget to make a good game... I wasn't even implying it either...

What incomplete games are you playing?

Also, this was a legit question, Darkest.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Also, this was a legit question, Darkest.

My answer is a bit of an oxymoron since I tend to avoid these games rather than play them. Last one I recall playing was Force Unleashed. My friend and I were playing it on his Xbox360. He said he hadn't bought all the levels yet. DLC was a completely foreign concept to me at this time and when I asked more, we checked it out...and I coulda sworn half those levels were already available on the Wii version.

If you want a better example though, try looking at EA's library.

Salem

SICK
If companies are intent on selling day one dlc, it would entice customers to buy them if the game itself wash't at full price, if it was priced 75% the average price of a new game or something.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

I found a nice comment on that...

Considering the sales figures for games that are "bleeding edge" absolutely DESTROY the sales figures for games that are pushing the realistic graphical medium... the majority is obvious. The difference is what crowd is more vocal? Is it the "supposed" hardcore realistic graphic junkies or the people who just play games because they are fun?

Right, it's the junkies. You cannot let the vocal minority deter the reality of the situation. the only way you can tell the size of the crowds is sales. Not "what you here talked about". Sales figures for games that aren't like those games are generally much higher. Mario Kart Wii, as an example, sold 34 million. That's more than the entire halo series combined. The difference? Mario Kart players don't litter gaming sites and forums. People tend to forget that these gaming sites and their fans are a NICHE in the industry. They representing hundres of thousands of gamers, maybe even a few million.

There are almost 300 million console owners plus 100's of millions of handheld gamers... plus all the smartphone and tablets and PC's... just saying: Generally the crowds you hear about the most or the friends you here talking about it the most are the minority. As an example:

When I was in my last college class there were 5 of us who regularly talked about games. Mostly CoD, Halo, Zelda, and the occasional outside game like Skyrim. After doing a poll of the class, it turned out the entire class (a class with 120 students) all played video games regularly. The differnce? Only 5 of us actively talked about it. The favorite games in the class? Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, and surprisingly The Legend of Zelda (we lumped all the Zelda votes into one because mnany voted for several different Zelda games). Call of Duty came in 8th, Halo came in 17th.

Do you see what I am getting at? We tend to forget on the internet, and among our friend groups, there tend to be lots of different type of gamers. Only a very vocal minority "care" enough, or make gaming such a focused part of their lives, to activily talk about it all the time. My mom is a gamer. She plays more video games than I do.

Also it's not an opinion that Skyrim sold because it's a great game. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have sold.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
This is a good read, and I have to whole heartidly agree with some points made.
Tomb Raid again is my example, 4 million sales, and oh you didn't make money on it? The game was reviewed so well, received high marks from any one who played it, and was a best selling title, and it was a failure financially.

I swear its their budget thats the problem, there is no excuse for a game doing that well, and still be a failure, non at all.

You can't expect a niche game like Tomb Raider to sell 10 million over night, its not call of duty, you don't have people who previous episodes of it online, excited to pick up the next one.

Its not a super niche game, but it doesn't have the same amount of fan base for it as some other big name games.

We all like pretty things, but if it means all the money of a game was put into making it pretty rather then making it a great game (again not calling Tomb Raider bad, this is just a generalization) and then wonder why you can't sell 10 million copies, then there is little hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom